Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche worries over the new Corvette C7 Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-13, 09:11 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Porsche worries over the new Corvette C7 Stingray

This spy shot from the Porsche R & D center at Weissach Germany confirms Porsche's worry over diminishing sales and the 'value' price of the new Corvette Stingray. Photo interpreters confirm the lack of air bags, electronic steering, and traction control features. This only confirms rumors they are aiming for a younger market that can qualify for cars even if their jobs are only part time.
Attached Thumbnails Porsche worries over the new Corvette C7 Stingray-future-porsche.jpg  
Old 08-19-13, 09:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Porsche needs to consider lowering their prices. Their vehicles (though well-made), IMO, have been overpriced for decades....even with Germany's notoriously high production costs.
Old 08-19-13, 09:53 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They should be worried. That picture is good though, I like that. I wonder howmuch brain it take to make that wooden scooter. Bravo!
Old 08-19-13, 10:22 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

LOL Good one. I am sure they are thinking about the vette but the type of buyer who buys a 911 is not usually going to take a corvette very seriously. Just saying
Old 08-19-13, 10:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am sure they are thinking about the vette but the type of buyer who buys a 911 is not usually going to take a corvette very seriously. Just saying
That's mostly because of the traditional Porsche snob-appeal.
Old 08-19-13, 11:34 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 476 Likes on 299 Posts

There is a badge premium for Porsche, but there is also an engineering premium. Porsche engineers and builds its cars to an astonishingly high standard. These are cars that you can drive to a track, trash to within an inch of its life, and know you can drive home confident that things won't break. That doesn't come cheap. Porsche sales are at an all time high, they really don't need to go downmarket. They simply need to carry on doing what they do better than pretty much everyone else.
Old 08-19-13, 11:45 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by swajames
There is a badge premium for Porsche, but there is also an engineering premium. Porsche engineers and builds its cars to an astonishingly high standard. These are cars that you can drive to a track, trash to within an inch of its life, and know you can drive home confident that things won't break. That doesn't come cheap. Porsche sales are at an all time high, they really don't need to go downmarket. They simply need to carry on doing what they do better than pretty much everyone else.
Isn't Porsche just like how reliable the Toyota is from the Japanese ? Porsche is most reliable German ?
Old 08-19-13, 12:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd rather have a vette over a glorified beetle.
Old 08-19-13, 12:04 PM
LexFather

Every company wishes they could be in Porsche's position. They are among the most profitable and revered in the world.

Is it odd a Boxster or Cayman is more expensive in most cases than a C7? Yup. Are people going to stop buying them? Nope.

Porsche is nearly the perfect example of how to market, promote, exhibit, engineer, build, sell your product.

Old 08-19-13, 12:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's mostly because of the traditional Porsche snob-appeal.
I agree with you but there are some quality and reliability differences. Im not saying it is , or was, worth almost double the money but Porsche still sells their 911s. I think Porsche would see a huge increase in sales if they just brought he price of their cars into the stratosphere. I have seen boxsters loaded with a price tag in the 80K range
Old 08-19-13, 12:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Every company wishes they could be in Porsche's position. They are among the most profitable and revered in the world.

Is it odd a Boxster or Cayman is more expensive in most cases than a C7? Yup. Are people going to stop buying them? Nope.

Porsche is nearly the perfect example of how to market, promote, exhibit, engineer, build, sell your product.
But it wasn't always this way. Their success is only recent, they were in deep trouble back in the 90ies, and if they didn't learn from Toyota, they'd probably cease to exist.

Also they are apparently still having a lot of internal problems with VW.
Old 08-19-13, 02:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I have to agree. If they can do the sub Panamera sedan as well as adding the new Macan I think they will only make a good thing better.

The new Vette is a looker , but I saw a red Carrera in front of me at El Pollo loco yesterday and I would say its one of the best looking cars on the road right now and definitly the best looking 911. The wheelbase is opened up to the point where the car almost looks like it could almost be mid engined
Old 08-19-13, 02:57 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

I doubt porsche will be in any trouble. It's not like this is the first time there has been more affordable cars than their porsche's.

but heck that c7 is hot!! and for sure it will sell for higher than msrp for the first 2 years.
Old 08-19-13, 03:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I think the interior improvement in the Vette is great BUT its still a generation behind even the Viper. I go to Cars and Coffee events all the time and I must say the new interior on the 911 is light years ahead of the Vette. Its sporty but still luxurious since the materials are so high end. The vette interior looks way more boy racer to me. Vette just seems like a different type of sports car
Old 08-19-13, 03:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Porsche needs to consider lowering their prices.
thanks for the laugh. no they don't! they don't WANT to sell zillions of vehicles. that's like saying rolls royce should consider lowering their prices. no they shouldn't.

Originally Posted by Och
I'd rather have a vette over a glorified beetle.
words escape me. smh.

preach on

Originally Posted by Och
But it wasn't always this way. Their success is only recent, they were in deep trouble back in the 90ies, and if they didn't learn from Toyota, they'd probably cease to exist.
so? that was then (20 years ago). yes, they had manufacturing problems as well as strategic problems figuring out how to do relatively low volume vehicles at high margins. well, they figured it out!

Quick Reply: Porsche worries over the new Corvette C7 Stingray