Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cars with good headroom for taller folks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-13, 09:41 AM
mortey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cars with good headroom for taller folks?

Hello all,

It's that time for me to get a new car and I decided I wanted a Lexus. Went to the dealer and tried an IS, and older ES (2003), a newer ES (2009), a 2010 Avalon, and older LS400 and had absolutely no headroom in any car. Getting the seat where I want it made my hair touch the roof and if I tilted my head down, as if I were looking at the gauges on the cluster, my head completely hit the roof.

Do you have any recommendations for cars that have good headroom? I tried a few SUVs like an RX 330 and 350, Highlander, and Rav4 at different times and those have been fine but I'd prefer a car. I have tried the LS430 before and that was fine but not sure I want an LS with those repair bills.

It seems that since cars have been looking more "sporty" or sleek, they really cut out on the headroom. Is this a common issue in the automotive world? I want a comfortable, quiet, and refined ride.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 08-01-13, 09:58 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on how much headroom you need. I am 6'4" and have a is250 and it is decent enough headroom IMO. Did you adjust the seat appropriately because it has back and fourth/up and down seat functions for more room head room. I Know a guy who is 6'7 and he drives a lotus elise comfortably and those cars are much smaller compared to the lexus IS

Other than that i would use this list as a starting place
http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...-for-2013.html

Ive driven the XTS and the ATS (rentals) before and they provide alot more headroom than I thought it would. Also the BMW 7 series is great for tall people but since you said you cant deal with the LS400 repair bill, I doubt you would want to pick up one on the BMW
Old 08-01-13, 09:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Most vehicles today have height/tilt-adjustable seat cushions and rake-adjusting seat-backs. Are you sure that, when you sample these vehicles, that you are adjusting the seat-cushions all the way down? You can also lower the seatback angle some, but you don't want to do that too much because it may leave you slouching at an awkward angle and lessen the effect of the belt/harness system in a crash.

Another tip......if possible, look for a car without a factory-installed sunroof. The ceiling in many sunroof/moonroof cars is sometimes lowered as much as an inch to an inch-and-a-half to make room inside for the roof-panel to slide back and be covered, which could make a difference in headroom, especially for tall people. Not only the benefit of added headroom, but not having a sunroof also lessens the potential for rattles/squeaks, leaks, roof-flexing under stress, and, of course, getting drenched in a rainstorm if the power-motor or mechanism fails. In my CAR CHAT auto reviews, I usually describe each vehicle's front and rear headroom.

Another thing to stay away from, in general (tough there are a few exceptions), are sedans with the now-almost-ubiquitous humpback-whale droop-rear rooflines, especially for rear-seat headroom. This is being done more and more nowadays as a styling-cue that tries to make sedans liike like coupes, but it can be a real pain in the a** for tall people in the rear seat.
Old 08-01-13, 09:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
I Know a guy who is 6'7 and he drives a lotus elise comfortably
6-7 in an Elise?

No offense, but you've got to be kidding.
Old 08-01-13, 10:11 AM
mortey
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the thoughts guys!

I have absolutely played with the seats to try and get the most comfortable position. I am aware of all the different ways they move. My BMW does it right now and the only way I can have a decent amount of headroom is to tilt the seat backwards which does not make for a comfortable driving position. It's too bad because I REALLY loved the ES 350. A lot. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't make it work.

As for the sunfroof, it's something I actually want. It makes the car feel bigger inside when the shade is back and I like to keep it open. I live in Southern California so there are plenty of opportunities to do so.

@NYKnick101 I have actually sat in an ATS before and loved it a lot. The ride was too firm for what I'm looking for and I'd prefer Japanese for reliability. I do appreciate the suggestion though.

I know there are lots of SUVs available that would fit the profile for what I'm looking for but a car would be nice. The LS430 is nice, but once again, I don't want to have to pay those large repair bills if something does go wrong.
Old 08-01-13, 10:33 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
6-7 in an Elise?

Serious as all can be. I do PCA events. I race but I also take photos when they have track days. The new guys like seeing their action shots around corners and stuff. He is at least 3-4 inches taller than me and I am 6'4". This is his car that he races. I will try to see if I have any pics of him next to his car. The Porsche's are tight fits for head room and comfort but that lotus is actually a lot more comfortable than you think.

Old 08-01-13, 10:38 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Another tip......if possible, look for a car without a factory-installed sunroof. The ceiling in many sunroof/moonroof cars is sometimes lowered as much as an inch to an inch-and-a-half to make room inside for the roof-panel to slide back and be covered, which could make a difference in headroom, especially for tall people. Not only the benefit of added headroom, but not having a sunroof also lessens the potential for rattles/squeaks, leaks, roof-flexing under stress, and, of course, getting drenched in a rainstorm if the power-motor or mechanism fails.

Originally Posted by mortey
Thanks for the thoughts guys!

@NYKnick101 I have actually sat in an ATS before and loved it a lot. The ride was too firm for what I'm looking for and I'd prefer Japanese for reliability. I do appreciate the suggestion though.
True. ATS i cannot comment on reliability but i hear is really good. The only thing I can think of is looking at premium SUV's if headrooms in the car become an issue. If all else fails. Get a Convertible and eliminate having the headroom issue all together lol
Old 08-01-13, 10:43 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I was going to suggest a 2000-2004 Avalon. I had one of these, TONS of room in it. If you look at it from the side, you can see why. Tall roof, big windows, its before the Chrysler 300 and Benz CLS came out and everybody started lowering the roof lines and making the windows tiny. The LS430 has the same sort of look going on as well.

Go read on the LS430 boards, there isn't much that goes wrong with these cars. Just avoid the top of the line model that has air suspension and the fancy self closing door option and I think you would be good to go. Really you don't need to take it to the dealer for service, most shops that work on Toyota would be glad to service it for you. Also check and see when the timing belt was last replaced, as that is about a $1000 bill for that job. Honestly I don't think your repair bills would be any different than if you owned an ES or GS from that era.
Old 08-01-13, 11:00 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

6-7 in an Elise?

Yeah I have to call BS on that too
Old 08-01-13, 11:02 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I would say the LS is the best. I am 6'5" and I have driven all of the Lexus vehicles except for the LFA. The LS is the best if you don't want an SUV. I had a GS and it was a joke. My head would hit the ceiling if I hit a dip. The IS wasn't horrible but it wasn't like the LS. How tall are you?
Old 08-01-13, 11:09 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If Shaquille can fit in a SMART cabrio...

Old 08-01-13, 11:12 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

But yeah, convertibles have the most headroom...

Old 08-01-13, 11:13 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Yeah I have to call BS on that too
lol GOT PROOF... THANK GOD FOR CELLPHONES WITH CAMERAS... The lift that we have in our shop is 8 feet tall.

Sorry to thread jack... Back to Topic at hand... STARTINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG..... NOW!
Old 08-01-13, 11:13 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

6'3" and I fit in my 335i convertible just fine. With the top UP!
Old 08-01-13, 11:15 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
lol GOT PROOF... THANK GOD FOR CELLPHONES WITH CAMERAS... The lift that we have in our shop is 8 feet tall.

Sorry to thread jack... Back to Topic at hand... STARTINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG..... NOW!
I believe it. Cars that are dedicated two-seaters can have a deceptive amount of space as they're not having to compromise anything in the floorplan for making room for rear passengers. A high school friend of mine had an early-70's Triumph TR6 which he was rebuilding with his dad in high school, and I fit my 6'3" frame into that just great too! I didn't think I'd fit at first but he swore I would and sure enough I fit fine.

Funny pic!!

Quick Reply: Cars with good headroom for taller folks?