Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

14 yr old girl dies locked in BMW

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-13, 02:01 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Okay I just tried, on my '11 E93.

If you're sitting in the car and the person you're riding with leaves you in it, takes the keys, and locks it with the fob from the outside, no you cannot open the car doors by pulling the handle, and as the locks are recessed you can't pull them up either. What you have to do is hit the central door lock/unlock button, which is right in the middle of the center console near the emergency flasher button. Once you open the door the alarm goes off, but whatever. At least on my E93, it's a small button, one that would unfortunately be easy to miss. There's definitely a proper way out of the car though, without doing anything elaborate.

Tragic either way.
Excellent theft deterrent that unfortunately backfired in this sad situation.
Old 09-14-13, 04:57 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought all kids had cell phones these days. Only $10 extra to add to family plan
Old 09-14-13, 05:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
Unfotunate, if I remeber correctly in my old RX, if you were sitting inside after the vehicle had been locked with the fob from the outside, it wouldnt let you out. Hitting the door unlock just set off the alarm.
all Toyota's have manual **** next to the interior door handle.... germans car have these recessed door locks that you cant pry out manually.

Last edited by spwolf; 09-14-13 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-14-13, 05:43 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Most newer vehicles have a manual emergency release-lever inside the truck or cargo-area if a person is locked inside the trunk. If this particular BMW had one (and if the rear seats could fold) she could have simply dropped the rear seats, crawled into the cargo area if there was enough room under the shelf, grabbed the emergency-lever, and let herself out. Of course, that's several different IFs, each of which may or may not have been possible. Either way, it's a shame she passed away. RIP...and condolences to her family.
No 14 year old would have any clue about this.
Old 09-14-13, 05:45 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Sad story. I'd guess its a late model E36. I have one and if I lock the doors from the outside there is NO WAY to open the car from the inside. I've always thought about how strange and potentially dangerous it was. Someone actually broke into my car two years ago but ran before they could get anything since they couldn't get the door open and didn't want to reach through the glass.
Old 09-15-13, 02:29 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Most newer vehicles have a manual emergency release-lever inside the truck or cargo-area if a person is locked inside the trunk. If this particular BMW had one (and if the rear seats could fold) she could have simply dropped the rear seats, crawled into the cargo area if there was enough room under the shelf, grabbed the emergency-lever, and let herself out. Of course, that's several different IFs, each of which may or may not have been possible. Either way, it's a shame she passed away. RIP...and condolences to her family.
It's actually the first one that's not possible. BMWs equipped with folding rear seats (and not all of them are) have the release levers in the trunk, under the rear shelf. There's a TINY (maybe 6x10") passthrough that can be opened from the inside, but it's too small to crawl through, and too far away from the seat release levers to reach through.
Old 09-15-13, 03:15 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

too bad she didnt honk the car horn to try to find rescue

so sad
Old 09-15-13, 03:52 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I can't think of any benefit from this system. This is so stupid.
Old 09-15-13, 04:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
too bad she didnt honk the car horn to try to find rescue
Good point.........unless the horn simply didn't work from some of those unreliable BMW electronics. (I've seen that happen before).
Old 09-15-13, 09:06 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

That's very sad. I've never seen that happen before.
Old 09-15-13, 09:40 PM
Overdose
Driver School Candidate

Good point.........unless the horn simply didn't work from some of those unreliable BMW electronics. (I've seen that happen before).
I'm not sure about the older generations but the horn doesn't work in the e92 that I'm currently in unless the car is turned on - I still don't get it.
Old 09-15-13, 09:51 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdose
I'm not sure about the older generations but the horn doesn't work in the e92 that I'm currently in unless the car is turned on - I still don't get it.
Same with the e36. Makes no sense at all.
Old 09-15-13, 11:23 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

So sad, yet such a weird and suspicious way to die IMO . . . .

Kids going into school in the morning, if she was locked in I think she could've made a scene and caught somebody walking by the car who just parked and was going into class. Also WTF is a 14 year old girl doing without a cell phone in this day and age? Also odd that the brother would lock the car with her in it, he had to have known that it would set off the alarm if she opened the door, provided the locks/security system was working right.

And BMW, surely they wouldn't deliberately design a car to where you cannot unlock the doors from the inside if somebody pushes the remote button to lock it. I think those glow in the dark interior trunk release handles are required by federal law, so I'd imagine there is a similar regulation that would include inside the car. You wouldn't want a bunch of 4 or 5 year old kids playing around and locking their brother in the car on a hot day.

Anyways, it all sounds fishy without a medical autospy. I'm thinking she might have died from some other medical ailment, or a combination of this ailment along with the heat. Really suprising is she didn't find some sort of way to bust the window out on that car, but then again I'm not some 80 pound girl, and maybe there was nothing good and heavy to hit against the window.
Old 09-15-13, 11:36 PM
danspeeple
Driver School Candidate

Default Rip

Originally Posted by geko29
Very sad, and very strange. Though the buttons themselves are recessed when locked, BMWs have a mechanical unlocking mechanism that works even when there's no battery in the car. You pull the handle once, and the door unlocks, pull it again, and it opens. I can't comprehend how this simple mechanism, even if it failed on one door, would fail on all 4 of them simultaneously, because it's not a central system and no electronics are involved. I wonder if there's a chance that she never tried to get out? Like perhaps she passed out for some other reason, and died before coming out of it.
This is true and I am very surprised about this I have owned a similar BMW for 15 years and never heard anything like door malfunction. I think there should be a thorough investigation into this - VERY SAD and may her soul rest in peace -
Old 09-16-13, 05:57 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my opinion but I realized something here:

I think this is one of the downsides of "anti-idling laws".

Quick Reply: 14 yr old girl dies locked in BMW