Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is it just me or is there NOTHING exciting happening at Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-13, 09:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Sorry, but the LFA does nothing for me.

Old 07-10-13, 09:44 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Toyota usually spreads the cost out over the lifetime of the model, introducing new engines and new sheet metal at different points.

Do I like this approach? No. Give me everything new at the same time, and give it to the media too. However, this is how Toyota and Lexus tend to do things.
It's not only Toyota/Lexus that does this. BMW and Mercedes are also on this pattern, as well as VW/Audi lately. Helps with product lifecycle management.
Old 07-10-13, 10:56 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Styling wise id agree it does nothing really for me. But....

Gotta love that sound! =D
Old 07-10-13, 11:15 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Lexus is just trying to survive and sell cars. Their bean counters won't let them spend like AMG and M division.

If you want exciting, you'll need to look to the germans and british.

They have all the S, -R, -RS, AMG, M high power exciting stuff.
Old 07-11-13, 03:14 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
I've owned 5 Lexus vehicles - including my current 2012 LS460L and 2013 RX350. I'm not a hater. I'm not a "fanboy" of another brand (or any brand for that matter). I just don't see anything interesting on the horizon coming from this brand. I'll be looking for two new vehicles next year. Is there anything to look forward to? Am I missing something/uninformed? Help me out here...
I feel the same way. I like the ISF and even the FR-S but I'm not a fan of the F-sport especially if it's carrying over the same power plant. Hopefully Lexus decides to make a new ISF or GSF in the next few years or I might have to look elsewhere for a more thrilling ride.
Old 07-11-13, 04:33 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
whats wrong with GS 450h?
Err.........there is nothing exciting about a hybrid vehicle

In fact, most other people would pick a GS350 F-sport over a GS450h F-sport. Nothing beats the sound and excitement that an internal combustion engine provides at start-up.

Personally, I'm in that camp as well.

Anyways, what Lexus need to do is pump more adrenaline by releasing a GS-F with at least 500 HP

V8 ENGINES (AND ABOVE) FTW!!!
Old 07-11-13, 07:30 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So, this whole thread is based on personal subjectiveness.

If you find nothing exciting, then you're right.

If you like what you see, then you're right.

Old 07-11-13, 07:41 AM
LexFather

While I don't agree with the thread title here (Sal you trying to stir the natives )I think I've been pretty vocal with Hoovey and some other stout Lexus owners that Lexus does need to step it up. Things continue to move slowly compared to the Germans and even with the very good F-sport line, its not an F lineup let alone something like Black Series or RS......

Like this

Its not for everyone, its aggressive, it has 650hp and would cost maybe 150k maybe even higher. Well just parked it would give people the and thats what Lexus needs. They are really going to have to let what drove them with the LFA drive some more INSANITY. F-sport is nice but alone won't do it. One or two F models won't do it especially with the Europeans making new M/AMG/RS etc cars seemingly every week.

Lexus has a long way to go to shed that conservative image. They have had blips here and there (GS 400, IS 300, IS F, LFA) but need it consistently.

So yes I do feel Sal has a point but its not as bleak as the title paints it.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I agree with the OP but I feel that slowly Lexus is turning the ship the right way and that started withe the 4GS last year.

Lexus owned the mainstream Luxury industry from early 90s to about 2005/2006.
They offered cars that were incredible and in many ways superior to the competition.
1st gen LS, 1st gen SC, 2nd gen GS, 1st gen RX all were innovative vehicles with top of the line powertrains that were sold at an inredible price compared to the Germans.

Even the 2nd gen SC was great in many ways with great build quality, unique design, and hardtop Conv technology.

(Small things like the optitron gauges I had in my GS back in 2002 stick look way cool today.)

The new models introduced starting in 2006 up until the 4GS were of lesser quality and no longer competed with the Germans in lots of ways with lesser hp #s and tech.

