Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Spin: 2013 Shelby GT350

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-13, 12:09 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Quick Spin: 2013 Shelby GT350

2013 Shelby GT350

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-...photo-5914821/

Engine: Supercharged 5.0L V8
Power: 624 HP / 536 LB-FT
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
0-60 Time: 3.7 Seconds (est.)
Top Speed: 190 MPH (est.)
Drivetrain: Rear-Wheel Drive
Curb Weight: 3,950 LBS (est.)
Seating: 2+2
Base Price: $58,540
As-Tested Price: $81,714

Shelby is a name as synonymous with the Ford Mustang as marshmallows are with campfires. But unlike the short-lived sugary confection that is prepared on a stick, the late Carroll Shelby's name on the placard means added performance and exclusivity. Launched in 1965, the automaker's celebrated early cars were in production for a limited run - today, a mint concours-quality 1965 Shelby GT350 can sell for upwards of $350,000.

To coincide with the 45th anniversary of the original Shelby GT350, Shelby American reintroduced the GT350 in 2011. Like the original, it was only offered in white with blue stripes. Customers were offered a choice between naturally aspirated (440 horsepower) and two levels of supercharging (525 horsepower with a warranty or 624 horsepower without). The manufacturer calls the GT350 a "post-title" package, a term that means it starts out life as a stock Mustang and is modified outside Ford's factory (this is in contrast to the Shelby GT500, which is a standard Ford production car).

As the GT350 enters its third year, Shelby has made several changes. Mechanically, Wilwood brakes replace Baer units and Recaro seats and a tinted glass roof are on the options list. Cosmetically, the vehicle is now offered in most of the Blue Oval's factory colors, new multispoke wheels are available in Satin Black or Bright Silver Metallic finish, and customers can choose between Satin Black, Silver or Gloss White stripes (or Azure Blue Metallic on Performance White or Ingot Silver). Aesthetically, the look of the car has also changed somewhat - keen eyes will note that it actually appears more 'stock' than it did last year.

This particular heavily optioned test car started as a 2013 Mustang GT Premium with a six-speed manual gearbox ($35,454 including destination) and Gotta Have it Green paint ($495). The Shelby GT350 Package ($26,995) and a variety of other options followed. These included leather Recaro seats ($1,595), polished Ford Racing Supercharger - boosting power to 624 horsepower ($8,500), Shelby/Wilwood multi-piston brake upgrade ($2,995), Shelby High Performance Cooling Package ($2,995), Billet Watts Link rear suspension ($1,995) and an OEM Shelby GT500 rear spoiler ($599). While a base no-option Shelby GT350 can be had for $58,540, the as-tested price of our green coupe totaled a rather startling $81,714.

Driving Notes
  • I didn't waste any time gawking at the GT350's aggressive front splitter, substantial functional hood scoop or massive wheel and tire package. Instead, I jumped into the comfortable Recaro seats, inserted the key and cranked over the 624-horsepower engine. A heartbeat later, the 5.0-liter V8 spun to life with a throaty roar out its twin Borla exhaust pipes. The engine idled with an excitement the standard GT could never match match, and once underway, a stab on the accelerator quickly extinguished all doubts - this Shelby is bloody quick. Under the right conditions (limiting wheelspin is the greatest obstacle), this green beast will effortlessly crack the 60 mph benchmark in under four seconds. Few public roads can tolerate its top speed.
  • The short-throw shifter proved heavy and mechanical in action, taking a bit of practice to master, but it never felt clunky or not up to the task. Once in gear, throttle response (listen for the telltale supercharger whine) was quick. First gear felt too short for my tastes, and I consistently had traction issues. Third gear was the sweet spot, with the Shelby offering enough torque to pull from just about anywhere on its tachometer.
  • Few would call any Mustang small and nimble, but the GT350 breaks the stereotype. Once familiar with the coupe's corners (rearward visibility being the most limited), I was able to push the Shelby surprisingly hard in the California's legendary canyons. Hunkered down on its tuned suspension with four sticky contact patches, the Shelby had me relishing each and every corner. Turn-in was good, mid-corner feel was stable and the brakes were always up to the task. This two-door still felt big from behind the wheel, but each of its physical reactions to control inputs told another story - one of sharpness and agility.
  • If forced to list good and bad attributes, I'd lodge complaints against the mostly stock Mustang interior (when the price climbs this high, it's hard not to expect more) and tacked-on A-pillar gauges, which felt cheap. Yet I would applaud the engine's power, exhaust note, suspension tuning and handling.
  • The more I thought about it, the clearer it became that the 2013 Shelby GT350 is probably the best Ford Mustang I have ever driven. And, even with a price that more than doubles its donor's cost, history's fondness for Shelby models may someday prove that this car is a worthwhile investment, too. I'll take mine in Ruby Red.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/31/2...k-spin-review/
Old 06-01-13, 09:35 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

again (see Dinan 550i versus M5), why would you ever get this over the GT500?? Base price of the GT500 is $54,995
Old 06-01-13, 04:23 PM
Hoovey689

Agreed, GT500 looks more aggressive anyways
Old 06-02-13, 01:30 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
again (see Dinan 550i versus M5), why would you ever get this over the GT500?? Base price of the GT500 is $54,995
This . . .

