Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Gen Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban, Cadillac Escalade Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-14, 12:22 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I just don't think any Suburban will ever have the style of the 80's suburbans. Now THOSE beasts made a statement.
Yes they did . . . .

I've driven a couple of these new Tahoes and a Denali spec GMC. I must say I like the previous body style better.

The new trucks are way too slab sided, with much smaller/narrower windows. The windshield has more of a rake, so you look at half a mile of dashboard. Then the windshield at the top stops a few inches short and the roof curves down over where the top the windshield was in the old trucks.

Ride in one, it feels claustrophobic because of the smaller windows. Not that it is smaller inside, there is a ton of space, its just that was always the strong selling point of these things, that high driving position and superior visibility.
Old 07-26-14, 07:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
test cars catch fire... no big deal.
That used to happen once in a while with VWs. You probably remember the picture posted here in Car Chat, showing the R32 that caught fire just sitting on the dealer lot, when the panel-wiring under the left side of the dash shorted out.

Old 07-26-14, 09:21 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice Yukon. I may be one of the few but I think the latest sheetmetal is handsome.
Old 07-26-14, 10:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
My dirty 2006 Land Cruiser next to a brand new 2015 Yukon.
They only just started selling them in the GCC.

Sorry for the very poor camera phone pics.

That Yukon looks pretty damn good next to the Land Cruiser that is quite dated in appearance.
Old 07-26-14, 10:46 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would really like to test drive the new Yukon Denali/Escalade with the 6.2. I was very impressed with the Sierra.
They do look modern on the roads especially compared to the older models. At first i did not like the boxy rear, but i am getting used to it. The Sierra
i test drove felt very smooth on the road, impressively refined for a pickup truck.
In the GCC, GM trucks sell much better than Ford trucks, even though i prefer Ford trucks. To be Specific when it comes to trucks from the GM family, the GMC twin is more popular and it definitely has a stronger name in the market than CHEVY/FORD.

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 07-26-14 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-26-14, 12:09 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A fully loaded Yukon SLT with 4wd costs $64k at the local dealer.

The typical buyer in the GCC would be cross shopping two of these vehicles which are priced similarly

Land Cruiser GXR V8 4.6 V8 6 Speed AUTO 304Hp

or the Nissan Patrol SE PLATINUM 5.6 5 Speed auto 317hp

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 07-26-14 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-26-14, 12:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
That Yukon looks pretty damn good next to the Land Cruiser that is quite dated in appearance.
LC's are usually conservative... that model came out in 1998.
Old 07-26-14, 07:08 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

I thought Cadillac was to drop their wreath for 2015 models onwards, i.e. the ATS...

Old 07-26-14, 08:36 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I thought Cadillac was to drop their wreath for 2015 models onwards, i.e. the ATS...

Now that you mention it I just noticed the grill shape itself resembles the Shield
Old 07-26-14, 10:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Hate to say it, the Land Cruiser looks like the worst one out of the three. It kinda looks goofy. The Yukon looks like a space ship. The Patrol looks the best.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-17-14 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-27-14, 05:28 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
It'll get rolled out to Escalade likely in 2016 model year, or maybe a running change. Decision was made too late for start of production for the new Escalade.
Old 07-27-14, 05:36 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
I would really like to test drive the new Yukon Denali/Escalade with the 6.2. I was very impressed with the Sierra.
They do look modern on the roads especially compared to the older models. At first i did not like the boxy rear, but i am getting used to it. The Sierra
i test drove felt very smooth on the road, impressively refined for a pickup truck.
In the GCC, GM trucks sell much better than Ford trucks, even though i prefer Ford trucks. To be Specific when it comes to trucks from the GM family, the GMC twin is more popular and it definitely has a stronger name in the market than CHEVY/FORD.
While I did not care about it when I brought the truck, I did get the 6.2 in my sierra denali, which now i could not live without. the speed, torque, sound, i often forget i am driving a 5000lb truck
Old 07-27-14, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P
i often forget i am driving a 5000lb truck
You wouldn't forget in one of the older Denalis.....or in any of the older full-size GM trucks/SUVs, with their unreliable, Mush-O-Matic, Push-and-Pray brakes. On those old brake pedals, even with so-called power assist, you could feel EVERY one of those 5000 pounds EVERY time you pushed it....especially in persons weak leg muscles. Fortunately, they are now a thing of the past....those brake problems were corrected several years ago.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-27-14 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-27-14, 09:12 PM
LexFather

From what I've been hearing, there is quite a bit of sticker shock with consumers..even with the improvements....

Old 08-11-14, 05:30 PM
Hoovey689

Default 2015 Cadillac Escalade gets 8-speed auto, range-topping Platinum Collection trim

New Platinum Collection, Added Features Elevate Escalade Craftsmanship and Technology

Entire SUV line gets 8-Speed transmission, Surround View camera and 4G LTE connectivity

2014-08-11
DETROIT – Cadillac today announced numerous enhancements to the just-launched 2015 Escalade, including the new range-topping Platinum Collection model launching in the fourth quarter this year.

Escalade Platinum features elegant, hand-crafted luxury additions to both the exterior and interior while the entire Escalade range gets new technical features, highlighted by the addition of 4G LTE connectivity, a new 8-speed automatic transmission and a Surround View camera system to help increase visibility.

"Since the launch just a few months ago, the next-generation Escalade has proved exceptionally desirable among luxury SUV buyers," said Uwe Ellinghaus, chief marketing officer, Cadillac. "Now, within the same year we are able to elevate the Escalade line with the Platinum Collection, as well as deliver enhancements through the entire Escalade range."

The 2015 Escalade Platinum extends and upgrades the use of premium materials within the Escalade's cut and sewn interior. First- and second-row seats are wrapped in Nappa semi-aniline leather, while the dashboard, upper door panels and center console are clad in hand-stitched and hand-wrapped leather. Customers can choose between two distinct interior environments, each paired with sueded microfiber headliner trim and unique exotic wood accents.

Escalade Platinum Collection is also designed to provide passengers with unsurpassed comfort and convenience. Heated and cooled 18-way power front seats are standard, and include a massaging function on the driver's seat. A pair of seven-inch LCD screens, embedded in the front head rests, supplement the overhead 9-inch screen, while a cooled center console compartment can keep chilled beverages handy. Platinum models also include premium floor mats and Platinum-branded door sill plates.

Escalade Platinum models ride on 22-inch wheels and the model is distinguished by chrome accents, Platinum exterior badging, and a unique grille mesh design. All Escalade models wear the new, streamlined Cadillac Crest.

In addition, all Escalade models – from the standard Collection through to the Platinum – feature a host of technology upgrades. Vehicle performance is aided by the new eight-speed automatic transmission that is standard on all models, as well as a two-speed transfer case standard on four-wheel drive models. An electronic hands-free liftgate already standard on Escalade will also feature hands-free closing capability.

Like the new ATS sport sedan, Escalade includes OnStar with 4G LTE connectivity with a WiFi hotspot capable of connecting up to seven devices and inductive wireless device charging. Surround View, which provides a bird's eye view of the area immediately surrounding the vehicle.

The enhancements add just $1275 to Escalade's starting price in the U.S., for a total of $73,965, including destination.

The top-of-the-range 2015 Escalade Platinum is priced from $90,270, including $995 in destination.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/11/2...tinum-8-speed/

Quick Reply: Next Gen Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban, Cadillac Escalade Thread