Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official BMW M3 M4 Specs: 430HP, 369LB-FT, Under 3306 Pounds, Bi-Turbo Inline 6 Cyl

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-13, 05:50 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

thats the sacrifice youll have with turbos to try to get "instant response" it will suck at higher rpms in order to achieve that. Hopefully they ironed out the huge amount of common issues the 335 had for this engine. 25% less fuel consumption? The thing is boosting nearly 19 psi. Turbos are even more susceptible to driving habits
Old 09-25-13, 06:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Hmm........I guess this is where the pros and cons of naturally-aspirated engines vs force-induction ones (i.e. turbo, supercharging, etc.) obviously come into play.

With the new twin-turbo setup of the upcoming M3, torque availability is pushed to the earlier end of the powerband...........but once you push it past 6,000 RPM, it begins to lose steam.

The probable effect would be that the closer it approaches top speed (Vmax), then the acceleration would then take a hit.

Personally though, I have no problems with any engine configuration.

Apparently though, some may have felt a sign of relief that the twin-turbo configuration is mated to an inline-6 engine (though I guess this may due to the fact that the forte and expertise of BMW is with straight-six engines)
yeah, i guess i expected different since they claim 7800 RPM redline...

They will probably get better MPG for Europe especially, old one didnt have good MPG, even compared to other V8's.

In past 3-4 years, due to recession and price of fuel, I barely see M3 or M5 anymore. Used to be "everywhere". Now I see them only when i help a friend and go to used car dealerships, and you can get M's and AMG's at lower price than their significantly-less-expensive-when-new diesel versions :-)
Old 09-25-13, 07:19 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
thats the sacrifice youll have with turbos to try to get "instant response" it will suck at higher rpms in order to achieve that.
Hehe yeah I guess so.

On the point of view of tuners and aftermarket modification businesses though, they will definitely like and appreciate something like this.

25% less fuel consumption? The thing is boosting nearly 19 psi. Turbos are even more susceptible to driving habits[
Haha obviously does not apply to lead-footed people

But yeah, my belief when it comes to performance cars is that if you wanna do your donut runs, then be sure that at the end of the day, you're ready to suck up an entire oilfield

Originally Posted by spwolf
yeah, i guess i expected different since they claim 7800 RPM redline...

They will probably get better MPG for Europe especially, old one didnt have good MPG, even compared to other V8's.

In past 3-4 years, due to recession and price of fuel, I barely see M3 or M5 anymore. Used to be "everywhere". Now I see them only when i help a friend and go to used car dealerships, and you can get M's and AMG's at lower price than their significantly-less-expensive-when-new diesel versions :-)
Yeah, like it or not, a lot of people in Europe (especially Southern Europe territories such as Greece) are either downsizing their vehicles.........or are resorting to using public transportation or walking.

P.S.
Btw, in Zagreb, are most people starting to ditch their cars and use the tram network even more?
Old 09-25-13, 10:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

that torque curve doesnt look like the engine will like high rpm's as it goes flat way before the red line... what was the rev limit with old M3?
yes i noticed that too, seems like going with high rpm and the tq drops off. i guess they are just going for the hp at that point?

the e9x m3, i forgot but redline around 8200rpm?

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
M4 vs RC-F will be very interesting. RC will have a more powerful mill with a 461-480hp - no idea on torque though the IS-F was rated at 416hp and 371lbft. And to reiterate 430hp, 369lbft for the M4. IS chassis is already proven to scold the 3-Series, but the M4 is rated at under 3306lbs and the RC-F will undoubtedly be over 3600lbs
yup that's what i wanted to get at. seems like the rcf will be quite a bit heavier, probably the extra hp will help compensate that. you sure rcf will be at least 3600lb? i thought lexus said their f cars will shed even more weight. if rcf is 3600lb, gsf would weigh more? let's face it, 3300lb is pretty darn light (and if you look at history of the m3). heck even the lfa is 3200lb right?

Last edited by rominl; 09-25-13 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-25-13, 10:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
yes i noticed that too, seems like going with high rpm and the tq drops off. i guess they are just going for the hp at that point?

the e9x m3, i forgot but redline around 8200rpm?

