Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend on the '14 Corolla S-not a good review

Old 09-06-13, 02:41 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
not every driver cares about driving dynamics. They want it safe, economical, and very very reliable. A driver like my mom or your mom wants those traits and will not be *****ing about electric steering, lack of feel, or body roll through the corners. There are more of those drivers than there are drivers like us. This is why it sells like hot cakes. Keep talking crap. Toyota is taking the cash to the bank
I'm sorry I'm not one of the masses. Just because the Corolla is a reliable car that sells well does not mean it is the best choice for everybody. So...if I don't like it, then yes, I will talk bad about it.
Old 09-06-13, 06:20 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ExtremeDimensions
about 25% of its sales will be fleet sales...... too busy to find source, will post later in the day.
That's because there isn't one. The current old as dirt Corolla doesn't even have 25% fleet sales. No way they're going to dump their new car in them.
Old 09-06-13, 06:22 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Outrage

I don't see why everyone is so down on the 1996 Ford Taurus. The Taurus has been the best selling vehicle in the United States, and will obviously remain the best selling vehicle no matter what. It uses the proven Vulcan V6 which makes a pretty good 145 horsepower. I mean, let's be honest, no one is drag racing a mid-sized family sedan. I can't imagine ever needing more than 145 horsepower, ever. It's a huge improvement over the 1995 Taurus and that's all it really needed to be.
The problem with this analogy is that the Taurus lost its crown because it was god awful hideous, on top of being unreliable (those Vulcans are turds to nth degree). The Corolla has neither of those problems.
Old 09-06-13, 06:22 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I'm sorry I'm not one of the masses. Just because the Corolla is a reliable car that sells well does not mean it is the best choice for everybody. So...if I don't like it, then yes, I will talk bad about it.
Many would say the same for a Lexus LS400. Not that I agree with them, but would you go ahead and let them trash that car or would you be more defensive over it?
Old 09-06-13, 06:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
That's because there isn't one. The current old as dirt Corolla doesn't even have 25% fleet sales. No way they're going to dump their new car in them.
earlier this year Toyota was fulfilling last year fleet orders so % were high... in August, Toyota had only 2% of fleet orders total.

In any case, Corolla will be top seller not because it is boring, but because it looks good inside out, has nice driving manners, gets up to 42 MPG which is easily best in class for automatics, has huge interior and has loads of equipment. Unfortunately 18k Corolla doesnt have an V8 and it isnt a RWD sports car :-).

I stand by what I said before - Corolla is the biggest improvement in a vehicle for Toyota since Toyoda took charge... far better than Yaris, Camry or Rav4.
Old 09-07-13, 08:55 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

logged in on my day off to say:

"Fleets are estimated to make up 23 percent of the sales mix in 2013, almost twice as much as five years ago. In 2013, the Corolla has a higher concentration of fleet sales than all of its compact competitors with the exception of the Ford Focus, Edmunds says."

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#ixzz2eDqTgtKT
Follow us: @Automotive_News on Twitter | AutoNews on Facebook

"Toyota, based in Toyota City, Japan, also sells 23 percent of Corollas to fleet buyers, such as car-rental companies, who typically pay less than individual consumers, according to Edmunds, which is based in Santa Monica. That is double the fleet sales Corolla did five years ago, Edmunds said."
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...nt-enough.html
Old 09-07-13, 08:58 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

"Fleets are estimated to make up 23 percent of the sales mix in 2013, almost twice as much as five years ago. In 2013, the Corolla has a higher concentration of fleet sales than all of its compact competitors with the exception of the Ford Focus, Edmunds says."

"Toyota, based in Toyota City, Japan, also sells 23 percent of Corollas to fleet buyers, such as car-rental companies, who typically pay less than individual consumers, according to Edmunds, which is based in Santa Monica. That is double the fleet sales Corolla did five years ago, Edmunds said."
Ouch...that's going to leave a mark.
Old 09-07-13, 11:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

uh, Toyota only sold 2% of the fleet cars last month, those old reports were after 2-3 months of heavy fleet sales to fulfill last year's orders. Believe it or not, Toyota has hard time producing enough Corolla's in NA right now (as in this and past few years).
Old 09-07-13, 12:19 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

