Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes debuts 577hp S63 AMG 4Matic

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-13, 05:47 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Mercedes debuts 577hp S63 AMG 4Matic

Its lighter, more powerful and ridiculously luxurious. Mercedes officially unveiled its 2014 S63 AMG 4Matic today ahead of its in-person debut during the Frankfurt Motor Show in September.

There won’t be any mistaking the 2014 S63 AMG when it reaches showrooms, even with its handsome new sheet metal. And while the brand’s biggest and newest performance sedan wears the same handsome styling as its relatively mundane siblings, the engineers behind Mercedes’ AMG arm have been hard at work proving the considerable prowess they hold in building athletic luxury products.

After all, the most recent products from their training camp have been the A45 and CLA45 AMG models. Time for something a little more grown up, no?

“Following the successful launch of the A45 AMG and the CLA45 AMG, the new S63 AMG 4MATIC highlights our expertise in the automotive high-end segment,” AMG CEO Ola Kallenius said.

Starting skin deep, a series of changes improve the car over its predecessor. Body panels are crafted from aluminum, the brakes are lighter and buyers can choose optional carbon ceramic units. Carbon fiber is molded to cradle the spare tire and even the front end is made of aluminum. Mercedes even saves weight by using a lithium ion battery and in total cuts 220 lbs from the car. There’s more.

A newly massaged version of the brand’s 5.5-liter biturbo V8 rests under the hood and makes 577 hp and 664 lb-ft of torque. That power is sent through AMG’s multi-clutch seven-speed transmission to the brand’s 4Matic all-wheel drive system for the first time in an S63. Collectively, that launches the car from 0-60 mph in 3.9 seconds with 33 percent of the engine’s torque sent to the front and 67 percent to the rear. Top speed is electronically limited to 186 mph.

Mercedes says the car is also more efficient than last year’s model, although official fuel consumption figures haven’t been released.

An updated air suspension that can adapt more readily also promises a more comfortable ride while maintaining performance. Mercedes gave the new S63 AMG higher camber, a larger anti-roll bar and a stiffer subframe carrier on the rear axle, all of which are unique to the car.

As an AMG model, the cabin gets specific changes as well. Those include a sport steering wheel and seats. Those buckets have been newly designed and Mercedes says they will offer improved support over the previous car. Finally, the cabin gets other touches like an embossed AMG logo on the leather arm rest above the center console.

Mercedes will unveil the car in person early this September during the Frankfurt Motor Show. The company didn’t announce pricing yet, but the outgoing S63 AMG starts at $140,000. Expect that number to climb considerably with the added all-wheel drive and improved materials.

Old 07-17-13, 07:01 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an AMG model, the cabin gets specific changes as well. Those include a sport steering wheel and seats
hmm...the interior looks amazing but it still have that same ugly smiley face steering wheel.
Old 07-17-13, 07:01 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

0-60 in 3.9 seconds?

This "car" is beyond stunning.

We are entering a realm now were vehicles like this can't really be called "cars" anymore...starship is more like it.
Old 07-17-13, 07:40 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
0-60 in 3.9 seconds?

This "car" is beyond stunning.

We are entering a realm now were vehicles like this can't really be called "cars" anymore...starship is more like it.

Yeah, it won't be long before a a 0-60 time in 4 seconds will be rather pedestrian for these high-end performance vehicles. Soon to throughly club the competition, you'll need 0-60 times in 3 seconds flat or less. It's literally getting crazy....in a good way.

Honestly, 30 years ago, I never thought regular production cars would approach motorcycle acceleration times, but they have..... Wow!
Old 07-17-13, 10:26 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I never cared much about the S65 AMG just because I liked the S63 AMG more. My feelings still stand
Old 07-17-13, 10:36 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn that looks nice.

Unfortunately, that silly looking steering wheel is still there =(

Other than that, it looks amazing

I can't wait for the S65 AMG WITH V12 BITURBO (more than 620 HORSEPOWER and NO LESS THAN 1000 NEWTON METERS OF MAX TORQUE)

Old 07-17-13, 10:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

holy molly this thing looks so awesome. stupid power and stupid speed!
Old 07-17-13, 12:47 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

air suspension..............anti-roll bar? Huh, what?

The only explaination I can think of is outside of the U.S., ABC is optional? Can someone confirm that?

ABC is standard on all AMG S-Class in the U.S.................so no air or sway bar.
Old 07-17-13, 12:54 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it true that all AMG'S are going to AWD? If the S63 is that much of a beast I dont even want to know the specs on the 65. Gonna seriously consider the 550 when it comes to the US.
Old 07-17-13, 12:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
air suspension..............anti-roll bar? Huh, what?

The only explaination I can think of is outside of the U.S., ABC is optional? Can someone confirm that?

ABC is standard on all AMG S-Class in the U.S.................so no air or sway bar.
or maybe they figure abc is too expensive and go back to old school
Old 07-17-13, 01:39 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

too slow, needs more hp...said no one.

Still not sold on the square exhaust tips, but the rest of the car is beautiful to look at.
Old 07-17-13, 02:45 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
or maybe they figure abc is too expensive and go back to old school
No way, they aren't going back to airmatic.

Airmatic aren't that much cheaper anyway, no pump and lines I guess.

I think that article is just wrong about that, or that paragraph was copy from an article that are talking about the non-AMG models.
Old 07-17-13, 05:24 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

boo hoo, no 3 spoke steering wheel.

But has proper amg exhaust sound which is great

Last edited by RXSF; 07-17-13 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-17-13, 07:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Mercedes-Benz TV: The new S 63 AMG - Trailer - YouTube

boo hoo, no 3 spoke steering wheel.

But has proper amy exhaust sound which is great
Great trailer. I've really come to admire MBZ lately
Old 07-18-13, 06:57 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hazelmrzv
Still not sold on the square exhaust tips
you can be catch-up on minor things (square tips)... but the car is a beast! There is no such thing as perfect car

Quick Reply: Mercedes debuts 577hp S63 AMG 4Matic