Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cars Americans Do Not Want to Buy

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-13, 05:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
I disagree. Fully loaded mass market cars like the Focus compete very well with the ILX feature wise, at a lower price point. Similarly priced cars like the Verano have better powertrain options. We won't mention the issues with Honda's own Civic Si competing against it.

Interestingly, the CSX and El 1.7 did very well in Canada, because they were not much more expensive than a fully loaded Civic.
Originally Posted by Sulu
The Acura EL and CSX, the ILX's predecessors that were only available in Canada, did sell very well but I am not sure why (granted, I never drove one). They seemed to be merely leathered-up Civics to me.
Though I admit I haven't test-driven a CSX (it is not available in the U.S.) I did review and test-drive an ILX. The CSX, from what I could make out in pictures and data, is essentially a redone Civic. That is definitely not the case with the ILX, which, despite some lacking in refinement, is noticeably more upscale than just a redone Civic. So, while I respect mrraider's disagreement with my opinion, to me, the Focus and Golf simply compete more with the CSX than with the more upscale ILX.
Old 09-27-13, 07:30 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like others have said, the title of the thread and article is totally flawed. There's many models not on the list that are worse sales failures. And yeah, the list includes models right at the end of their cycle.

Days in inventory doesn't define whether or not it's a car we want. A lot of that just depends on how automakers/dealers deal with inventory,

Calling the MDX (for example) a vehicle Americans don't want to buy is a bit ludicrous. In fact, it's quite successful. The RLX and ZDX are sales disasters yet they are not on the list. THOSE are cars Americans don't want.
Old 09-27-13, 09:05 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Though I admit I haven't test-driven a CSX (it is not available in the U.S.) I did review and test-drive an ILX. The CSX, from what I could make out in pictures and data, is essentially a redone Civic. That is definitely not the case with the ILX, which, despite some lacking in refinement, is noticeably more upscale than just a redone Civic. So, while I respect mrraider's disagreement with my opinion, to me, the Focus and Golf simply compete more with the CSX than with the more upscale ILX.
"...it [Acura CSX] was not available in the U.S. ... The CSX ... was essentially a redone Civic."

The CSX was a fancy Civic. In fact, it used the front and rear ends (prior to the bucktooth front end) of the JDM (and Southeast Asian) Civic. Before that, the EL was also a Civic with slightly different front and rear ends. They were built and available only in Canada. They were such poorly-dressed up Civics that I could not tell the difference between a Civic, and an EL or CSX unless I was up close to it. (OK, the engines may have been different than what was available for the Civic but it really did not matter.)

The EL was available for 2 generations, starting with the 1997 model year, based on the Gen6 Civic. It was replaced for the 2001 model year, based on the Gen7 Civic.

The CSX followed for the 2006 model year, based on the Gen8 (spaceship) Civic. It thankfully only survived for 1 generation, being replaced by the current ILX earlier this year.

If the claims of the critics are correct, it would seem to me that the ILX is just a slightly fancier dressed-up Civic than the EL or CSX ever were. It is hard to tell at this point, since it has not been on the market that long yet, but just judging by sightings alone, it does not seem to be selling that well in South-central Ontario right now. The Accord is selling very, very well (again, based on sightings alone).
Old 10-02-13, 01:25 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The price premium of the EL/CSX was such that it competed very close to a fully loaded Civic. So it was easy to convince shoppers to step up. Plus, at that time, the Acura brand enjoyed a better reputation from a string of previous solid cars like the Integra, Legend and Vigor.

In 2013, the ILX is a tough sell. Acura should have just worked on making the TSX better.