Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

loaded Venza Limited or Acura RDX (fwd) with Technology package?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-13, 11:42 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^ Whew! That came out longer than I had in mind. (TWSS).

TL;DR version: I got a Venza. Even if RDX was only $4k more, my choice remains.
Old 08-14-13, 07:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

^^^ thanks for the real world feedback.

i like the venza overall, but wish it had a bit more room (height) and a bit better fuel economy, but it's still competitive, and decent looking.
Old 08-14-13, 09:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
You must not have taken a S2000, Integra Type R, or last gen Prelude to redline, they will all pin you back in your seat pretty good, especially the S2000.

Yeah, but look at the S2000's specs. The first-generation models had a 9000 RPM redline, with max HP at 8600 and max torque at 7600. And you had to rev it to these electric-motor speeds to get any significant torque at all.....and then what torque it had (150-160 ft-lbs.) came on all at once. That engine, IMO, clearly did not belong in a street car....it was unsuited for daily-driving.
Old 08-14-13, 10:40 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah, but look at the S2000's specs. The first-generation models had a 9000 RPM redline, with max HP at 8600 and max torque at 7600. And you had to rev it to these electric-motor speeds to get any significant torque at all.....and then what torque it had (150-160 ft-lbs.) came on all at once. That engine, IMO, clearly did not belong in a street car....it was unsuited for daily-driving.
Agree 100%

The only way to make a S2000 feel fast off the line is to drop the clutch at 6000 rpm to do a drag launch.
Old 08-14-13, 10:24 PM
Sh1nra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IceIridium
I picked up a 2013 Venza Touring V6 AWD recently. (Touring is just like USA's Limited model but without JBL).

I didn't really cross shop all that much before buying but I'll give you my limited info. Basically for me, it went down to price and features.

Over here in the Great not-so-White North, pricing structure may be different than in the US, but an RDX here with tech package is about 10G's above the price of a Touring model Venza. Acura is offering $2500 on the hood of the RDX you say? Well, Toyota is offering $4000.

So for approximately $34,000 before negotiations, I can get into a 268hp AWD Toyota with Navi, pano roof, 20" wheels, xenon, LED DRL, leather, backup cam, power hatch... etc. Which makes it a superb deal compared with Pilot (fug), Highlander (soon to be redesigned and I don't like the redesign), RDX, and Q5, each of which need about $10-15K to get the equipment to the Venza's spec. (Though I know with some of them you get more than what's in the Venza with that $15K).

This also makes it only about $500-1000 more than a comparably equipped Rav4 or CRV (no rebates) (and with those you couldn't even get things like Pano roof or LED DRL or power hatch). Plus those cars, to me, look unsightly now with the last redesign and all the black plastic all over the car. i.e. They look cheap to me. The Venza looks so much more higher end than those, on looks alone. (And in terms of car echelon it's on par with the RDX. To me, the RDX doesn't have the luxury cache it thinks it has. Kinda like the X1.)

The Acura interiors may be better built and better quality materials but I never did get to like Acura's interior designs. It's an upwards bulging screen with a black tower of endless buttons below, usually framed by overstyled hourglass curves. I actually prefer the interior styling they put into the regular Honda cars.

Handling? It handles good enough all things considered. I got this car for practicality, not to throw it into curves. If I really want to toss a car around I'd get into my F.

Other pros:
LOVE those LED DRL's. I spent $1300 to get them on my IS-F but I think they're nicer on the Venza. Really sharp looking with them on.
I like the 20" wheels. They give the car PRESENCE. Don't know why people complain about the size. Many owners of other cars spend big bucks to get them big. Many CUV's use big wheels now. (Doesn't Ford use 22's on rubber band tires?) It's also a 50-series tire. So it's not like I'm riding on rims. I think it rides great. Family never complained either.
I've never owned a SUV/CUV before so I wasn't sure whether I'd like the driving height. So I do like the fact the Venza's pretty much a tall wagon, but not quite SUV height. Doesn't feel like I'm on stilts.