I'm not quite sure what happened in the mid 2000s but for whatever reason Lexus didn't spend enough on R&D.
- No new models - save for the CT and HS.
(BMW, MB Audi flooded every niche and performance realm with a unique model)
- No new V8 powertrains
- Blah interiors
- SC discontinued (this was once a core model)

My opinion was Lexus bet heavily on Hybrid powertrains and felt that they would own the Luxury market with that feature. But while it was great success for Prius, hybrids never struck a chord with the Luxury buyer.

I think once the new powertrains hit, hopefully Lexus will comeback strong.
Uhhh, Lexus debuted 3 new V-8s in the 2000s
5.7 V-8
5.0 V-8
4.6 V-8

Lexus has been at the forefront of new tech. Look who copied their hybrid tech, the most advanced cars around.

I can again agree Lexus lineup is clearly not as exciting as the Germans but holy misinformation mixed with opinions being presented as facts.

Well then if the LFA does nothing for you possibly you are a spambot

Originally Posted by pman6
Lexus is just trying to survive and sell cars. Their bean counters won't let them spend like AMG and M division.

If you want exciting, you'll need to look to the germans and british.

They have all the S, -R, -RS, AMG, M high power exciting stuff.
Except this is wrong. The LFA didn't make a dime it was a money losing effort to showcase the best of the brand. Considering the extremely high remarks it continues to get, it worked.

I don't understand humping other brands with even less exciting lineups then crapping on Lexus.

Completely agree that the Germans have a much more exciting lineup, its not even close.

Originally Posted by Blackraven

:
Porsche, Ferrari, etc etc disagree

Old 07-11-13, 07:43 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I kind of agree.
It's very nice but I'd go Lambo, Ferrari or Porsche.
Old 07-11-13, 08:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

about the lfa... if 'sea level' is utterly boring (ES ), then the lfa is in outer space (exciting), but lexus just doesn't have enough in between where mortals can exist and buy. the lfa is an awesome engineering feat, a beautiful car (imo), and an incredible study in form and function together. it is breathtakingly fast, handles incredibly, and brakes like a race car.

but i've always said "what's the point?" if the rest of the line doesn't even hint at much excitement. now having said that, lexus does now have f-sport on IS, GS, CTh, RX, and LS, so they're making progress. and while f-sport doesn't provide much if any added performance (a bit of handling, but mostly cosmetic), it's not fair to criticize that alone as it's pretty similar to bmw's m-sport. and the new f-sport LS is a GREAT addition to the line up. the CTh f-sport, not so much.

but the real problem is there's no actual current performance models now (lfa production run done, and out-dated 2is gen is-f avail. for now and no sign or word of a 3is version yet). this hurts lexus' credibility.
Old 07-11-13, 08:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven

In fact, most other people would pick a GS350 F-sport over a GS450h F-sport. Nothing beats the sound and excitement that an internal combustion engine provides at start-up.

Personally, I'm in that camp as well.

Anyways, what Lexus need to do is pump more adrenaline by releasing a GS-F with at least 500 HP

V8 ENGINES (AND ABOVE) FTW!!!
to whom? I find hybrid such as GS 450h a lot more exciting than some V8... it is brand new technology that is interesting all the time when you drive it. It is very cool and only thing cooler is something like Tesla.

When it comes to V8's, I understand if you were in Europe - I often drive 100-110mph on the highway with short bursts over 120-130mph.

But in US, all people do is accelerate from 30 to 70... perfect for a hybrid.
Old 07-11-13, 09:15 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint

Uhhh, Lexus debuted 3 new V-8s in the 2000s
5.7 V-8
5.0 V-8
4.6 V-8

Lexus has been at the forefront of new tech. Look who copied their hybrid tech, the most advanced cars around.

I can again agree Lexus lineup is clearly not as exciting as the Germans but holy misinformation mixed with opinions being presented as facts.
Lets review these V8s.

5.7 v8 - developed for Toyota trucks not exclusive to Lexus, minimal investment.

