Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

June 2013 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-13, 10:05 PM
LexFather

Default June 2013 Sales Thread

Data likely hits Tuesday but early reports should be here tomorrow

Old 06-30-13, 10:19 PM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Early predictions from TrueCar:

Biggest gainers: Ford, Nissan, and Honda
Only one with negative YOY: Hyundia/Kia

But the 2 biggest segments outside of the always wildly heated mid-size segment is the pick-ups and CUVs.

Going to be some great #s come Tuesday.
Old 07-01-13, 04:20 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post In the MeanTime: Related Car News

For 11 straight years, the Toyota Camry has carried the powerful marketing message of being America's best-selling car. But with the competition nipping at the Camry's heels, Toyota officials must contemplate how far they're willing to go to retain the title.

For now, the directive is to do whatever it takes. The Camry is less than 2 years into its model cycle, and already Toyota is piling on incentives and cutting fleet deals to stay ahead in the race.

"We will do what is necessary to get the vehicle into the hands of new and loyal customers," Toyota Division General Manager Bill Fay wrote in an e-mail. "Incentives on Camry will remain as competitive as they need to be."

The Camry is the only 1 of the 4 top-selling mid-sized sedans to receive increased incentive spending this year, although the other 3 were in sell-down mode at this time last year. Except for February, Toyota has dialed up incentive spending per unit on the Camry each month this year, up from $2,300 in January to $2,750 in May, according to TrueCar.

Meanwhile, Toyota's fleet deals are running ahead of the pace set last year, when Toyota made massive "make good" sales to fleet customers who had to wait out 2011's tsunami-related shortages.

That has some Toyota insiders concerned about the impact on the Camry nameplate's long-term value. The Camry's 36-month residual value is near the top of the segment, at 54.4 percent for the 2013 model year, compared with the segment average of 50.9 percent, according to ALG. Only the Honda Accord is higher, at 55.6 percent.

But some Toyota insiders worry that continued incentives and fleet deals could put the Camry's values into a downward spiral. They say sales meetings often revolve around the potential trade-offs of the Camry ceding its lead in order to preserve its residual values. If incentives and fleet sales are already this high, some insiders ask, what will happen in 2 years, when the Camry is closer to the end of its life cycle?
First in sales and spiffs
Incentive spending for the Toyota Camry was higher in May than for the car's top competitors.
Incentive spending
Per unit Chg. vs. 2012
Toyota Camry $2,750 38%
Nissan Altima $2,400 –20%
Ford Fusion $2,300 –35%
Honda Accord $1,400 –40%
Source: TrueCar
A similar debate is playing out broadly across the competitive mid-sized sedan segment, with Toyota's chief competitors taking different paths in search of sales. The Nissan Altima, Ford Fusion and Chevrolet Malibu all generated more than 30 percent of sales from fleets in the 1st 4 months of the year, according to R.L. Polk & Co. data analyzed by Edmunds.com. Honda, meanwhile, has held the line, with fleet sales of the Accord running at 1 percent of the total, according to Polk.

Fay said that most of Toyota's 2013 fleet sales occurred in the 1st quarter, with a sharp drop-off expected until the 4th quarter when the 2014 Camry arrives. For the full year, Camry fleet sales should be no more than 15 percent of total, Fay said.

"While our fleet customers are an important part of our business strategy, we are mainly focused on retail," he said.

The Camry is still solidly the best-selling car in America for the year, with 5 straight months of more than 30,000 sales and nearly 40,000 sales in May. Toyota executives say the sales plan is to sell more than 400,000 total units this year, a muscular production number that the competition may be unable to match.
Fleet fodder
Among the big players in mid-sized cars, Honda is alone in mostly shunning fleet orders through April.
FLEET SALES AS PCT. OF TOTAL FLEET SALES AS PCT. OF TOTAL
Chrysler 200 52% Toyota Camry 20%
Chevrolet Malibu 39% Hyundai Sonata 17%
Ford Fusion 34% Honda Accord 1%
Nissan Altima 33%
Source: R.L. Polk & Co. data analyzed by Edmunds.com

Camry sales were off by more than 10,000 units through May, even when heavy incentives.

But in 2 of the 1st 5 months of the year, the Camry has been outsold by rivals, and its overall lead for the year has narrowed. The Accord, Altima and Fusion -- all redesigned in the past year -- have had sales increases while Camry sales were off by more than 10,000 units through May.

