Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MT's "The big test" of IS350/335i/S4/S60/ATS

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-13, 07:03 PM
LexFather

Thumbs down MT AWD Luxury Sport Sedan Test (Spoilers)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s/viewall.html

As I've gotten older these things don't seem to bug me anymore but I have to say I find it utterly hilarious the BMW is seen as the least sporty car in a sport sedan comparo and wins. The ATS is sportiest and is 4th.

IS fares well at 3rd, they just didn't seem to like the styling more than anything.

All these years and internet drama was about how the winner was the sportiest, oh soul, that "something" and how sport sport sport meant more than price, features, quality etc Now it seems since BMW is not the sportiest suddenly these other factors are important.

Amazing

If the Caddy is sportiest and is pretty good outside of CUE why is it not winning? This has to be FRUSTRATING to Caddy.

Old 07-15-13, 07:43 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

The main thing thats messed up in this comparo was that the BMW had an optional M Perf Package (MPPK) and BigBrake kit. MT mentions none of this in the article.

Out of those cars i feel the F30 is the better choice overall and the one I would get.

I do want to see a IS350RWD Fsport vs 335i RWD Msport comparo.
Old 07-15-13, 07:48 PM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MT's "The big test" of IS350/335i/S4/S60/ATS

Sorry if this is a repost, but I couldn't find it on here. This just came out:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s/viewall.html

Most are AWDs. ATS4 needed summer tires. Thoughts?
Old 07-15-13, 07:53 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
[

All these years and internet drama was about how the winner was the sportiest, oh soul, that "something" and how sport sport sport meant more than price, features, quality etc Now it seems since BMW is not the sportiest suddenly these other factors are important.

Amazing

If the Caddy is sportiest and is pretty good outside of CUE why is it not winning? This has to be FRUSTRATING to Caddy.
The opening paragraph does state that Performance/Handling is not what this test is about:

]"Normally, all we'd care about is which one of our five candidates will set your hair on fire the fastest as you whip down a canyon road. However, there are a couple of things working against that particular methodology this month................This is our new Big Test, where adult-themed issues such as safety, value, and fuel efficiency are given much more than short shrift. If all you care about is how well the cars drive, read the Ride and Handling section, and you're done."
Old 07-15-13, 08:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The opening paragraph does state that Performance/Handling is not what this test is about:
]"Normally, all we'd care about is which one of our five candidates will set your hair on fire the fastest as you whip down a canyon road. However, there are a couple of things working against that particular methodology this month................This is our new Big Test, where adult-themed issues such as safety, value, and fuel efficiency are given much more than short shrift. If all you care about is how well the cars drive, read the Ride and Handling section, and you're done."
The 3.5 is fine for this segment. It looks like it did OK. Where they need to really fix the IS is the 2.5 and the the front end is kinda ugly.
Old 07-15-13, 08:33 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

so they get an S4, a 3 series with performance packages, but get a regular iS350 AWD?
Old 07-15-13, 08:43 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorTrend
We'd love to see an F Sport with AWD, but Lexus doesn't build it.
Huh? Lexus does build the IS350 AWD with F-Sport. Not sure if MT screwed up by not requesting for such a model or if Lexus screwed up by sending to MT a regular IS350 AWD though.
Old 07-15-13, 10:02 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The audi looks so bland

Despite how bone-deep ugly it is on the outside, the little Lexus surprised us all

Last edited by pman6; 07-15-13 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-15-13, 11:53 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Why the hell would they test AWD versions? Who in their right mind would want IS350 AWD or 335 x-drive?
Old 07-16-13, 12:51 AM
McMuffin
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Are you retarded? Plenty of people in the north east buy AWD 350s and 335is. Especially since the IS250 is dog sh.it slow even without the AWD.
Old 07-16-13, 01:09 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks are subjective. That Audi looks almost exactly like the VW Jetta or Passat, but they say the IS is ugly? Right, thats why I don't subscribe to these goofy magazines and others are following suit.
Old 07-16-13, 02:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by McMuffin
^ Are you retarded? Plenty of people in the north east buy AWD 350s and 335is. Especially since the IS250 is dog sh.it slow even without the AWD.
well, this test was done in Cali where there is no F-Sport AWD...

In any case, why would he be retarded for expressing his opinion? What kind of language is that?
Old 07-16-13, 04:42 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Reading the comparo carefully, the 3 series had the worst chassis and handling outside of the Volvo and was only saved by it's
1) pretty looks
2) big back seat
3) great interior --arguable, I sat in the 3 series Sport and the interior quality and ergonomics was horrible
4) great engine
5) poor suspension and chassis was given a pass

I'm OK, I can live with this result since the IS' looks ( something MT held against it) is absolutely beautiful to me and I value handling, steering feel and chassis responsiveness over muscle-car straightline speed anyday.

If I had to choose in this segment, I would choose the IS. But right now, I'm holding out for the Lexus RC-F/GS-F.

Sad day for car enthusiasts when the past handling/driving champ the 3 series wins by virtue of being the fastest and prettiest furniture while having the worst handling dynamics.

BMW has truly become the latterday 1990's AMG : good only in a straightline....aka "FAST FURNITURE"

Last edited by natnut; 07-16-13 at 04:49 AM.
Old 07-16-13, 05:09 AM
LexFather

Talking

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The main thing thats messed up in this comparo was that the BMW had an optional M Perf Package (MPPK) and BigBrake kit. MT mentions none of this in the article.

Out of those cars i feel the F30 is the better choice overall and the one I would get.

I do want to see a IS350RWD Fsport vs 335i RWD Msport comparo.
That makes things worse. So the 62 grand BMW had all the performance options and was considered last or in front the Volvo in handling. Wow.

It's their choice and clearly the batch here are all fine cars. It's just amusing how they have moved the line to their choosing now that BMW is no longer sportiest. Now all those factors that had much less weight in the past are suddenly important. Hilarious.

No denying how good the 3 is overall. Just funny when the line is moved.

Old 07-16-13, 05:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

obviously bmw has 'moved the cheese' but i think they're responding to market demographics. with an aging euro and u.s. population and younger people having less disposable income, i think bmw has changed their line to be less hard edged in response.

so cadillac may end up being liked by a mag but being 'too late' in the marketplace.

the lexus is gets praise for interior and handling, but not surprisingly it's dinged for transmission and being slow (relatively), and it's always seemed to me the AWD on all lexus is pretty much an afterthought. the s4 and 335i are crazy underrated and FAST!

Quick Reply: MT's "The big test" of IS350/335i/S4/S60/ATS