Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How do car dealers handle damaged new cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-13, 12:39 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Once in a while a car is received damaged and the dealer is never aware of it. I bought a '67 Mustang in December of '66, and when I got it home, my neighbor, standing about 30 feet away pointed out a bullet hole in the driver's door. It was below the side scoop, so it wasn't apparent standing close to the car. It penetrated the door and struck the bottom of the driver's seat trim. Make-ready missed it since it was such a quick turn-around item, it's time in dealer inventory was less than two hours. Thankfully he swapped me an identical car the same day.

His explanation was understandable. About that time Mustangs were the hottest ticket in the automotive world, and they were coming into town by the trainload. Occasionally, while traveling by rail on open railcars, new cars would be damaged - either by someone taking potshots at them, or by climbing on the car at a siding and stealing anything they could reach. Mustangs, because of their popularity were a huge target.

It was a real problem because the dealer would pay for the repairs and submit the invoices to Ford (in this case) who would then pursue cases of major damage. It often took months for the dealer to get his expenses covered. As others have said, it's up to the dealer to be honest about any damage they repair, whether caused in transit or on their lot.

Today, new cars often travel by rail, but the railcars have heavy sheets of perforated metal along the sides to discourage vandals. It's not easy to get inside the railcar with all of that on there, and worse to try to make a quick exit. Besides, that moving pattern of light and dark makes them a pretty tricky target when moving, and because the shooter can't see the damage he's caused, it sorta takes the fun out of it.
Old 08-07-13, 10:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X

His explanation was understandable. About that time Mustangs were the hottest ticket in the automotive world,
Probably about on a tie wth the Pontiac GTO. Like with the 1Gen 64-66 Mustang, people just went ape-****** over Goats. Chevy SS models of all types were also rapidly gaining momentum....particularly the Impala/Chevelle SS.

either by someone taking potshots at them
Who but a sicko would do that? Reminds me of some of the eco-terrorists that target large SUVs.