Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cars Americans Do Not Want to Buy

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-13, 02:59 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
There was a time that the Maxima used to compete with the Taurus SHO and grand prix GTP. It was the sleeper in family car guise. 3 generations of weight gain and CVTs have completely neutered it. Between the Altima 3.5, and the g37, the Maxima is being pushed in to obsolescence by it's own cousins.
Kind of a shame that they let it get to that point
Old 09-26-13, 03:14 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

The list is based on data through August, and I assume that it means for the 2013 model year as the 2013 MDXs were sitting on lots as folks were waiting on the new 2014 MDX that started hitting dealers in June. I saw one stat that in June the 2014 MDX was the fastest seller sitting on the lot only 5 days on average. This makes sense as there were probably many pre-orders. From an Acura perspective, I would have thought the RDX would be on this list. I don't think they are selling very many.

I agree re the Maxima. They aren't worth the premium vs a comparably equipped Altima.
Old 09-26-13, 03:31 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by wasjr
The list is based on data through August, and I assume that it means for the 2013 model year as the 2013 MDXs were sitting on lots as folks were waiting on the new 2014 MDX that started hitting dealers in June. I saw one stat that in June the 2014 MDX was the fastest seller sitting on the lot only 5 days on average. This makes sense as there were probably many pre-orders. From an Acura perspective, I would have thought the RDX would be on this list. I don't think they are selling very many.

I agree re the Maxima. They aren't worth the premium vs a comparably equipped Altima.
It looks like the RDX continues to sell well. Sales for August were 4,381 (+50%) and YTD thru Aug were 30,517 (+81%). With the new MDX Acura should be OK SUV-wise. Not so much sedan wise.
Old 09-26-13, 03:32 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Funny thing is my brother just bought a '10 loaded EX35 w/27K miles yesterday for $23800..

Last edited by Joeb427; 10-16-13 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-26-13, 03:51 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

the ILX is not selling because it's ugly, right?
How could they not see the weird proportions and lines. No one is going to confuse it with an IS.
Old 09-26-13, 04:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

dayum, if a new maxima really ends up looking like that...

as for the list, another 'stetch' on correlation, although some are obviously duds like really old models or 'content and fun free' vehicles like the ilx.

it doesn't make sense because if a manufacturer is building to actual demand, then sales might still be very low, but they just don't build many. i guess that's the case with the other new 'flagship' acura, the rlx - they ain't selling many, but i guess they ain't building many either.
Old 09-26-13, 05:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

1. Acura TSX Sport Wagon
When this vehicle was first released in the U.S., I predicted that Acura was making two major errors with it......no V6 option and no AWD/raised-ground clearance so it could compete with Subaru Outbacks and the Toyota Venza. The sales figures, so far, seem to bear that out. However, the TSX wagon does have a much-better-looking (and more space-efficient) body style than the awkward Honda Crosstour, which does compete with the Venza and Outback.
Old 09-26-13, 05:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The ILX is brand spanking new, and on day one started getting hammered by the likes of the Verano, Focus and Golf.
The ILX doesn't compete directly against the Focus and Golf, both of which are (generally) in a lower price and status class. Its true competitor is the Buick Verano.......which, for several reasons, as you say, is simply hammering it. (I bought a Verano myself).

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-26-13 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-26-13, 06:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
9. No point of the LR2 when the Evoque is here now to fill in the small luxury chic SUV position for LR.
The Evoque, though, sacrifices interior room and outward visibility to the altar of chic-styling....and some of the materials inside don't impress me, either. The LR2, in contrast, lets you get in, sit down with a hat on, carry cargo, and see out clearly past most of the corners.

8. Nissan needs to continue offering this car as their flagship, but they need to step it up, the Avalon, Cadenza, Azera, Impala, Taurus are all solid.
A number of potential buyers avoid the Maxima because of its CVT, though I admit that Nissan, in general, does some of the best CVTs out there today.