For $83,000 you can have a Z06 Vette, convertible or hardtop, same motor, your choice. Personally I'd go for no stripes, all black, or white with red leather.

As a matter of taste, I've always thought special editions like this shelby or the "factory" GT500 look a bit garish, what with the huge wheels, stripes, and all the extra scoops. Call me crazy, but I'd much rather have a Mustang with that GT500 engine in a v6 body, with just a nice 18" staggered 18" wheel option.
Old 06-02-13, 09:45 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
This . . .

For $83,000 you can have a Z06 Vette, convertible or hardtop, same motor, your choice. Personally I'd go for no stripes, all black, or white with red leather.

As a matter of taste, I've always thought special editions like this shelby or the "factory" GT500 look a bit garish, what with the huge wheels, stripes, and all the extra scoops. Call me crazy, but I'd much rather have a Mustang with that GT500 engine in a v6 body, with just a nice 18" staggered 18" wheel option.
oh def would rather have any C6 or C7 over any Mustang.
Old 07-26-13, 05:12 PM
Hoovey689

Default Production of Shelby GT350 is coming to an end

Production of Shelby GT350 is coming to an end

One Autoblog staffer who drove the limited-edition Shelby GT350 wrote it probably was the best Mustang he'd driven, but, at some point, the fun had to come to an end: December 31 is the last day the GT350 will be available to order.

The GT350's option list has evolved much like it did for the original 1965-67 GT350. For 2011, the 45th Anniversary edition only came in coupe form and was painted white with blue stripes, just as with the 1965 car. The 2012 GT350 was offered as a coupe or convertible, and three colors were added to the option list, just like the 1966 model. For 2013, more colors and options were added in addition to equipment and styling updates, which resulted in Wilwood instead of Baer brakes. No major changes were made for the 2014 model. From the first car in 2011, customers have been able to choose between three different configurations for their 5.0-liter V8: naturally aspirated with 440 horsepower, supercharged with 525 hp (with warranty) or supercharged with 624 hp (without warranty).

"When we unveiled this latest version of the Shelby GT350, we promised it would be built for a limited time to preserve its collectability and value," states John Luft, president of Shelby American. He may have a point, because the original GT350, which also had a limited production run, is among the most valuable muscle cars in the world.

While the end of 2013 will mark the conclusion of a great modern-day muscle car, Shelby American wants us to remember one of the late Carroll Shelby's favorite sayings: "Our favorite car is the next one we build." That and the other vehicles in the company's lineup, such as the GT500 Super Snake and Raptor, will continue to be offered for sale.

SHELBY AMERICAN ANNOUNCES THAT IT WILL END LIMITED RUN OF ITS SHELBY GT350

LAS VEGAS – July 24, 2013 – Shelby American, a wholly owned subsidiary of Carroll Shelby International Inc. (CSBI:PK), has announced that 2013 will be the last year of availability for its limited-run series of Shelby GT350 muscle cars. Shelby American will take new orders for the Shelby GT350 through December 31, 2013. Production of all other Shelby performance cars will continue.

"The Shelby GT350 is one of the world's most celebrated, iconic muscle cars," said John Luft, president of Shelby American. "When we unveiled this latest version of the Shelby GT350, we promised it would be built for a limited time to preserve its collectability and value. So we've been preparing for this day since 2010. In true Carroll Shelby fashion, we're planning our next ultimate performance Shelby model."

Shelby American's approach has always been to first make history and then repeat it. In the 1960's, Shelby American built the GT350 in small numbers for the 1965, 1966 and 1967 model years, making those cars among the most desirable, collectible vehicles on the planet.

The first (2011) model year 45th Anniversary Shelby GT350's were all coupes clad in Competition white with Guardsmen blue stripes, just as Shelby American did with the initial car in 1965. In 2012, three more colors (red, blue and anniversary black/gold celebrating 50 years of Shelby American), as well as a convertible option were offered, similar to the options offered by Shelby American in 1966. For the 2013 model year, Shelby American again followed tradition with expanded color options, equipment choices and styling changes, while the performance improvements remained intact.

"The Shelby GT350's rich history is well-documented," said Shelby American Vice President of Production Gary Davis. "People value that heritage and tell us that they want this car to equal that exclusivity. We're staying true to our commitment to deliver a small block car with high performance, unique styling and collectability in a way that honors our heritage."

The concept behind the current GT350 was to build a car that is light, nimble and powerful. Beginning with the "small block" 5.0 liter Ford Mustang GT as its base, every aspect of the car is enhanced or replaced to create the ultimate, balanced performance pony car that is true to the spirit of the 1960's era Shelby GT350.

"We've taken another page out of the 'Carroll Shelby playbook'," said Luft. "In the ever evolving automotive market, we continue to adapt to meet customer needs. While we'll look back on the current GT350 with great love and devotion, as Carroll always said, 'our favorite car is the next one we build'."

Orders are now being taken for all 2012 - 2014 model year Shelby American GT350's through the end of 2013; As of January 1, 2014, this chapter of Shelby American history will close. Production will continue on all existing models, including the Shelby GTS, GT500 Super Snake and Shelby 1000, Shelby Raptor muscle truck and hot hatch Shelby Focus ST.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/26/s...oduction-2013/