Cons:
Yes, the overall design is 5 years old, but I do like the 2013 facelift with the new grille and especially those headlights.
Interior fit could be better. Especially with my grey interior I can see some inconsistent panel gaps on the lower dash.
Weight. It's a porker. But not too far off from the competition.
6-speed auto. Honda is still using 5's for the CRV and Pilot.
Considering the size, it should have more cargo room than it does. Must be that low-ish roof line.
Congrats on the purchase! Maybe some pictures when you get the chance?
Old 08-15-13, 12:24 AM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sh1nra
Congrats on the purchase! Maybe some pictures when you get the chance?
Well since you asked nicely...

Introducing, My 2013 Cosmic Grey Mica Toyota Venza V6 AWD Touring:

^ This picture is of my actual car but I didn't take it. I pulled it from the website of the dealership I got it from.

^ Quite a complimentary pair, methinks.
Old 08-15-13, 06:55 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Really like the interior design on the picture. looks very comfy...
Old 08-15-13, 07:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

i like the changes they did on the Venza... for the same price, i would rather get RDX, but I wouldnt pay $10k more for RDX with same equipment as Venza.

Hopefully they do next generation Venza, and they do it similar to how they did new Avalon.
Old 08-15-13, 07:48 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i like the changes they did on the Venza... for the same price, i would rather get RDX, but I wouldnt pay $10k more for RDX with same equipment as Venza.
Yeah. $10k is a lot of money to justify paying for build quality over functionality. Both have the potential to last for thousands of worry-free miles.

The Venza does a great job, and will function the same as the RDX.

It's then a matter of value for the OP...
Old 08-15-13, 09:51 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I never had any issues driving the S2000 around town, I have driven plenty of heavier cars with less torque and power then a S2000 and managed so the S2000 never bothered me, yes it is different then the torque from my V8 in my GS but the S2000 is very light, has a easy to shift manual with a light clutch, and is very easy to rev to give it the power I need when I need it. The later S2000 with the larger engine had more torque down low and was very suitable for a street car unless you only find big V6/V8 power suitable for everyday driving.

Congrats on the Venza, Ice, not my cup of tea but you can't ignore how much money you saved over getting the RDX.
Old 08-15-13, 10:42 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kool ! cogratulation! Just a curious question how come you chose awd version?
Old 08-16-13, 08:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I never had any issues driving the S2000 around town, I have driven plenty of heavier cars with less torque and power then a S2000 and managed so the S2000 never bothered me, yes it is different then the torque from my V8 in my GS but the S2000 is very light, has a easy to shift manual with a light clutch, and is very easy to rev to give it the power I need when I need it. The later S2000 with the larger engine had more torque down low and was very suitable for a street car unless you only find big V6/V8 power suitable for everyday driving.
Yes, Honda, on the 2Gen S2000, did tame the absurd torque-curve and power-maxes of the original version a little, but it was still an extremely peaky engine....more or less like the Toyota Celica/Matrix's upmarket VTEC four.
Old 08-16-13, 08:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Congrats on the Venza, Ice, not my cup of tea but you can't ignore how much money you saved over getting the RDX.
I had Corolla with 2ZZ-GE and as you, i have no idea why would anyone in their right mind have as much issues with driving a sports car at 7000 rpm.

I never tried S2000, but I loved the sound and the kick I got from my 2ZZ-GE and S2000 could be only even nicer.

Another reason why we really shouldnt rely on mags to tell us what is what.
Old 08-16-13, 08:56 AM
LexFather

WTF does the S2000 have to do with anything?

Old 08-16-13, 09:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
WTF does the S2000 have to do with anything?
lalexusgs, UDel, and myself were discussing a driving comparison of the original RDX's four, its current V6, and comparison to other Honda fours....including the ultra-peaky S2000. But I agree with you....no need to discuss it further.

Quick Reply: loaded Venza Limited or Acura RDX (fwd) with Technology package?