Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NYC motorcycle gang ride altercation with family in SUV

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-13, 01:52 PM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glashub
Guy in LR was with wife and child.
This.

Both parties handled it like asshats (Can I say that?), but if i felt my family were being threatened, I can't say that i wouldn't do the same.....
Old 09-30-13, 01:55 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Glashub
The only problem is that I'd bet that a number of those bikers had guns.
Really? Based on what?

Same type of thinking that cause the LR driver to escalate the situation in the first place. There was no threatening action toward him after the first bump, but he got scared and hauled *** away from the scene for absolutely no reason.

Bikers were ok up until the point where they tried to yank the door open.
Old 09-30-13, 02:02 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
There was no threatening action toward him after the first bump, but he got scared and hauled *** away from the scene for absolutely no reason.

IMO, it looks like the bikers were harassing the LR in the first place....so they were already pissed for some reason even BEFORE the bump....THEN came the bump
Old 09-30-13, 02:27 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

What a bad situation all around. I'd say both parties were at fault, but I'm going to put the initial blame on the motorcycles. I've been caught up in a similar situation on PCH and it's very frightening when your lane and all lanes around you get overtaken. There's no place to go. If you stop, you risk causing causing a pile-up.
The best thing the RR should had done after the initial accident was to stop and call 911. Actually, maybe he or someone else did. What gets me is there's no police present for the entire thing. A group that large should have been monitored by the police so these exact situations can be handled.
Old 09-30-13, 02:52 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I feel so bad for the guy in the RR. He had apparently called 911 before he hit the bike to start with, so there's obviously a lot more to this footage than what has been released. No party involved was perfect, but that must've been very traumatic for the wife and child to witness.
Old 09-30-13, 02:56 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Mob mentality, the biker that slowed down put himself as a road hazard by slowing and promoting the LR to hit him. The one biker who attempted to approach the driver is further escalating the situation. With that many bikers with an already demonstrated heard activity, the LR driver would be fearful. We don't see the initial instances of this so hard to say.
Old 09-30-13, 03:17 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes it looked like that one biker slowed down into the rover's bumper, after riding next to it and looking at the driver, as if taunting him.

It's always one bad apple that spoils the bunch.
Old 09-30-13, 03:24 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geko29
Not even close. He caused an accident, and then when the bikers stopped and ONE person came towards his vehicle, he flipped out and drove right over several others.
I don't really know what happened, but I can legitimately understand someone being a bit scared in that situation, even if the bikers meant no harm.

Plus, regardless, breaking open a window and beating a guy in front of his wife and kid... Not effing cool.

I'm siding with the Rover driver here... and I normally hate everything about RRs/LRs.
Old 09-30-13, 03:48 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

dont be a dumbass and try to brake check and harass an SUV while on a bike then wonder why you get run over. Surround me and break a window in front of my wife and kids? Guns coming out or Im running them over. Stupid mob mentality. Crap like this makes me think about driving around with a go pro so it can be proven someone antagonized me. I saw 3 people at minimum I wouldve shot in self defense in that video. How convenient that the video stops right before they beat the driver.

Think these guys wouldve done this in a CCW state? Oh look its NY n/m

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 09-30-13 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-30-13, 03:55 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

lol. the range rover driver will be set free after them posting that video. obviously bikers faults. if this driver has a clean record, hes a free man.
Old 09-30-13, 04:34 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Really? Based on what?

Same type of thinking that cause the LR driver to escalate the situation in the first place. There was no threatening action toward him after the first bump, but he got scared and hauled *** away from the scene for absolutely no reason.

I know a lot of bikers -- but Google is your friend -- these guy belonged to a LI club (gang). If I'm surrounded by a swarm of motorcycles -- I don't know about you but I'm going to assume some are carrying at least for protection from other motorcycle gangs.

Many gang bikers carry arms legally

By Joe Kafka, Associated Press Writer

It would have been an unusual traffic stop any other time of year in South Dakota, but stopping several armed members of the Outlaws biker gang Thursday evening was not peculiar, a law officer said Friday.

That’s because of the Sturgis motorcycle rally.

Motorcycle gang members carrying concealed handguns are stopped daily during the event that draws throngs of bikers and others to the Black Hills each August, said Capt. Kevin Joffer, district commander of the Highway Patrol at Sioux Falls.

“We tell the media not to sensationalize this because this is not out of the ordinary,†he said. “Please don’t get people excited because this is going on every day at the rally where law enforcement’s encountering these gangs.

“Is it out of the ordinary from what we normally encounter throughout the year in South Dakota? Yes, it is. But the rally is different. Officers stop some of these motorcycle gang members, and there are several of them that do carry weapons.â€

Nearly all of those stopped have the necessary permits that allow them to carry hidden handguns, Joffer added.

Statistics so far during rally week, which began Monday, seem to bear that out. Although several hundred thousand bikers have converged on Sturgis, only 11 people have been arrested for concealed weapons violations, said Capt. Randy Hartley, Highway Patrol district commander in Rapid City.

In exchange for the same consideration, South Dakota honors concealed weapons permits from 16 states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wyoming.

Joffer said a state trooper stopped about 10 Outlaws motorcycle gang members Thursday night on Interstate 90 near Plankinton because of traffic violations. Backup officers were called only because of the large number of vehicles that were stopped, Joffer said.

“One of my sergeants discovered very early on that they were heavily armed, which means probably everybody was armed. There were no problems. They were all polite to him. He did call for some additional backup just to have there because he had multiple people stopped.â€

Joffer said that some of the Outlaws were given traffic tickets but that all of the bikers had permits to carry concealed weapons and they were allowed to continue their trip to Sturgis.

The Highway Patrol official acknowledged that special attention is being paid to motorcycle gangs since a shooting spree Tuesday in Custer State Park between members of two gangs. Authorities have arrested two men affiliated with the Hells Angels for opening fire on several Outlaws at Legion Lake Resort; five Outlaws were struck by bullets and one of them suffered an undisclosed injury.

Since the gunfight, authorities have said they would not be surprised by reprisals. But they added that retaliation may not come during the rally and is likely to pop up anywhere in the country. Both the Outlaws and Hells Angels are reported to have more than 2,000 members in several states.

“We’re all kind of nervous,†Joffer said. “You wonder if maybe something else will come out of this, which potentially could happen.â€

South Dakota law allows people with permits to carry concealed weapons nearly everywhere except bars, courthouses and the Capitol. Violators face up to one year in jail and $2,000 fines.

Those who carry hidden handguns must have their permits in possession.

People do not need permits to carry concealed weapons on their own property or property they rent."

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/genera...s-legally.html
Old 09-30-13, 04:44 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

New york, you can't carry hand guns
Old 09-30-13, 04:58 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Good point and that's interesting because the club is from LI but you're right about no handguns in NY. Still, I'm going to assume several have guns or knives or some kind of weapons if I'm the driver -- that's just me -- a person from NY.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newyork.pdf
Old 09-30-13, 05:03 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

yeah they are. they slashed his tire which is why he pulled over later in the vid.
Old 09-30-13, 05:34 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Some posts here are utterly ridiculous. It must be realized that if NY was a CCW state, everyone would be allowed to carry guns. EVERYONE. Not just a white middle aged man driving around in an upscale SUV, but every thug, every drug addict, all of those motorcycle gang bangers. Instead of some damaged motorcycles and a smashed car window, this situation would have turned into gun fight with several fatalities.

Quick Reply: NYC motorcycle gang ride altercation with family in SUV