Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

14 yr old girl dies locked in BMW

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-13, 06:33 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4
Not sure if BMW's have these kind of headrests or not but this would be good for everyone to know just in case.

http://youtu.be/tZTa8Nh0VlE
Carry a piece of porcelain in the car, like from a spark plug. All you have to do is flick it at glass and it shatters.
Old 09-18-13, 07:14 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 574 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by vbx
Maybe she just fell asleep while waiting for her class to start.
I was thinking the same thing
Old 09-18-13, 07:23 AM
praetor
Racer

Fell asleep or pass out doesn't matter. Why would anyone want to wait in a car with the windows rolled up on a hot day?
Old 09-18-13, 07:29 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Because it happened in the morning when it was colder and the car is more comfortable than the benches at school. The low for the day in Madera was 57 and the high was 87.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...,3316648.story

The siblings arrived at Madera South High School about 6:30 a.m., but the girl stayed in the car because her class didn’t start until later in the morning, ABC affiliate KFSN-TV reported. It wasn’t until her brother, a senior at the school, got out of class about 3 p.m. that he discovered her body.

Last edited by Allen K; 09-18-13 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-18-13, 07:34 AM
praetor
Racer

OK, that makes sense. Still sad however you look at it.
Old 09-18-13, 07:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by vbx

Maybe she just fell asleep while waiting for her class to start.
There are some proposals here in the NoVA area (D.C. suburbs), for local school boards to start high school classes an hour later in the morning. Many teens just aren't getting enough sleep at night.
Old 09-18-13, 10:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

so about this big lawsuit that some are saying should be brought against bmw... maybe she never even tried to get out?
Old 09-18-13, 10:35 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thursday morning, investigators re-inspected the 1997 BMW Martinez was in the back seat of, when he found her drenched in sweat and unresponsive- at the end of the school day Wednesday.

Police say a preliminary investigation has revealed there may be a problem with the door locks. When the door is locked with the key from the outside, people inside may not be able to get out.

"It appears there may be a defective locking system on the car but we are still need to do further tests to determine if that's true and correct," Salas said.

At Madera South High School, counselors were on campus to talk with grieving students. The superintendent said his heart goes out to the freshman's loved ones.

"I would ask the community to put their collective arms around this family as they go through a very dark time," Edward Gonzalez Madera Unified Superintendent said.

As police look for clues and evidence, they are finding the case is becoming even more tragic. Detectives have found, unless the key is in the ignition, the horn doesn't work either. Not only that, Graciela had no food, or water in the car with her. She also didn't have a cellphone.
http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?se...cal&id=9245539
Old 09-18-13, 12:58 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I can't say that I like them using the phrase "a problem with the door locks". That, to me, makes it sound like something was broken.

I don't own a BMW (never have), so I don't know for sure but, from what we're hearing from others about this, this is how the car functions.

That's not a "problem with the door locks" that's a "fatal design flaw in the BMW door locking system".

I don't mind electronic gizmos in cars (lord knows my car has enough of them), but this is some pretty fundamental stuff.

To open door...pull on door handle. Period.

Even if the system has some kind of a manual override (and I don't even know if it does), you shouldn't be required to read the owner's manual to LEARN how to open the friggin' doors in an emergency!!!
Old 09-18-13, 01:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Allen K
Because it happened in the morning when it was colder and the car is more comfortable than the benches at school. The low for the day in Madera was 57 and the high was 87.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...,3316648.story
I am pretty sure her body would have woke her up with a 30 degree rise in temperature. When I've napped in a car I know I've awoken sweating as the temperature got hot.

Really sad and odd case.

Old 09-18-13, 01:44 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I am pretty sure her body would have woke her up with a 30 degree rise in temperature. When I've napped in a car I know I've awoken sweating as the temperature got hot.

Really sad and odd case.
Yeah, then it's all just guesses on our part. Maybe she woke up and was so disoriented she couldn't find a way out of the car before passing out again . Either way, my heart goes out to the family
Old 09-18-13, 01:55 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im sorry but she could have folded the rear seats down. BMW's have a double locking feature, you press the lock button twice and you cant open the doors from the inside. There was a story on BimmerForums where someone broke into this guys E36 and he double locked it and it trapped the thief in the car. Nevertheless, if she would have been more informed she would have gotten out of the car.
Old 09-18-13, 02:16 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin2JZ
Im sorry but she could have folded the rear seats down. BMW's have a double locking feature, you press the lock button twice and you cant open the doors from the inside. There was a story on BimmerForums where someone broke into this guys E36 and he double locked it and it trapped the thief in the car. Nevertheless, if she would have been more informed she would have gotten out of the car.
Not all E36s come with a central door lock button and the rear seats do not fold down. There isn't even an emergency latch in the trunk anyways. I can show you pics if you don't believe it but the car can easily be a death trap!
Old 09-18-13, 06:03 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin2JZ
Im sorry but she could have folded the rear seats down.
Please explain how she could have crawled into the trunk while the seats were up to pull the release latches for said rear seats, which are located INSIDE THE TRUNK.

They're the handles underneath the rear shelf with the white icons on them. Note that while this picture is of an F30 (2012+), the handles are in the same location (and possibly even the same part) in the E90 (2006-2011) and E46 (1999-2005). And even that is only IF the particular car has the folding rear seat option or the cold weather package. If neither of those were ordered, the rear seat is fixed.

Last edited by geko29; 09-18-13 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-18-13, 06:50 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Please explain how she could have crawled into the trunk while the seats were up to pull the release latches for said rear seats, which are located INSIDE THE TRUNK.

They're the handles underneath the rear shelf with the white icons on them. Note that while this picture is of an F30 (2012+), the handles are in the same location (and possibly even the same part) in the E90 (2006-2011) and E46 (1999-2005). And even that is only IF the particular car has the folding rear seat option or the cold weather package. If neither of those were ordered, the rear seat is fixed.
I've never heard of the fold down seat release latches being in the trunk. On normal cars they are located at the top of the seats.

Quick Reply: 14 yr old girl dies locked in BMW