7. The Nissan Murano really pioneered the midsize CUV class in the early 2000s, but with more players than ever it has quickly fallen out of the limelight to new players like Sorento, Edge, Santa Fe etc..
The less-expensive Nissan Rogue seems to be seriously eating into Murano sales. The Rogue's price is definitely attracting buyers. One of my neighbors, in fact, just bought one.

5. The Infiniti EX... Where do I begin.. Well to sum up, ax the darn thing.
Same problem as the Honda Crosstour. The screwed it up by rounding off the rear end and losing the cargo-space efficiency.

4. Well the ILX is assembled well, that's about it's only strong suit. Honestly it's what the Civic should be and the ILX needs to do more and be more.
Give it more sound insulation and refinement like the competing Verano has, and I don't see any reason the ILX can't reasonably compete. But Acura skimped on sound-insulation (Buick didn't), and, because of that, the ILX is paying the price.

2. The C30 is a fun little hatch, and has always been competent. It needs a little more sex appeal, AWD and turbo power trains, maybe a R version. Sounds hot!
What it needs is for more people to actually GO to Volvo dealers and look at it. Volvo seems to be anathema to a lot of Americans outside of the greenie/safety-conscious/schoolteacher crowd.....and most of THEM, of course, look at larger Volvos.
Old 09-27-13, 02:41 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The biggest flaw with this article is including the MDX. The new model is selling very well. Of course the old model was going to linger a little, it was on it's way out. They should have omitted the model from this list.

And did I read the ILX section right? "...not offered with an automatic transmission?" Huh?
Old 09-27-13, 05:06 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
the ILX is not selling because it's ugly, right?
How could they not see the weird proportions and lines. No one is going to confuse it with an IS.
you can buy an accord for the same price which is a hell of a lot better
Old 09-27-13, 06:02 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The ILX doesn't compete directly against the Focus and Golf, both of which are (generally) in a lower price and status class. Its true competitor is the Buick Verano.......which, for several reasons, as you say, is simply hammering it. (I bought a Verano myself).
I disagree. Fully loaded mass market cars like the Focus compete very well with the ILX feature wise, at a lower price point. Similarly priced cars like teh Verano have better powertrain options. We won't mention the issues with Honda's own Civic Si competing against it.

Interestingly, the CSX and El 1.7 did very well in Canada, because they were not much more expensive than a fully loaded Civic.
Old 09-27-13, 06:21 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I disagree. Fully loaded mass market cars like the Focus compete very well with the ILX feature wise, at a lower price point. Similarly priced cars like teh Verano have better powertrain options. We won't mention the issues with Honda's own Civic Si competing against it.

Interestingly, the CSX and El 1.7 did very well in Canada, because they were not much more expensive than a fully loaded Civic.

The Acura EL and CSX, the ILX's predecessors that were only available in Canada, did sell very well but I am not sure why (granted, I never drove one). They seemed to be merely leathered-up Civics to me.

When there is only $2000 or $3000 difference in price between a loaded Civic or Corolla and a base Accord or Camry, and the base Accord / Camry is a larger, better car with more features (even at the base level), it gets difficult selecting the smaller car (in North America). IMO, that argument is just impossible to make when the leathered-up smaller car (which is still obviously a Civic) is the same or higher price than the larger, better car.

$2000 or $3000 may be a fair amount of change if you are paying cash for the car, but if you are financing or leasing, the difference in monthly payment becomes almost negligible. Why lease the smaller Civic / ILX if you can lease the Accord for only a few $ more per month?
Old 09-27-13, 07:55 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
And did I read the ILX section right? "...not offered with an automatic transmission?" Huh?
that's an error - only the 2.4L isn't offered with a slushbox (for some dumb reason).
Attached Thumbnails Cars Americans Do Not Want to Buy-capture.jpg  
Old 09-27-13, 09:32 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
dayum, if a new maxima really ends up looking like that...
No kidding!

Regarding the maxima, looks like the altima is cannabalizing it. Size wise, power wise, option wise, and design wise, looks like there's hardly a reason to get the maxima (as also previously mentioned by mrraider).

Last edited by GS3Tek; 09-27-13 at 09:33 AM. Reason: quote

Quick Reply: Cars Americans Do Not Want to Buy