Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official: Third Gen Honda Fit

Old 09-05-13, 05:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Official: Third Gen Honda Fit

Honda launches new Fit in Japan, has big expectations for North America

Gallery: Fit
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-...#photo-975841/

Gallery: Fit Hybrid
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-...#photo-140695/

Honda has officially launched the Fit sub-compact in its home market, ahead of its eventual arrival in North America. The third-generation Fit is wildly important for Honda, with the company's president, Takanobu Ito, saying, "This is the most important model."

The third-generation Fit is a ground-up reworking of the car that we've come to know. It will pioneer Honda's new design language, Exciting H Design (seriously) and will also be the very first Fit to be manufactured in North America. Thanks to a Mexican factory that is scheduled to open in the spring of 2014, Honda will be able to produce 200,000 Fits for the North American market in North America, saving the brand a huge amount of cash.

As for that Exciting H Design, it's meant to be sleeker and more modern, according to Automotive News. It's not bad looking, but the overall design is far less important than what's under that hood. The vehicle you see above is a Fit RS, which has quite a resemblance to the rumored Fit Mugen. There's not a lot of detail on this model, but based on looks alone, we certainly hope it'll be coming to the North American market - it'd make a great Fit Sport. A hybrid variant will also come to the US market, and that car is returning impressive numbers on the Japanese cycle: 86 miles per gallon so far, thanks to the combination of an 1.5-liter, Atkinson-cycle, four-cylinder engine and a seven-speed, dual-clutch transmission. That's a 35-percent improvement over the current, JDM Fit Hybrid.

Indeed, if the Fit Hybrid can return anything near those numbers on the US EPA cycle, it should do well. Ito's demands for improved economy are part of what has him believing that Honda will eventually move 1.5 million Fits by 2016. The Honda boss is also expecting the B-segment car to become the brand's best seller, overall, surpassing the Civic, CR-V and Accord. Those are some big expectations.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/05/h...north-america/
Old 09-05-13, 05:46 PM
Hoovey689

A hybrid variant will also come to the US market, and that car is returning impressive numbers on the Japanese cycle: 86 miles per gallon so far, thanks to the combination of an 1.5-liter, Atkinson-cycle, four-cylinder engine and a seven-speed, dual-clutch transmission
unbelievable, Honda has been holding out on us with that ancient 5-Speed Auto..
Old 09-05-13, 05:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Finally......a Fit that doesn't look like an oversized insect staring at you. In fact, it looks like Honda took the new front end more or less from the Insight.
Old 09-05-13, 06:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Finally......a Fit that doesn't look like an oversized insect staring at you. In fact, it looks like Honda took the new front end more or less from the Insight.
Are we looking at the same thing?

Read here for more details on styling
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...-important-car

Old 09-05-13, 08:29 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint

I feel like I'm about to watch a Toho monster mash. Gojira!!!
Old 09-05-13, 08:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Are we looking at the same thing?

Read here for more details on styling
I don't disagree with anything you sent, Mike, but, to me, the front end of the old Fit DID look like a cross between an insect and an alien. (IS-SV also agreed, if you remember him....and he and I didn't agree on much in the auto world). The new front end, regardless of its source, does look like that on some other smaller Honda products.
Old 09-05-13, 08:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

bizarre interior

Old 09-05-13, 09:14 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Whats wrong with it? It doesnt look that much different from any other current Honda interior. Solid wing face??! Exciting H design?!! Who comes up with this?!
Old 09-05-13, 11:12 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I care about in any of this is the 7-spd DCT. When will this proliferate to other (higher performance) models (besides the new NSX), and when will Toyota finally incorporate something similar? Slushbox autos with lockup TCs really ain't cutting it for the enthusiast market and sports cars...

I can't believe Honda is putting a DCT in a FIT before Toyota offers one in anything. It's sad.

With a new batch of performance cars coming from Toyota & Lexus in the next few years, I can't help but wonder if they'll step up their game or keep force-feeding us lousy steering wheel-mounted 'gear limiter' paddles. They were an utter joke in my IS350, and one of the main reasons I got rid of that car.
Old 09-05-13, 11:58 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

At first blush, it still has the toyish-Disney car look. But a bit more modern and stylish. Wide headlights, narrow grille, and sagging shoulderline accentuate the compact car look. Backend lighting is strange, and so is the shelving and cubby hole dashboard.
Finally Honda is stepping into modern times with the tranny.
Old 09-06-13, 12:16 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Whats wrong with it? It doesnt look that much different from any other current Honda interior. Solid wing face??! Exciting H design?!! Who comes up with this?!

lost in translation.
Old 09-06-13, 03:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

It is very nice... interior is more plasticy than current Fit though. Hybrid is interesting, still mild hybrid but with supposedly good numbers.

Exterior looks tops.
Old 09-06-13, 11:50 AM
Hoovey689

It does have a clean look too it with less buttons. The HVAC screen is a nice touch and the speedo/tach cluster is nice
Old 09-06-13, 11:53 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I actually really like the fit. Its a great little car for commuters and younger drivers. Its reliable, cheap, and it seats a man my size. I am happy to see it chugging along. I like the looks of the new one. I have seen them at track days. and they dont do half bad when worked
Old 09-06-13, 12:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Whats wrong with it? It doesnt look that much different from any other current Honda interior.
two vents and cupholder on the DOOR side of the steering wheel, wtf?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official: Third Gen Honda Fit