Toyota's heavy use of incentives has drawn its rivals into a spending war. As 2013 has progressed, other automakers have increased their incentives on mid-sized cars, according to TrueCar. For instance, Toyota has 0 percent financing for 60 months on the Camry; the Altima and Hyundai Sonata have identical deals.

Backed by incentives and with fleet sales constituting more than 30 percent of the total, the Altima was the best-selling car in March. But the Accord outsold the Camry and Altima in April.

John Mendel, executive vice president of sales at American Honda, signaled that Honda will forgo stepping up incentives or fleet sales near year end to catch the Camry.

If Accord sales are neck and neck with the Camry in December, Mendel said in an interview, Honda "won't make a customer look silly for buying a car in November vs. buying 1 in December or any other month."

He added: "We're not going to damage the customer's decision or financial investment in the vehicle just to claim a leadership role against a competitor. It just doesn't make any sense. We're not going to do anything it takes."

You can reach Mark Rechtin at mrechtin@crain.com. -- Follow Mark on Twitter
Old 07-01-13, 06:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69
"We will do what is necessary to get the vehicle into the hands of new and loyal customers," Toyota Division General Manager Bill Fay wrote in an e-mail.

John Mendel, executive vice president of sales at American Honda, ... "We're not going to damage the customer's decision or financial investment in the vehicle just to claim a leadership role against a competitor. It just doesn't make any sense. We're not going to do anything it takes."
Talk about different philosophies!
Old 07-01-13, 07:31 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Talk about different philosophies!
He's full of **** b/c Honda incentives were at an all time high last year. You can get damn near the same incentives from everyone across the board. He's the same guy spouting off how Acura is this and that blah blah blah.

One of the reasons the updated civic ain't selling like the pos pre-revised version was incentives. People rather buy a terrible Honda civic with money on the hood than an updated better civic with less money on the hood.

Old 07-01-13, 08:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
He's full of **** b/c Honda incentives were at an all time high last year.
reading the WHOLE quote shows he doesn't want to ramp incentives in december just to win a sales contest, which i don't think makes him full of it.

but of course everyone has incentives.
Old 07-01-13, 08:30 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

ALL of the statements from headquarters and execs come with a certain amount of BS and spin. Just need to keep that in mind when reading things.
Old 07-01-13, 08:33 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
ALL of the statements from headquarters and execs come with a certain amount of BS and spin. Just need to keep that in mind when reading things.
Old 07-01-13, 11:49 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was shopping for my Rav4 over Memorial Day, dealers were offering $5k off Camrys...

For the first time in two generations, Honda delivered an Accord that shook the Camry, and simultaneously, Nissan dropped a 38 mpg Altima and Ford, a very competitive Fusion. I think those three competitors put a lot more effort into their midsizers, whereas Toyota probably put 7/10 into the 7th gen Camry. They also see that a new Sonata is just around the corner and need to sharpen their blades. So, as a result, the Camry is struggling right now and it very well should be.

From what I hear, the Camry is going to ride it out for another model year (2014) and the 2015 model will be a very extensive refresh or possibly an entirely new generation. I know that a 3 year life cycle would seem crazy short, but this is what I am hearing. Still, I would be more apt to expect a heavy refresh. I am hearing that we should expect Avalon-esque styling and similar interior quality. It's also time to consider new engines, but that much is just my own prediction.

I considered the Camry in my own car shopping, but a mixture of factors drew me away from it, with interior quality being near the top of the list. The Accord is really the car to beat here right now, IMO.
Old 07-01-13, 12:03 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
When I was shopping for my Rav4 over Memorial Day, dealers were offering $5k off Camrys...

For the first time in two generations, Honda delivered an Accord that shook the Camry, and simultaneously, Nissan dropped a 38 mpg Altima and Ford, a very competitive Fusion. I think those three competitors put a lot more effort into their midsizers, whereas Toyota probably put 7/10 into the 7th gen Camry. They also see that a new Sonata is just around the corner and need to sharpen their blades. So, as a result, the Camry is struggling right now and it very well should be.

From what I hear, the Camry is going to ride it out for another model year (2014) and the 2015 model will be a very extensive refresh or possibly an entirely new generation. I know that a 3 year life cycle would seem crazy short, but this is what I am hearing. Still, I would be more apt to expect a heavy refresh. I am hearing that we should expect Avalon-esque styling and similar interior quality. It's also time to consider new engines, but that much is just my own prediction.

