Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Owner Testimonial Shows How Safe Chevy Volt Actually Is

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-13, 06:34 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Owner Testimonial Shows How Safe Chevy Volt Actually Is

Sometimes an entire story is told by only some images and a few words.

This is one of those stories.

Below you’ll see a letter addressed to John Hughes, Chevrolet Volt Marketing & Promotions Manager. The author of the letter if Dr. Kerry Johnson. The video will let you in on who this Johnson guy is and why he wrote this letter.

Hi Mr. Hughes,

I got your name from my Volt Dealer here in Orange County, CA.

I bought a 2013 Volt in November 2012 for my 20 year old daughter Caroline and we all loved it.

I have a Porsche 911s and a BMW 740il. The Volt was our favorite car to drive.

On August 3rd, a drunk driver hit our Volt so hard it knocked the Volt off the road down a 15 foot embankment. Caroline in the Volt rolled several times down the embankment before hitting a tree. Caroline was taken by ambulance to a local hospital where she suffered only a black eye, arm lacerations and stiches to her left foot. Our Farmers insurance adjuster said he never saw a car that mangled without a fatality.

We are grateful to you and GM for making the Volt so safe. The fact that Caroline survived that crash was miracle from God and the 10 Volt airbags. I am in the middle of buying another Volt right now and thought you would like to share this story with anyone else at GM or with any potential Volt buyers.

Dr. Kerry Johnson

P.S. Attached are the photos of the accident. Feel free to call me for any more details.

The Chevy Volt is safe. What more can we say?

http://insideevs.com/video-owner-tes...t-actually-is/
Old 10-02-13, 07:23 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Looks like a well orchestrated advertisement. I'd love to see verification of this.
Old 10-02-13, 08:04 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by praetor
Looks like a well orchestrated advertisement. I'd love to see verification of this.
IMO, it happened and they probably GAVE them a new Volt if they agreed to do all this...
Old 10-02-13, 08:10 AM
praetor
Racer

That's possible. I just found the letter a tad far fetched. Between the Porsche 911 and the BMW 740il, the Volt is their favorite to drive. LOL
Old 10-02-13, 08:40 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could have happen the same way in any car. This does not prove anything.

It's great the driver was not hurt, but that does not mean the volt is safer than most other cars.

a little while back a soccer player punched a referee and it turned out that one punch killed the referee. Just bad luck, not every punch will kill a person, and not every accident is the same. Now if you told me no one has ever died in a Volt accident, that might mean a lot, but one accident doesn't prove anything.

I do not like the way the roof collapsed so much, but likely this was more blind luck than anything special or magical about the Volt.

Kind of like in 'Pulp Fiction' where the guy unloads an entire 357 Magnum at Jules and Vincent but doesn't hit anything.

Last edited by rai; 10-02-13 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-02-13, 08:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

OK, I'm glad their daughter survived with only minor injuries (and thank God for it). But lots of cars today are reasonably crash-resistant, even small ones. And it does not change my firm conviction that, for what you get, the Volt was overpriced from Day One and is still overpriced, though slightly less-so with the recent price-drop.

And, of course, the obvious......she was hit by a drunk driver, so it shows that we still aren't doing enough to keep these public menaces off the road. This kind of stuff will keep happening if judges don't lock them up.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-02-13 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-02-13, 09:32 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rai
This does not prove anything.

It's great the driver was not hurt, but that does not mean the volt is safer than most other cars.
its doesn't mention anywhere that is safer than any other cars, just that it's safe.

Last edited by bagwell; 10-02-13 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-02-13, 10:05 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Next thing you know Tesla is going to jump on this the next time an accident happens in a S
Old 10-02-13, 10:50 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And it does not change my firm conviction that, for what you get, the Volt was overpriced from Day One and is still overpriced, though slightly less-so with the recent price-drop.
Agreed, although, it is possible to get a pretty good deal on one. Also, let's not forget that it has one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings of nearly any car built today. I guess to own one is to love one.
Old 10-02-13, 11:15 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I think that the important message for Chevy to get out is that there was no issue with the Lithium-Ion battery.
Steve
Old 10-02-13, 12:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

That was a big hit but I have seen people walk away from worse then that. I think the part where he states that they like their Volt over their BMW or 911 is a joke.
Old 10-02-13, 12:15 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
That was a big hit but I have seen people walk away from worse then that. I think the part where he states that they like their Volt over their BMW or 911 is a joke.
Some tree hungers are like that, a car could be the absolute worst driving car ever made in history and if it gets 70 mpg pr whatever some people will think its the best car ever made.

This is what I like about Tesla, they make cars that stand toe to toe and at the same price as many performance sedans plus happen to be electric. Tesla, safe, fast, ok looking and doesn't cost twice what it should cost it competes on price with an Audi S7 or whatever.

I don't really care for a Tesla, but at least they are really fantastic cars that just happen to be electric.

The Volt to me seems to be just like a Fit or whatever at twice the cost.
Old 10-02-13, 12:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by rai
Some tree hungers are like that, a car could be the absolute worst driving car ever made in history and if it gets 70 mpg pr whatever some people will think its the best car ever made.

This is what I like about Tesla, they make cars that stand toe to toe and at the same price as many performance sedans plus happen to be electric. Tesla, safe, fast, ok looking and doesn't cost twice what it should cost it competes on price with an Audi S7 or whatever.

I don't really care for a Tesla, but at least they are really fantastic cars that just happen to be electric.

The Volt to me seems to be just like a Fit or whatever at twice the cost.
Old 10-02-13, 12:25 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

is it me or do her legs/feet look wrong like photoshopped?

Old 10-02-13, 12:28 PM
praetor
Racer

This entire video and letter smells of advertisement propaganda.

Quick Reply: Owner Testimonial Shows How Safe Chevy Volt Actually Is