Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Is this the GS F?
Yes
66.67%
No
33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus GS F sightings (updated pg 20)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-13, 01:56 PM
madfast
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Upper echelon?
yes. $100k+ cars. lexus should stay away as much as possible.

You do realize that Toyota as a company has far more cash reserves than either BMW, Mercedes and Volkswagen right? If it wanted to, Toyota could probably buy out BMW and Mercedes immediately. And BOTH companies at once. VW would be harder but would be a matter of time only.
this has nothing to do with the topic at hand

Don't mistake secretiveness and Japanese penchant for reserved behavior for lack of engineering prowess and ability. If I'm not wrong, Toyota has a far larger budget for and spent much more on research and development than the big German 3.
i dont think anybody doubts their engineering prowess. how much R&D do they spend on making fast cars vs hybrids? that is the question...

It's not a question of whether Toyota/Lexus can engineer a car to beat the M5/RS6/AMG. That's a given. It's a matter of whether the Lexus executives can make a good business case to the higher Toyota echelon that making a GS-F is worth their while.
there is no business case. people who can buy 100k sports cars want the prestige of a german car. lexus knows this. there is no need to compete against the M5 when they hardly have a 550i competitor. as much as lexus tried to push the GS450h as that car, being a hybrid, it just isnt the same. the GSF should compete against a well optioned 550i M Sport at about 75k.
Old 07-30-13, 02:18 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2014 Lexus GS F

When Lexus unveiled the IS F back in 2008, the world seemed to be impressed. While German automakers pointed and laughed at it, the model climbed its way up to be strong competitor on the market, and now Lexus is preparing another model fit to give its German competitors more reasons to fear. The Japanese market is preparing to launch the GS F, a model that will take on vehicles like the BMW M5 and the Mercedes E63 AMG.

This isn’t the first time we see something about the GS F, but this time, its official: an F version will be launched with the new generation GS set to be revealed sometime in 2012.

Expect the future GS F to combine design elements from the future generation GS and F elements from the IS-F sports sedan. Under the hood there will be the same V8 engine as found in the IS-F, but upgraded to deliver somewhere in the 450 HP range.

UPDATE 03/26/2012: In an interview with Autocar, Karl Schlicht has offered new details on the production version GS F super sedan. According to him, a final decision is yet to be made, but Lexus would love to see it put into production as "the final piece in a five-part product strategy to boost Lexus’s image and its sporting credentials." He also said that, if approved, the "GS F would be as much a potent grand tourer as an out-and-out focused driving tool."

UPDATE 03/28/2012: Today we have a new rendering for you for the upcoming Lexus GS F.

Hit the jump to read more about the future Lexus GS F.

Exterior and Interior
The difference between a standard GS model and the GS F will be made by a hood raised in the center to make room for the V8 engine. There will also be large brake cooling ducts adjacent to standard fog lamps, LED headlights, functional front fender air outlets with lower edges, four exhaust diffusers (two per side in a vertical arrangement), and 19" light alloy wheels.

The interior will get sports seats, aluminum-rimmed main gauges, unique steering-wheel treatment, and, of course, the F logo showcased on the steering wheel, rear-center console, and outer seat cushions.

The Engine
The 2012 GS will be built on a brand new platform which will be sportier and more efficient. The engine line-up will include a new V6 engine and a 3.5 liter engine that will replace the current 4.6-liter V-8. A hybrid version has also been confirmed.

And if you were expecting to see a V10 engine under the hood of the GS F, well this just won’t happen. Instead, Lexus will use an upgraded version of the 5.0-liter V-8 from the IS-F, developing around 450 HP. It will also get a torque vectoring differential on the rear axle and a weight reduction thanks to the use of carbon-fiber.
Read more: http://www.topspeed.com/cars/lexus/2...#ixzz2aZ9FEzmO
Old 07-30-13, 02:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by madfast
there is no business case. people who can buy 100k sports cars want the prestige of a german car. lexus knows this. there is no need to compete against the M5 when they hardly have a 550i competitor. as much as lexus tried to push the GS450h as that car, being a hybrid, it just isnt the same. the GSF should compete against a well optioned 550i M Sport at about 75k.
not many people buy $100k cars, period. You build $100k cars so you build up your brand cachet so you can sell more of $30k, $40k, $50k, $60k cars.

How many Lexus's or 100k cars did you own in the past? I am not sure why do you think that your opinion is more valid that ones from other members who actually own all these vehicles.
Old 07-30-13, 02:33 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

M5's, AMGs and RS Audi's aren't for profit margins but to make a statement for the company, a halo effect if you will.

The LFA doesn't make a business case in the short term but along-term halo effect? Definitely.

If Toyota sets out to make the GS-F, it will be firstly to make a statement of intent that it is here to play with the big boys. It may not make any short term profits but like you say, it's to SHATTER the perception that it can't muster the engineering and prestige that an M5 can command.

REALITY = Toyota is a far bigger engineering titan than the German 3 by sheer cash reserves and the engineering resources it has at its disposal
PERCEPTION = Toyota is lagging in engineering as perceived by uninformed people like madfast who mistakes caution for inability

If Toyota decides that shattering this wrong perception is worth taking short term losses in developing a M5 beating GS-F and the longterm benefits of that halo effect is worth it, then expect Toyota not to go half-way but all out to make an M5 look silly.

Making a 550i competitor is the worst possible business case : V8s sell in such small quantities as it is. There is no halo or perception-shattering benefit to making a 550i competitor and at the same time little or no profits will materialise anyway.

