Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: How should Toyota go about with a new Supra?
I'll be ok with a reskin Toyota version of the Lexus LF-LC.
57.14%
I would like the new Supra to end up being the joint midsize BMW/Toyota sports car.
42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Gives Nod To Future Lexus LF-LC Based Supra?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-13, 11:27 PM
MelF1fan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Like what everyone said, just bring it

Seeing that lexus is beating bmw in the handling department, what's the point of lexus joint venture with bmw again???
Could be to come back with a badass Inline 6 for the Supra. BMW the only one actively bringing straight 6's but toyota with BMW electronics?

Also since it's said both will have their own version of the car... where will it be built?

Separate builds in Germany and Japan or all from one line?

In any case, if the Supra indeed comes back, i'd really be interested... hmmm.. RC or Supra?
Old 08-01-13, 12:38 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
Supra with BMW influence? I don't want thing to break down. Toyota, you can do it all by yourself. They should've done the FT86 without Subaru too.
It makes sense for Toyota to go to Subaru for boxer engine because Subaru is a part of Toyota (FHI).
Old 08-01-13, 08:22 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Seeing that lexus is beating bmw in the handling department, what's the point of lexus joint venture with bmw again???
I think they want to use BMW's straight six; also keeping with the Supra tradition.
Old 08-01-13, 08:25 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Five options for BMW and Toyota sportscar

BMW is considering “four, five or six” in-house propositions for its future all-new sports car to be produced partly in collaboration with Toyota.

Seven months ago, Toyota and BMW announced a far-reaching technical partnership including an eye-opening decision to jointly create and produce “the architecture and other components” for a new sports car.

Both have since revealed little about their sports car projects other than a predictable statement that they will “combine each other’s technology at a high level to maximise customer satisfaction”.

This did little to quell suggestions that the Japanese car giant would reprise its much-admired Supra, which went out of production a little more than a decade ago. Toyota’s new chairman, Takeshi Uchiyamada delighted old Supra fanatics when he said recently he favours a mid-sized vehicle, similar to the old Supra.

BMW has continued to stay very quiet about its new sports car plans, with even less clarity about its likely positioning – presumably upward of the current Z4 roadster but away from the exotic plug-in i8 hybrid sports car due to go on sale in 2014.

Speaking to Drive during last week's launch of the 4-Series, members of BMW's product team said it was working on “four, five or six" different possibilities for board evaluation.

“There is no decision on which direction we will go,” a BMW spokesman said.

“It could be a mid-engined supercar or a traditional front-engined sports car. We don’t know yet.”

He left no doubt that beyond some platform commonality, BMW and Toyota will create and produce two unique and different sports cars.

“To get the green light from the BMW board, this will have to be a real BMW sports car, even with the Toyota involvement.”

There is another rider too. “For BMW, every car must make money – that’s our basic principal. We ask ourselves: is there a market for this car?”

Asked whether there was a fear that BMW’s powerful brand could be hurt by such a close association with the Japanese mainstream car maker, the spokesman was unapologetic, insisting the project will play to the strengths of two highly successful manufacturers.

He reminded Drive that Toyota-owned Lexus is a worthy premium-brand rival to BMW with excellent sports car credentials showcased by the LFA super coupe.

Under the terms of the agreement, the two companies are jointly developing lightweight technologies using cutting-edge materials such as reinforced composites. These technologies will be used in the sports-vehicle platform as well as other BMW and Toyota vehicles.

The broader technical partnership focussing on the lightweight materials, fuel-cell development and hybrid powertrains, is also moving along steadily, BMW confirms.

Pundits have generally praised the union between the world’s best-selling luxury brand and the biggest global car maker, pointing out the extensive collaboration is one formed not through economic necessity but from a position of strength.

Advancing too is an older agreement for Toyota to take a supply of efficient BMW diesel engines for various models from next year. This is to help Toyota expand further into diesel-loving Europe.

BMW will benefit from Toyota’s role as the world’s biggest maker of hybrid vehicles. The two are collaborating on lithium-ion batteries and other fuel-saving technologies.

The companies are convinced that fuel cell technology is one of the solutions necessary to achieve zero emissions. BMW and Toyota are to share their technologies and to jointly develop a fundamental fuel-cell vehicle system, including a fuel cell stack and system, and also a hydrogen tank, motor and battery, aiming for completion in 2020.
http://brisbanetimes.drive.com.au/mo...723-2qgpb.html

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 08-01-13 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-01-13, 08:50 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I really do think that a new Supra or a spiritual successor will result with BMW. The article from AutoNews about a Toyota version of the LF-LC has no facts or sources to support their claim. It seems that it was just wishful thinking done by the author and what he or she would like to see happen. Also Tada-san has said there is plans for a 3 sports car line up. Only one flagship sports car above the 86/FR-S and an entry level sports car below it.
Old 08-01-13, 11:02 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MelF1fan
Could be to come back with a badass Inline 6 for the Supra. BMW the only one actively bringing straight 6's but toyota with BMW electronics?

Also since it's said both will have their own version of the car... where will it be built?

Separate builds in Germany and Japan or all from one line?

In any case, if the Supra indeed comes back, i'd really be interested... hmmm.. RC or Supra?

Considering all the problems the BMW inline sixes have had, especially the turbo's I don't think I want a BMW inline six for a new Supra, I would love a new Toyota inline 6 that was overbuilt like the last Supra's. BMW turbo inline 6's don't reliably handle big power upgrades well
like the last Supra's did either. If Toyota does use a BMW inline 6 as a basic design they are going to have to do a lot of work to make them reliable especially for power upgrades.

