Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend on the '14 Corolla S-not a good review

Old 09-05-13, 03:18 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Corolla is a winner in my book. That interior picture that was posted looks so much better then the interior in my camry.
Old 09-05-13, 03:57 PM
jli
Driver School Candidate

Corolla is a good car for what it is, but come on, if there is room for improvement improve it.

Yes, they might have added a few new things like LED headlights and better interior materials etc, but the corolla deserve more than that (such as better body styling and driving dynamics).

Like others have mentioned in the previous posts, there are many other competitors that offer a lot more for the same money or less. I don't see why people would stick with the corolla over cars like Focus and Mazda3.

it's like deciding which girl to marry over the two; one is plain jane looking but can cook and do chores, two is good looking with nice body but can also do chores just as good as the plain jane with the same amount of maintenance cost(maybe gets *****y sometimes). Sadly to say, majority of people still prefer plain Jane over a hottie.
Old 09-05-13, 04:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jli
Corolla is a good car for what it is, but come on, if there is room for improvement improve it.

Yes, they might have added a few new things like LED headlights and better interior materials etc, but the corolla deserve more than that (such as better body styling and driving dynamics).

Like others have mentioned in the previous posts, there are many other competitors that offer a lot more for the same money or less. I don't see why people would stick with the corolla over cars like Focus and Mazda3.

it's like deciding which girl to marry over the two; one is plain jane looking but can cook and do chores, two is good looking with nice body but can also do chores just as good as the plain jane with the same amount of maintenance cost(maybe gets *****y sometimes). Sadly to say, majority of people still prefer plain Jane over a hottie.
i think it looks great, drives ok... what exactly are others doing better? Have you been in new Corolla?
Old 09-05-13, 04:13 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Bunch of shameless Toyota apologists in this thread. Why settle for mediocrity? You guys seriously want Toyota to end up like Honda has for a decade now? And the difference in 0-60 times between the Corolla and the other cars they mentioned isn't a mere "0.3 seconds". It's as much as a FULL 2 SECOND DIFFERENCE to 60 mph, which is huge. People need to merge you know, and parents might have their kids driving these cars. I wouldn't want my kids trying to merge in an underpowered car. Traffic and drivers are crazy these days.

Stop apologizing for Toyota. It's pathetic. Demand better.
Old 09-05-13, 04:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Bunch of shameless Toyota apologists in this thread. Why settle for mediocrity? You guys seriously want Toyota to end up like Honda has for a decade now? And the difference in 0-60 times between the Corolla and the other cars they mentioned isn't a mere "0.3 seconds". It's as much as a FULL 2 SECOND DIFFERENCE to 60 mph, which is huge. People need to merge you know, and parents might have their kids driving these cars. I wouldn't want my kids trying to merge in an underpowered car. Traffic and drivers are crazy these days.

Lol, it is probably the best car in the class for what it needs to be - which is smaller family car.

Why would anyone need to apologize for the biggest car manufacturer in the world?

2014 Corolla is the biggest improvement of any vehicle Toyota has probably ever made. So there is no need to apologize to anyone about anything.
Old 09-05-13, 05:06 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
2014 Corolla is the biggest improvement of any vehicle Toyota has probably ever made. So there is no need to apologize to anyone about anything.

Wait...#notsureifserious

Old 09-05-13, 05:13 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
Exhibit A...
Old 09-05-13, 05:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

There's no need to apologize for what is arguably the best-selling car in history.

I wouldn't want my kids trying to merge in an underpowered car.
Sure. Give them a Dodge Viper and let them kill themselves.

Traffic and drivers are crazy these days
Traffic in our DC/VA/MD region (as you know) spends as much or more time sitting still as it actually does moving. What difference does 0-60 times make?

And the difference in 0-60 times between the Corolla and the other cars they mentioned isn't a mere "0.3 seconds". It's as much as a FULL 2 SECOND DIFFERENCE to 60 mph, which is huge.

People need to merge you know

In general, if two drivers are fighting for the same spot (or lane) trying to merge, the faster each one of of them is going, the more dangerous the situation potentially becomes.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-05-13 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-05-13, 05:29 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^lol. This whole thread:
Old 09-05-13, 05:29 PM
LexFather

Going to sit this one out and just text some of you

Old 09-05-13, 06:05 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
^lol. This whole thread:
Pretty much. I'm out. Mind officially blown. I just expect these kinds of comments from spwolf, but mmarshall???? Wow.
Old 09-05-13, 06:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Wait...#notsureifserious
sure... look at the instrument cluster in your $30k Rav4. Then look at instrument cluster of $18k Corolla S. Then look at all the features in Corolla like standard LED headlights & DRL, best in class mpg, standard Entune, Automatic climate, CVT from LE, etc.

Comparing 2009 and 2014, this is the most progress than any Toyota vehicle has made to date.

I like Rav4, I think it is a good buy but Corolla is better buy for the price and in its class. I wish same people who developed Corolla (and Auris), also developed Rav4... because Rav4 IMHO could have used few things that Corolla has, and Corolla is a lot less expensive vehicle.
Old 09-05-13, 06:18 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Underpowered car? It doesn't do 0-60 in 7 seconds, oh lord we are going to die!

Get real. Nobody is going to get run over in a Corolla by a semi. The car is faster than many cars were 10 or 20 years ago that were considered fast. It's faster than my '94 Pickup with a 22R-E and I manage just fine merging on the highway, just as I've done in Corollas that accelerate better than that old pickup.

And the last thing I'd ever do is put my kids in a "fast" car for them to wrap it around a tree. And if I were a kid and got a brand new Corolla to drive I'd think it's the coolest thing ever.
Old 09-05-13, 06:50 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

^lol. This whole thread:
So appropriate for this thread.
Old 09-05-13, 08:35 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ExtremeDimensions
I could not have said it better myself.

VS

"The rest of the world isn't like us. They don't have an obsession with cars or driving. If they did, the Mazda3 would be the best selling car in its class by the widest margin possible. Most people just want to get from Point A to Point B, and occasionally on the weekends Point C."

Mazda 3 FTW.

I like the Corolla's new interior but damn are Toyota's interiors getting to be geometrically dizzy these days. Just a lot going on with planes and shapes going every which way. That 3's interior is downright elegant by comparison.

I saw the one of the TV spots for the new Corolla featuring a bright blue model. Looked pretty sharp.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motor Trend on the '14 Corolla S-not a good review