4.6 v8 - New in 2006 with direct injection. Still has not been updated and its 2014 model year.

5.0 v8 - This is an updated 4.6 v8 developed with Yamaha, providing significant improvements. Again minimal investment by Lexus.

Lexus can't even take credit for the IS-f as it was a secret project and never authorized until it was built by a group of engineers.

Do u want me to list the amount of v8, v12, and other various high performance engines introduced by BMW and MB since 2005.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 07-11-13 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-11-13, 09:19 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overall Lexus is a good brand but I agree nothing exciting for the young buyer IMO. For a family vehicle that the wife can drive. Or if someone just wants a plain reliable sleek looking car than Lexus is the way to go. Cant go wrong with purchasing a Lexus. When someone approaches me and asks for my suggestion on a car to purchase I immediately say Lexus. For me personally ISF was kind of tame. Lexus is a conservative company and it shows. Recently they been making them look a little more aggressive, but it just stops at the looks.

I jumped ship and bought a new M3 sedan 2 years ago. Been very happy with it. No reliability problems like every hard core Japanese fan boy talks about (I was one of them). Recently sold the M3 and will most likely be buying the new M4/m3 via European Delivery again.

For me its:

Daily driver (Monday - Friday) = Lexus
Weekend Fun Toy = BMW M3

Last edited by gsrthomas; 07-11-13 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-11-13, 09:37 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Lets review these V8s.

5.7 v8 - developed for Toyota trucks not exclusive to Lexus, minimal investment.

4.6 v8 - New in 2006 with direct injection. Still has not been updated and its 2014 model year.

5.0 v8 - This is an updated 4.6 v8 developed with Yamaha, providing significant improvements. Again minimal investment by Lexus.

Lexus can't even take credit for the IS-f as it was a secret project and never authorized until it was built by a group of engineers.

Do u want me to list the amount of v8, v12, and other various high performance engines introduced by BMW and MB since 2005.
Thank you for posting about the new V-8s when you said Lexus produced no new V-8s. I simply corrected the misinformation.

Then there are desperate attempts to not give Lexus credit to the outrageous Lexus can't take credit for the IS F which is utterly RIDICULOUS. The car is a Lexus, produced by Lexus, by skunkworks team. I don't care if the 4.6 is 8 years old today, YOU SAID, there were no new V-8s in the 2000s which is wrong.

Finally you try to bring up what we are all aware and what NO ONE is debating. The Germans have tons more interesting and high power cars. Every single person including myself has said that. Why are you acting like we didn't?

We are actually on the same page in regards to excitement. I started a thread a year ago stating how boring the Asian brands were to the Germans. That said you are spreading misinformation which needed to be corrected.

Old 07-11-13, 10:15 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Thank you for posting about the new V-8s when you said Lexus produced no new V-8s. I simply corrected the misinformation.

Then there are desperate attempts to not give Lexus credit to the outrageous Lexus can't take credit for the IS F which is utterly RIDICULOUS. The car is a Lexus, produced by Lexus, by skunkworks team. I don't care if the 4.6 is 8 years old today, YOU SAID, there were no new V-8s in the 2000s which is wrong.

Finally you try to bring up what we are all aware and what NO ONE is debating. The Germans have tons more interesting and high power cars. Every single person including myself has said that. Why are you acting like we didn't?

We are actually on the same page in regards to excitement. I started a thread a year ago stating how boring the Asian brands were to the Germans. That said you are spreading misinformation which needed to be corrected.
Again my theory is Toyota/Lexus put a lot of the R&D money into Hybrid powertrains, unfortunately for Lexus they never clicked with the luxury buyer.

Lexus is on the right track with the new GS AND IS, just need updated engines.

In regards to the ISf - what i mean was it was not planned but just happened out of nowhere. I give Lexus credit for cultivating it and updating it.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 07-11-13 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Is it just me or is there NOTHING exciting happening at Lexus?