And yet that's still less than 25% and is for the old Corolla, and is also an estimation and doesn't take into account Toyota selling far fewer to fleets in the 2nd half of this year, which isn't even over yet. You said the new one is going to have 25% fleet which is total hogwash. There's zero chance the new one is going to have fleets be that high.
Old 09-07-13, 02:14 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Many would say the same for a Lexus LS400. Not that I agree with them, but would you go ahead and let them trash that car or would you be more defensive over it?
I'm the wrong person to ask, lol

I'm usually the first to bash my LS in a conversation. Maybe I got a lemon, but at comparable age and fewer miles than my 3rd gen Firebird had when I sold it, it's in worse shape IMO.
Old 09-07-13, 04:36 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
not every driver cares about driving dynamics. They want it safe, economical, and very very reliable. A driver like my mom or your mom wants those traits and will not be *****ing about electric steering, lack of feel, or body roll through the corners. There are more of those drivers than there are drivers like us. This is why it sells like hot cakes. Keep talking crap. Toyota is taking the cash to the bank
Exactly. Gotta love this MT review and its strong focus on 0-60 times. Guess how many people base their purchase decision on 0-60 times in this segment? 0%. Yet, all these know it all auto journalist think they have it figured out. No matter what vehicle these guys test, it always comes down to driving dynamics/performance. Minivans, trucks, hybrids,....99% of these buyers don't buy cars based on what these journalists favor most.

Interestingly enough, the #1 selling point for so many people is quality/reliability. The very reason Toyota is the world's largest automaker despite building "boring" cars. And what do auto journalists not give a crap about? Reliability. Because they're just driving it for a day and not laying their money down for it. Tons of buyers intend on well over 100K. Maybe 200 or 300K like me. And they want to do it as affordable as possible without headaches along the way.

My Toyota has done what I bought it to do and it has far surpassed the expectations that Toyota's bullet proof reliability called for. 147,000 miles with no sign of wear. No repairs. I can barely believe it myself. It feels exactly the same as it did with 1 mile on it.

No Mazda, BMW, or any other "fun" car could ever do that.
Old 09-07-13, 06:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Exactly. Gotta love this MT review and its strong focus on 0-60 times. Guess how many people base . eir purchase decision on 0-60 times in this segment? 0%. Yet, all these know it all auto journalist think they have it figured out. No matter what vehicle these guys test, it always comes down to driving dynamics/performance. Minivans, trucks, hybrids,....99% of these buyers don't buy cars based on what these journalists favor most.

Interestingly enough, the #1 selling point for so many people is quality/reliability. The very reason Toyota is the world's largest automaker despite building "boring" cars. And what do auto journalists not give a crap about? Reliability. Because they're just driving it for a day and not laying their money down for it. Tons of buyers intend on well over 100K. Maybe 200 or 300K like me. And they want to do it as affordable as possible without headaches along the way.

My Toyota has done what I bought it to do and it has far surpassed the expectations that Toyota's bullet proof reliability called for. 147,000 miles with no sign of wear. No repairs. I can barely believe it myself. It feels exactly the same as it did with 1 mile on it.

No Mazda, BMW, or any other "fun" car could ever do that.
I have to just express how much I totally agree with you , you summed it up well with your final sentence in your last post.

Have you yourself tried out or sat it the new Corolla?

I have, it is a total slam dunk home run out of the park for Toyota.

IMO the new Corolla is the best Corolla they have ever made.
Old 09-07-13, 07:01 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have to just express how much I totally agree with you , you summed it up well with your final sentence in your last post.

Have you yourself tried out or sat it the new Corolla?

I have, it is a total slam dunk home run out of the park for Toyota.

IMO the new Corolla is the best Corolla they have ever made.
Thanks. I haven't had the pleasure of driving it. I did, however, do a walk around at the dealer last week and liked what I saw. I know I'd like the drive as I am a fan of Toyota's driving feel, unlike a lot of critics. I even liked the previous Corolla a lot.
Old 09-07-13, 07:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Thanks. I haven't had the pleasure of driving it. I did, however, do a walk around at the dealer last week and liked what I saw. I know I'd like the drive as I am a fan of Toyota's driving feel, unlike a lot of critics. I even liked the previous Corolla a lot.
Well, if you get the chance sit in it. It has a fantastic interior that matches a package that is just simply hard to beat. And then there is the reliability
Old 09-08-13, 01:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Well, if you get the chance sit in it. It has a fantastic interior that matches a package that is just simply hard to beat. And then there is the reliability
exactly, with new Corolla, reliability is just icing on the cake... at least for those who actually sat in one :-).