Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Well done, Chevy....Consumer Reports agrees with me on the new 2014 Impala.

Old 08-03-13, 10:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Well done, Chevy....Consumer Reports agrees with me on the new 2014 Impala.

In my recent full-review of the all-new 2014 Chevy Impala (posted here on CAR CHAT), I was very strongly impressed with it, and found it, by my standards, a true pleasure to drive.....although there were a couple of flimsy interior-trim parts here and there. I felt it was the best new Impala I'd seen since the 1970s...or perhaps even the late 60s. Clearly gone are the days when the Impala looked....and drove....like a second-class rental that one would pick up at the airport.

Consumer Reports, now that they have had a chance to review a new Impala and compare it to its rivals, also agrees. They note the light-year difference between this version and the old one, and gave it a 95 out of 100 possible score, placing it #1 in its class...even several points ahead of the new Avalon. Unfortunately, of course, neither the new Avalon or Impala can be officially recommended by CR until they have an established reliability record, which neither car yet has....that is now the case with CR on virtually any new or extensively redesigned model.

Just my own opinion, BTW.....I still feel that the new Impala's chassis is the one that the new Avalon should have got, and didn't. The Avalon, though (now) with excellent fit/finish and a much-improved interior, is clearly biased too much with a sporting-chassis and rides too stiffly. The new Impala, like the Buick Lacrosse, is an ideal combination of ride-handling and noise-isolation.

(This is a brief condensation of their report....for some reason, they are restricting the full-report Internet access, which is printed in their paper copy of the latest issue)

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/chevrolet/impala.htm

The redesigned 2014 Impala is now a contemporary large, upscale sedan that's roomy, comfortable, quiet, refined and is enjoyable to drive. Engine choices include a 3.6-liter V6, a 2.5-liter four-cylinder, and the 2.4-liter four with eAssist. All are paired with a six-speed automatic. The V6 version accelerates and brakes capably. Handling is secure and responsive. The car rides like a luxury sedan with a cushy and controlled demeanor. The cabin is very quiet. The roomy interior has a sumptuous back seat and a huge trunk. Interior ambience and trimmings are largely of high quality. The controls are presented in an intuitive, easy to use way without resorting to a newfangled and over-complicated interface. The downside is that rear visibility is a bit wanting. Advanced electronic safety features are readily available.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-03-13 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-03-13, 10:17 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Big car at 201.3" in length.
Nice car but the interior is typical GM dash and center console cheap and the faux wood trim is terrible but still a lot of car for the money loaded with options.
Especially after the big GM incentives start soon..
Old 08-03-13, 10:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

interior is not bad, but it is not really nice either... maybe it will look better in real life pics... front is good looking, but back has some strange mix of A4 and Sonata lines.

lets hope it sells good for them.
Old 08-03-13, 10:31 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow!! 95 out of 100 from CR is insanely good! I had the previous as a rental and it really did feel way too much like a second class rental car like you said. Will definitely check out the new one.
Old 08-03-13, 10:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

saw one on the road in orlando (probably a rental along with the zillion chrysler 200's here that nobody else wants ), and i thought wow what a looker!

congrats to GM!

ford and gm set the standard for quiet in mainstream vehicles these days, something i value highly.
Old 08-03-13, 10:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
interior is not bad, but it is not really nice either... maybe it will look better in real life pics... front is good looking, but back has some strange mix of A4 and Sonata lines.
Agreed it's not necessarily the best interior on the road, but it's far from what I would call bad or cheaply-done. The real brilliance of this car, though, is under the skin, with refinement/noise-isolation, and in the chassis.
Old 08-03-13, 10:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed it's not necessarily the best interior on the road, but it's far from what I would call bad or cheaply-done. The real brilliance of this car, though, is under the skin, with refinement/noise-isolation, and in the chassis.
no wonder, it is 330lbs heavier than Avalon... GM needs to solve their weight problem, Opel is dying in Europe because every one of their cars is significantly heavier and ends up having significantly worse mpg in real life vs opposition.
Old 08-03-13, 11:06 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

CR's top rated Large Sedans in order are: Impala, Genesis V6, Avalon, Chrysler 300 V6 and Maxima.

Followed by Azera, MKZ, LaCrosse eAssist, Charger V6, LaCrosse V6 and Taurus.
Old 08-03-13, 12:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

impressive. I dont ever remember hearing a score that high
Old 08-03-13, 01:37 PM
LexFather

It looks great to me and I'm eager to rent one soon. Seems they nailed this car.

Old 08-03-13, 02:47 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 154 Likes on 91 Posts

Glad it's gaining positive reports. GM needs winners in these segments. However, I personally can't get passed the creeping lava flow dash design.
Old 08-03-13, 11:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Wish the Impala offered an AWD option but otherwise a solid improvement over last gen
Old 08-04-13, 06:26 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Lets not forget that the new Impala is no longer an inexpensive car it once was.
Old 08-04-13, 06:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Lets not forget that the new Impala is no longer an inexpensive car it once was.
True but soon with GM discounting,a fully loaded w/adaptive cruise 2LTZ can be bought for say $38K.
Not a bad price for the loaded Chevy flagship with great reviews,IMO..
Old 08-04-13, 06:59 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Big car at 201.3" in length.
Yes. It is after all, a full size.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well done, Chevy....Consumer Reports agrees with me on the new 2014 Impala.