Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My Test Drive Review: 2013 Audi A5 Premium Plus

Old 11-22-13, 11:34 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks man. Its nice that you can get the s line competition package on the premium package for an additional 4200 dollars which gets you quite a bit of nice stuff where as the regular s line package requires you to get the prestige package that'll set you back an additional (5900 to add the prestige pkg on top of the premium package and 2800 for the s line pkg)
Old 11-23-13, 08:30 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

wow great looking car....congrats!

love those wheels....used to be S4 only wheels.
Old 11-24-13, 01:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

what a CLEAN looking shape and design. very very nice. congrats.

is that a cloth interior? can you give an options/features list on yours? how was the sales experience?

you said you were worred about reliability in the past, but not so much now... does it come with a maintenance package?
Old 11-24-13, 02:15 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
does it come with a maintenance package?
no complimentary maintenance anymore on audis, but oil chg interval is 10K miles, so not sure its worth it to prepay (I have mine changed every 5K).
Old 11-24-13, 02:39 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
no complimentary maintenance anymore on audis, but oil chg interval is 10K miles, so not sure its worth it to prepay (I have mine changed every 5K).
We bought a new 2013 Audi one year ago this month and passed on the prepaid maintenance too. I typically don't keep cars much beyond the warranty period so not worth it to me.
Old 11-24-13, 02:49 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
cool review. thanks for sharing. Whats funny is I had a little on ramp race with one of these this morning with the 2.0L turbo, It was very quick off the line but my LS killed it once we hit second gear. Seems odd to drive a high end car with a little motor like that especially when its in so many cheaper lighter cars, but I guess this is the sign of the times. Still felt good to dust him since he was the one to initiate the drag race

I like this model but the Audi lines are little too simple for me in many cases. I like a little flare and design style in my cars
The LS460 is fast but it never feels fast.
Old 11-24-13, 05:10 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
We bought a new 2013 Audi one year ago this month and passed on the prepaid maintenance too. I typically don't keep cars much beyond the warranty period so not worth it to me.
here's the maintenance guide for 2013s....
http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/a...-Year-2013.pdf
Old 11-24-13, 07:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
The LS460 is fast but it never feels fast.
that can be ok... a kind of effortless progressive speed from a super smooth v8... very luxurious. certainly more luxurious than some buzzy turbo 2L, lol
Old 11-24-13, 07:12 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

that can be ok... a kind of effortless progressive speed from a super smooth v8... very luxurious. certainly more luxurious than some buzzy turbo 2L, lol
Yeah the 1UR-FSE is very good for a smallish 4.6L V8

2L Turbo a joke for a 50k car

You find them on 30k cars
Old 11-24-13, 10:01 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

what a CLEAN looking shape and design. very very nice. congrats.

is that a cloth interior? can you give an options/features list on yours? how was the sales experience?

you said you were worred about reliability in the past, but not so much now... does it come with a maintenance package?
Thank you. I had to pass on the new IS as it was too bold/extreme for my liking, Audi A5's have just the right amount of style and the shape and design is drop dead sexy to me.

The interior is leather/alcantara/suede. It only comes in the s line package.

I have the Premium package with the S line competition package.

I have heated sport seats with HID's.

The completion package adds:

Front and rear alloy wheels: 19" x 9.0"; Front and rear 255/35-19 and summer tires; Sport suspension; Black diffuser surround; S line emblems on exterior and steering wheel; Chrome trim; S line front & rear bumper and side sills; 3-spoke flat-bottom steering wheel; Transmission: and paddle shifters includes gearchange paddles; Brilliant Black exterior modlings and mirror housing door sill blades; Alcantara® upholstery; Driver and front passenger seat sports front seat manual thigh support

My salesman was great. I automatically got a 6% discount as the company I work for is a preferred customer so no haggling was necessary. The salesman never pressured me and originally I was looking at the A4 but couldn't resist the sexiness of the coupe. I also wanted a certain color with a manual which was no where to be found and special ordering was a breeze.

When I bought my IS350, the experience was great as well with the exception that I wanted a starfire pearl with black interior and no nav. I asked the dealer if I could special order and they really balked on my request so I had to settle with cashmere.

The maintenance on the A5 is on par with the IS350 I had. Oil changes every 10k miles ( I will be doing every 5k for peace of mind) .
Old 11-24-13, 10:06 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fasteddy91
Thank you. I had to pass on the new IS as it was too bold/extreme for my liking, Audi A5's have just the right amount of style and the shape and design is drop dead sexy to me.

The interior is leather/alcantara/suede. It only comes in the s line package.

I have the Premium package with the S line competition package.

I have heated sport seats with HID's.

The completion package adds:

Front and rear alloy wheels: 19" x 9.0"; Front and rear 255/35-19 and summer tires; Sport suspension; Black diffuser surround; S line emblems on exterior and steering wheel; Chrome trim; S line front & rear bumper and side sills; 3-spoke flat-bottom steering wheel; Transmission: and paddle shifters includes gearchange paddles; Brilliant Black exterior modlings and mirror housing door sill blades; Alcantara® upholstery; Driver and front passenger seat sports front seat manual thigh support

My salesman was great. I automatically got a 6% discount as the company I work for is a preferred customer so no haggling was necessary. The salesman never pressured me and originally I was looking at the A4 but couldn't resist the sexiness of the coupe. I also wanted a certain color with a manual which was no where to be found and special ordering was a breeze.

When I bought my IS350, the experience was great as well with the exception that I wanted a starfire pearl with black interior and no nav. I asked the dealer if I could special order and they really balked on my request so I had to settle with cashmere.

The maintenance on the A5 is on par with the IS350 I had. Oil changes every 10k miles ( I will be doing every 5k for peace of mind) .
10k miles interval is way too much. especially for a turbocharged motor.
Old 11-24-13, 10:13 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

^ I agree.
Old 11-24-13, 10:45 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

I own a Missano Red manual TT myself. I came from a Toyota MR2 (hence my screen name). BIGGEST financial mistake of my life bar none. I fell in love with the car, just make sure you dump it when the warranty runs out. My mechanic and friend warned me to buy any car but Audi, but I didn't listen. He was right. Now I'm passing this along.

IF you don't get the turbo engine you will have an ok go of it, if its the turbo... keep an eye on that mileage and don't ever be late with oil changes or any service. My service manual says 10k oil changes... don't listen to that and use VW503.1 oil only (I think they changed the standard recently).
Old 11-24-13, 11:54 PM
fasteddy91
Lead Lap

Thanks for the advice. I will be changing my oil every 5k to what ever oil VW recommends.
Old 11-25-13, 12:22 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fasteddy91
Thanks for the advice. I will be changing my oil every 5k to what ever oil VW recommends.
Also every time you change the oil also change the oil filter. Otherwise it's pretty much a wasted effort.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Test Drive Review: 2013 Audi A5 Premium Plus