If Toyota is to make a V8 GS, it is to shatter long held misconceptions firstly and profits be damned. In that case, Toyota will be shooting for the M5's of this world and not 550i. The 550i is too small fish for Toyota.
Old 07-30-13, 02:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Cute, but the GS-F should have the full spindle like the 3IS
Old 07-30-13, 02:56 PM
madfast
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
so you ignored all the evidence posted to disprove your point and then you drifted away from the arguments about you trying to separate the gsf and m5/e63. what else can i say?
all of that is just going off on tangents. here are the absolute main points: toyota was late to the turbo party. dont expect the GSF to have a turbo. it wont compete directly with the M5, not in price nor power.

also, 400hp is already a lot of power on the road already on most cars, most people can't even handle that much power. why not settle for it then? and who is the expert to say that 400hp would be the perfect balance for the gs chassis? i am just trying to look for more justifications on the rumored 460hp as the ideal.
not ideal, just the most realistic. there is a HUGE difference. the 5L V8 is the obvious candidate for the GSF. the rumor is that the RCF will use a tuned version of that engine. its only logical that they will share engines. a twin turbo V8 is not logical at all.

if the f10 and the w212 chassis can somewhat handle 550hp, then with the far superior chassis of the gs, i think it SHOULD at least be able to handle 500hp.
nobody is talking about how much the chassis can handle. the question is how can lexus make 500hp with what's readily available and what's reasonably realistic. if you honestly think they have a V8 TT waiting to be annouced, i dont know what else to tell ya....
Old 07-30-13, 03:16 PM
madfast
Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
not many people buy $100k cars, period.
which is why you should stay away.

You build $100k cars so you build up your brand cachet so you can sell more of $30k, $40k, $50k, $60k cars.
and the GSF is that car? not a new SC or LF-LC? how many halo cars has lexus built?

How many Lexus's or 100k cars did you own in the past? I am not sure why do you think that your opinion is more valid that ones from other members who actually own all these vehicles.
i dont think my opinion is more valid. im just floored that there are people ignorant enough to believe lexus has a 500-600hp twin turbo V8 waiting to be introduced.

M5's, AMGs and RS Audi's aren't for profit margins but to make a statement for the company, a halo effect if you will.

The LFA doesn't make a business case in the short term but along-term halo effect? Definitely.

If Toyota sets out to make the GS-F, it will be firstly to make a statement of intent that it is here to play with the big boys. It may not make any short term profits but like you say, it's to SHATTER the perception that it can't muster the engineering and prestige that an M5 can command.
the LFA does this already (halo car) and the approved for production LF-LC will be the next halo car. the M5/M6 is probably BMW's halo car until they release something better. no need for a halo GSF.

If Toyota decides that shattering this wrong perception is worth taking short term losses in developing a M5 beating GS-F and the longterm benefits of that halo effect is worth it, then expect Toyota not to go half-way but all out to make an M5 look silly.
so we're gonna pretend that the LFA doesnt exist? or that the LF-LC wont exist? and instead put our faith in a 600hp twin turbo GSF? really?

Making a 550i competitor is the worst possible business case : V8s sell in such small quantities as it is. There is no halo or perception-shattering benefit to making a 550i competitor and at the same time little or no profits will materialise anyway.
worse idea than a M5 fighting "halo car" GSF? i think not.

Last edited by madfast; 07-30-13 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-30-13, 03:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if you honestly think they have a V8 TT waiting to be annouced, i dont know what else to tell ya....
more like i don't know where you got the idea that i said they will have a v8 tt, i never even expected that. guess you just like making it up
Old 07-30-13, 03:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
not many people buy $100k cars, period. You build $100k cars so you build up your brand cachet so you can sell more of $30k, $40k, $50k, $60k cars.

very well said
Old 07-30-13, 03:43 PM
madfast
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
more like i don't know where you got the idea that i said they will have a v8 tt, i never even expected that. guess you just like making it up
not you specifically, but others have already said this as if there is a snowballs chance in hell. in fact early on people speculated that the GSF may get some version of the LFA V10. that's when i knew some people were off their rockers...

i would be mind blowingly surprised if the GSF doesnt get the 5L V8, shared with the RCF. i would gladly eat crow if news comes out otherwise but i think im safe this time around.
Old 07-30-13, 04:16 PM
Hoovey689

not you specifically, but others have already said this as if there is a snowballs chance in hell. in fact early on people speculated that the GSF may get some version of the LFA V10. that's when i knew some people were off their rockers...

i would be mind blowingly surprised if the GSF doesnt get the 5L V8, shared with the RCF. i would gladly eat crow if news comes out otherwise but i think im safe this time around.
People only speculated because the media went to the rumormill and pulled that one out of their *****
Old 07-30-13, 04:23 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I heard from a reliable source that the GS-F will come with a Qual Turbo V16 to compete with the Veyron!
Old 07-30-13, 04:26 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by BNR34
I heard from a reliable source that the GS-F will come with a Qual Turbo V16 to compete with the Veyron!
stoke'n the fire much?
Old 07-30-13, 05:49 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
stoke'n the fire much?
Old 07-30-13, 07:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

You do realize that Toyota as a company has far more cash reserves than either BMW, Mercedes and Volkswagen right? If it wanted to, Toyota could probably buy out BMW and Mercedes immediately. And BOTH companies at once.
BMW maybe but I highly doubt Mercedes, (part of Daimler-Benz, also big time investor/partner in Airbus, and other ventures), which is HUGE.

VW would be harder but would be a matter of time only.
now that's pure delusional.

Quick Reply: Lexus GS F sightings (updated pg 20)