Volvo still makes inline 6's but they are for transverse fwd cars, Ford still uses a inline 6 in its Falcon sedan in Australia, GM makes one for its SUV's/CUV's. There was a rumor Mercedes was going to start making inline 6's to replace their V6's because of turbo's becoming more popular.
Old 08-02-13, 07:24 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
Supra with BMW influence? I don't want thing to break down. Toyota, you can do it all by yourself. They should've done the FT86 without Subaru too.
Toyota wanted a boxer engine and a light weight platform which they did not have at the time. So to save on time and cost teaming up with Subaru make sense and a better business case to get the Toyota's board approval.
Old 08-02-13, 11:44 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Toyota will just slap the Supra name on anything like they did with the MR2... take a popular 90's model, redesign it as underpowered and ugly and call it the MR2 Spyder.

I lost faith in Toyota, at least American Honda can do the NSX correctly.
Old 08-03-13, 03:44 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

American Honda isn't doing much at all right in the sporty/sports car department. I'll give the still unreleased NSX a nod but until it's out, who's to say?

The S2000 is dead. Prelude is dead. The Civic Si is a sedan or egg-thing the size of a 90's Accord with only 200hp (their FWD cars never seem to get beyond 200-220hp, curiously and then only in the Japanese market). Finally, the CRZ is a decent chassis for a humble CRX replacement but they have only 138hp and aren't selling well. They also killed a near-production-ready V10 RWD NSX in favor of the current "green" design.

Honda is the one with stagnant sports car issues, not Toyota any longer. I gave up on that company years ago. I think this tie up with BMW will produce good things for the Supra.
Old 08-03-13, 07:22 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

I smell a pricey tagg. BMW is not cheap, unlike Subaru

So BMW + Lexus = .....??
Old 08-21-13, 08:34 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default 7 Things You Need to Know about the New Toyota Supra

As any gearhead would tell you, the Toyota Supra is a proper 90s hero car. Production ran for nearly 24 years, but it wasn’t until the Mark IV arrived in 1992, that the Supra cemented its place in history as the lovable, tunable, affordable sportscar king of the mid-90s.

Unfortunately- after a successful ten-year run- production ended with the Mark IV in 2002, leaving the Toyota lineup to sulk in its own facade of beige nothingness. The Camry, the Corolla, and of course, the Prius, sell well and meet the automaker’s “Global Vision” program, but don’t do much to inspire.

But now, there’s hope. President and CEO Akio Toyoda (a former racing driver), brings a fresh face to a brand that had seemed to have lost its “fun” perception of the 80s and 90s. With cars like the GT 86, it’s the first step in the right direction, and a new sportscar which many have pegged as the successor to the Supra is in the works.

What it will officially entail has yet to be determined. But based on previous reports, rumors, and a little bit of research- we pulled together 7 things that you need to know regarding the upcoming new Supra, and an exclusive rendering done up our friends at Hansen Art:

It might not actually be called “Supra”

And that’s going to be rather disheartening for a lot of people to hear. As the Gen-Y car-buying market begins to bloom, many are looking for familiar nameplates. It brings back a sense of nostalgia, a sense of what was once great. As of now, Toyota tells us that the Supra moniker is only but a “candidate” in a long list of possible names for the new sportscar.

It’s going to be hybrid

Strike two, for many Supra faithful. The 2JZ (twin-turbo, inline-six) engine was well-loved for its ability to churn out massive amounts of aftermarket power. But as with many hybrid powertrains we see today, many shops tend to stay out of harms way, as working on such a vehicle gets overly complicated and expensive.

Emission standards are hitting automakers hard, and as Toyota sits at the forefront of hybrid research, we don’t doubt the Supra will be the automaker’s next pet project in a line of high-performance, fuel-efficienct sportscars.

It’s going to be powerful

Finally, some good news. Yes, it’s going to be about as powerful as many of the other competing supercars hitting the market at the time (GT-R, R8, Evo XI, etc.). 500-hp, or more, is predicted to come from under the hood.

It’s going to be rear-wheel drive

A breath of fresh air for many worried as to the softening of the Supra. It will remain rear-drive, as confirmed by GT 86 chief engineer Tetsuya Tada. Previous rumors suggested that all-wheel-drive would be in play, but Toyota is sticking to its guns (somewhat) and keeping the buyer in mind.

It might not come with a manual

But then again, neither will most high-performance sportscars succumbing to the hybrid era. Sigh…

It’s going to use plenty of carbon fiber

Carbon fiber is a must on top notch performance vehicles. And with the new Supra, Toyota isn’t slacking on the good stuff. Together, including BMW– with whom they partnered on the i8, you may remember- the Supra successor should come with a similar lightweight build derived from the i8. Although many details are still unclear.

It’s going to be “fun”

I think this is the most important factor here. Sure, it might be a paddle-shifting, hybrid-driving, soft sportster, but Toyota knows how to make fun sportscars. And make them well. The original Supra, the Celica, the 2000GT, the GT 86 have all been heralded as some of the most fun rides on the planet.

We just hope the Supra lives up to expectations. And that we see it soon than later.
http://autos.yahoo.com/news/7-things...170021168.html
Old 08-21-13, 08:44 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Old 08-21-13, 09:00 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

one more point:

It's going to be "expensive"

I like the rendering though. I'd drive it.
Old 08-21-13, 10:48 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rumor
It’s going to use plenty of carbon fiber

Carbon fiber is a must on top notch performance vehicles. And with the new Supra, Toyota isn’t slacking on the good stuff. Together, including BMW– with whom they partnered on the i8, you may remember- the Supra successor should come with a similar lightweight build derived from the i8. Although many details are still unclear.
I hope not, at least not in the base trim, or the Supra will be too expensive for what the brand can command.

Last edited by ydooby; 08-21-13 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-21-13, 02:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

That render really looks like the LFA hah

Still looks nice. Nice price it at $80,000 and undercut the GT-R