I considered the Camry in my own car shopping, but a mixture of factors drew me away from it, with interior quality being near the top of the list. The Accord is really the car to beat here right now, IMO.

I hope you're right.
This present design sells but it's awful both in and out and the competition is catching up..
Old 07-01-13, 01:20 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Wow. Well then that explains their ridiculously high sales results for the month of May. I can't see how anyone would pick a Camry over an Accord at this point. But I guess Toyota gave those potential buyers 5,000 reasons.

Agreed. The Altima is nice as well, but I still think they messed up the rear styling. The Accord on the other hand looks just about perfect. The Camry looks like a toy. Would be shocking though if they put out the next generation after only 3 years and would really say a lot about how much they're feeling the stiff competition at this point.
Old 07-01-13, 08:56 PM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Wow the Camry has higher incentives than the Alima and Fusion???

Never would expect that.

It's not like the Camry got bad reviews publicly like the Civic. The competition for the mid-size is too hot.
Old 07-01-13, 09:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

excellent post.

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Wow. Well then that explains their ridiculously high sales results for the month of May. I can't see how anyone would pick a Camry over an Accord at this point. But I guess Toyota gave those potential buyers 5,000 reasons.
haha, excellent too.

every time i see a camry i just think it's so cheap looking. it's like a GM car from the 80s. i've said for a long time toyota (brand) has cars for people who hate cars but have to drive something. at least they have been for the past decade. with the (scion) FRS they're trying to change, and of course lexus has some cool vehicles (IS/GS/LFA) but everytime i think the camry is bad, then i see a prius, and get close to barfing at the sheer audacity of mass producing something so ugly.

but of course, toyota knows their markets and there's definitely a market for ugly or mind-numbingly boring!
Old 07-02-13, 12:25 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Huge camry incentives

Get 0% APR for 60 months PLUS $1,000 Finance Cash on a New 2013 Camry (Excludes Hybrid)

0.0% APR for 36 months, 0.0% APR for 48 months or 0.0% APR for 60 months for Tier 1 Plus and Tier 1 Credit Customers
Plus $1,000 Finance Cash
$500 Loyalty Cash available from 6/4/13 - 7/8/2013 for anyone who has a Toyota/Lexus/Scion in their household. Full details below.
Includes Toyota Care

They're lending you money with no interest, AND paying you $1000 to charge you no interest, plus another $500 for lexus owners. All that on top of 15% discounts.

OK. So who here's gonna get a new beater camry? You know you want that big Corolla.

A few lexus models could use similar incentives.

Last edited by pman6; 07-02-13 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-02-13, 06:39 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Ford

Ford Motor Company’s June U.S. sales increase 13 percent compared with a year ago; best June sales since 2006
Ford Escape and passenger cars continue to propel share gains, particularly on the coasts, with Escape setting its 5th straight record month in June
Ford F-Series sales post best June sales since 2005
All-new Lincoln MKZ posts best-ever June sales and best quarterly sales performance ever

DEARBORN, Mich., July 2, 2013 – Ford Motor Company’s U.S. June sales grew 13 percent compared with a year ago, marking Ford’s best June sales results since 2006. Cars are up 12 percent, utilities are up 8 percent, and trucks are up 20 percent.

“In June, we continued to see strong demand across the entire lineup,” said Ken Czubay, Ford vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service. “We’re particularly encouraged by strong retail share gains, especially in coastal markets, where the combination of great design and fuel economy is resonating with customers – including many buying a Ford for the 1st time.”

Ford small cars – including Fiesta, Focus and C-MAX – totaled 35,851, up 39 percent over last year and marking the best June small car performance in 13 years. Escape posted its best-ever monthly sales, up 1 percent at 28,694 vehicles. Escape set record sales for the 5th straight time this year. The small car performance, combined with strong demand for Escape and Fusion, is driving national share gains, especially in the critical western and southeastern areas of the U.S.

Posting a 23rd consecutive monthly sales increase, F-Series sales are up 24 percent at 68,009 vehicles. This was the best June sales month for F-Series since 2005.

The Lincoln MKZ posted its best-ever June sales, with 3,180 vehicles sold. In addition, the 2nd quarter represented MKZ’s best quarterly sales performance ever and its 1st time to exceed 10,000 cars in a quarter, with 10,682 sold.

Quick Reply: June 2013 Sales Thread