yup that's what i wanted to get at. seems like the rcf will be quite a bit heavier, probably the extra hp will help compensate that. you sure rcf will be at least 3600lb? i thought lexus said their f cars will shed even more weight. if rcf is 3600lb, gsf would weigh more? let's face it, 3300lb is pretty darn light (and if you look at history of the m3). heck even the lfa is 3200lb right?
it turns out 3300lbs is european dry weight...
Old 09-25-13, 10:56 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Some sources say European Unladen weight means 90% full tank of gas. Very interested to see which one is the truth.
Old 09-25-13, 11:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yup i have read mixed information, so definitely waiting for confirmation

only makes sense when apple to apple
Old 09-25-13, 12:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Well I don't know for sure, but the 3IS IS350 gained 66lbs over the 2IS and now weighs in slightly over 3700lbs which is what the GS weighs in base form. Now add a V8 and that's why I don't see them shedding much weight without a major price hike for far lighter materials ala LFA. 3-Series, ATS, GS and new CTS are all near lighest in class for what it's worth. But to circle back, it's a tall order for the RC-F to be near the M4 in weight. Color me impressed if they can make it 3500-3600lbs
Old 09-25-13, 01:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

there is still the talk about the weight of the m3/4. i wonder what's the dry weight of the 3is, maybe that can give us a bottomline comparison

here's a thought. m3/4 is going to have more cf, and i think they source that somewhere else. lexus / toyota has their own cf technology and even their own looming machine. maybe it's hopeful that the rcf will get even more cf treatment without as much cost pressure? i think that would be awesome

more power is always better, it's silly if anyone denies that. it's all about how someone can do it in a balanced way meaning a better chassis, better suspension, better technology. to be honest, part of me wonder if bmw can't pack more hp in this car coz' they couldn't improve the chassis overall to balance it out
Old 09-25-13, 01:43 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

"BMW clarifies that "the new model is now around 80 kilograms [176 lbs] lighter than a comparably equipped predecessor model"

The weight lost is a lot less then we thought.

Generally the curb weight of the E92 M3 is roughly 3600 lbs, which means the M4 is roughly 3424 lbs. Still very nice, just the fact that it didn't gain any weight is impressive. But not 3300 lbs impressive. The M4 is back to the same weight as the E46 M3.
Old 09-25-13, 01:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

good info, so i guess it's dry weight

go rcf!!!!
Old 09-25-13, 01:54 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

there is still the talk about the weight of the m3/4. i wonder what's the dry weight of the 3is, maybe that can give us a bottomline comparison

here's a thought. m3/4 is going to have more cf, and i think they source that somewhere else. lexus / toyota has their own cf technology and even their own looming machine. maybe it's hopeful that the rcf will get even more cf treatment without as much cost pressure? i think that would be awesome

more power is always better, it's silly if anyone denies that. it's all about how someone can do it in a balanced way meaning a better chassis, better suspension, better technology. to be honest, part of me wonder if bmw can't pack more hp in this car coz' they couldn't improve the chassis overall to balance it out
I am guessing there will be a M Performance power kit shortly that will add 20 hp/20 lb-ft. That's where the rumor 450 hp figure came from AKA 335i.
Old 09-25-13, 02:01 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Now I thought about it, duh.............a year after the M4 come out, they will add an optional performance/competition package that will add 20 hp/20 lb-ft, just like what they did to the M5/M6 that added 15 hp.

Before when the M3 was NA, the performance package adds bigger BBS wheels, stiffer suspension........etc. This time with boost it will add power with a different map.

There you go, 450 hp stock next year to match the 460 hp heavier RC-F

This 430 hp is just for the early base version.
Old 09-25-13, 03:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven

Yeah, like it or not, a lot of people in Europe (especially Southern Europe territories such as Greece) are either downsizing their vehicles.........or are resorting to using public transportation or walking.

P.S.
Btw, in Zagreb, are most people starting to ditch their cars and use the tram network even more?
a lot of people in Germany, as thats from where most of our used cars come.

As to Zagreb, same as always... trams are used by students and those who have no other means of transportation or maybe travel from the outside to the city center every day... Together with busses and inner city rail.

Generally we dont have a culture of public transportation like Netherlands or Denmark, we prefer to take our car or these days taxi's are cheap too. Trams stop a lot so it takes a while to get anywhere.

Up to 3-4 years ago, you could see quite few AMG's and M's everywhere... now it is styling pack on 2.0l diesel engine... even 530xd is not popular anymore, now it is 520d. It is not just spending fuel, resale is horrible.
Old 09-25-13, 04:22 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

a lot of people in Germany, as thats from where most of our used cars come.

As to Zagreb, same as always... trams are used by students and those who have no other means of transportation or maybe travel from the outside to the city center every day... Together with busses and inner city rail.

Generally we dont have a culture of public transportation like Netherlands or Denmark, we prefer to take our car or these days taxi's are cheap too. Trams stop a lot so it takes a while to get anywhere.

Up to 3-4 years ago, you could see quite few AMG's and M's everywhere... now it is styling pack on 2.0l diesel engine... even 530xd is not popular anymore, now it is 520d. It is not just spending fuel, resale is horrible.
That is depressing.

I am lucky to live where I am, the latest and greatest performance cars are at every street corner street racing each other at every opportunity. The only cars you can't find in daily traffic are million dollars cars.

Quick Reply: Official BMW M3 M4 Specs: 430HP, 369LB-FT, Under 3306 Pounds, Bi-Turbo Inline 6 Cyl