Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

14 yr old girl dies locked in BMW

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-13, 06:50 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Okay I just tried, on my '11 E93.

If you're sitting in the car and the person you're riding with leaves you in it, takes the keys, and locks it with the fob from the outside, no you cannot open the car doors by pulling the handle, and as the locks are recessed you can't pull them up either. What you have to do is hit the central door lock/unlock button, which is right in the middle of the center console near the emergency flasher button. Once you open the door the alarm goes off, but whatever. At least on my E93, it's a small button, one that would unfortunately be easy to miss. There's definitely a proper way out of the car though, without doing anything elaborate.

Tragic either way.
thanks for this ---

IMO, this should be illegal....if someone locks you in a car you should easily be able EASILY get out by pulling the door handle (unless it child-locked).

Originally Posted by Overdose
I'm not sure about the older generations but the horn doesn't work in the e92 that I'm currently in unless the car is turned on - I still don't get it.
Originally Posted by yardie876
Same with the e36. Makes no sense at all.
WTF?!?!?!?!?! UN-Freaking believable.

Last edited by bagwell; 09-16-13 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-16-13, 01:08 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
This is just so sad.

I have a coworker who had the same problem with her BMW 3 series. She said she couldn't unlock the doors while inside because of some malfunction and she quickly traded it in at the dealer for a Mini Cooper.
Interesting. I have a colleague who had the opposite problem. Came one day and found his 335i had opened all the windows and sunroof by itself. Leather was hosed from rain damage.
Old 09-16-13, 01:37 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 580 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
Interesting. I have a colleague who had the opposite problem. Came one day and found his 335i had opened all the windows and sunroof by itself. Leather was hosed from rain damage.
Something probably hit and held the door unlock button on her key fob to open up the windows.
Old 09-16-13, 03:37 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bruce van
I have a coworker who had the same problem with her BMW 3 series. She said she couldn't unlock the doors while inside because of some malfunction and she quickly traded it in at the dealer for a Mini Cooper.
A Mini Cooper? As in owned by BMW Mini Cooper?
Old 09-16-13, 04:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
A Mini Cooper? As in owned by BMW Mini Cooper?
Hah
Old 09-17-13, 12:42 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Allen K
Something probably hit and held the door unlock button on her key fob to open up the windows.
Considering he was out of town, unlikely.
Old 09-17-13, 12:53 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Very sad, and very strange. Though the buttons themselves are recessed when locked, BMWs have a mechanical unlocking mechanism that works even when there's no battery in the car. You pull the handle once, and the door unlocks, pull it again, and it opens. I can't comprehend how this simple mechanism, even if it failed on one door, would fail on all 4 of them simultaneously, because it's not a central system and no electronics are involved. I wonder if there's a chance that she never tried to get out? Like perhaps she passed out for some other reason, and died before coming out of it.
I possibly might know the reason because it happened to my next door neighbor, she got trapped inside her late model E90 328i on her driveway and couldn't get out, I had to go help her open her door, she aren't a stupid person either, she has her main car key with her inside the car, she just got home driving that car.

I was on my driveway working on my car and heard my next door neighbor yelling at me to go help her, she was standing up inside her BMW with her body sticking out of the open sunroof.

Long story short, after I got her door open and did some investigation, turns out one of the power door lock system's fuse was blown, after she got home and turn off the engine, she can't unlock the door from all available handle or button. Because of the blown fuse, the central power door lock button on the center console is not functioning, the key fob button doesn't work, the most interesting thing is the inside door handle is actually an electronic switch, is not a manual handle at all, so that is not responsive also. I would imagine there is a manual door lock latch handle hidden somewhere for situation like this, but it is something you won't know where it is unless you have looked into it or have the owner's manual with you.

At that time, she can still start the car, she could open the sunroof, I forgot why, but somehow she can't open the side windows either, I am sure she would have if she could. She was going to either climb out the open sunroof or drive the car to the dealer to tell them to fix their stupid car. But she saw me and got my attention. She handed me the key she has, I unlock the door by sticking the manual key into the key hole on the outside of the door.

After I got her out, I checked all her fuses so she can continue to use the car, there are like 8 fuses relating to the power door locks (I forgot the exact #, but is many, more then 5, less then 10 I think) I found one that was blown, replaced it and everything works again.........central power lock button, door handle, key fob......etc.)

Sorry I am not bashing BMW, I love them, they drive fabulous when they are working properly. In fact I am lusting on a E93 M3 right now.

But damn if as simple as a blown fuse and you can't unlock the door from the inside if you have the key with you, I call that a pretty damn stupid design

As fabulous as the E9X M3 drive, I think stuff like this would drive me crazy if I own the car and it happens to me.

Last edited by BNR34; 09-17-13 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-17-13, 01:02 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 580 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
Considering he was out of town, unlikely.
So it's more likely that the car came to life and decided to lower its windows Your friend probably put the key in his pocket and someone depressed the unlock button while he was walking away from the car.
Old 09-17-13, 01:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

anyone ask why they just didnt lay on the horn until someone came to the rescue. SAD
Old 09-17-13, 01:10 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
anyone ask why they just didnt lay on the horn until someone came to the rescue. SAD
Well the horn don't work if the car is off, for a panicking 14 year old person that is suffering and can't think straight, won't be able to realize to turn on the car to make the horn work.

Just realized the victim is 14, so she don't know how to drive and really don't know how a car works. My neighbor is 50+ years old, owns many BMWs for a few decades, still can't figure out how to get out.

Last edited by BNR34; 09-17-13 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-17-13, 01:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

my horn works with my car off. It should be the same for BMW I would assume.
Old 09-17-13, 01:20 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
my horn works with my car off. It should be the same for BMW I would assume.
No, we actually checked it that time, I was like why don't you horn the horn? We checked it, it doesn't work when the ignition is off.
Old 09-17-13, 01:32 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
No, we actually checked it that time, I was like why don't you horn the horn? We checked it, it doesn't work when the ignition is off.
Yup. Crazy huh? Even worse, I've had the electronic lock system malfunction on me numerous times and lock me in the car as soon as I take the key out if the ignition. To get out I had to put the key back in, wind down the window, and then use the key to unlock the driver door. I was shocked for a good 2 mins sitting in my school parking lot trying to process the fact that my car tried to kill me. The E36 is definitely one of the best drivers car made, when it is up and running. I made the decision to switch from BMW after having to fix something every 6 months.
Old 09-17-13, 02:13 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yardie876
Yup. Crazy huh? Even worse, I've had the electronic lock system malfunction on me numerous times and lock me in the car as soon as I take the key out if the ignition. To get out I had to put the key back in, wind down the window, and then use the key to unlock the driver door. I was shocked for a good 2 mins sitting in my school parking lot trying to process the fact that my car tried to kill me. The E36 is definitely one of the best drivers car made, when it is up and running. I made the decision to switch from BMW after having to fix something every 6 months.
This make this tragic death totally make sense.

BMW totally nailed the driving dynamic, but stuff like this are totally not acceptable.
Old 09-17-13, 02:17 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

She couldn't break the window to get out? And what 14 year old would sit in a hot car with the windows rolled up? Sad none the less.

Last edited by praetor; 09-17-13 at 02:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 14 yr old girl dies locked in BMW