Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Any of You Guys Ever Own a 2nd Gen MR2

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-13, 11:43 AM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any of You Guys Ever Own a 2nd Gen MR2

I'm debating whether I want to get a 98-00 SC400 or if I want to try out a 2nd gen MR2 turbo.

I know the two cars are drastically different and not really comparable, but my question is, having owned an SC400, would i be disappointed with the MR2 and regret buying it instead of a 98-00 SC400?
Im not going to do any mods to whichever car I get aside from wheel & tires and exhaust, so things like, one car is easier to mod than the other, don't really matter to me.
Old 07-09-13, 11:52 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you thought the 400 was a lot of work, wait till you try working on an MR2 lol.
Old 07-09-13, 11:59 AM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tabaka
If you thought the 400 was a lot of work, wait till you try working on an MR2 lol.
I have noticed that the majority of mr2's for sale have had their engines rebuilt or replaced, thats not including that na's that have had 3sgte swaps. Do they tend to have reliability problems or is because most people just drive them really hard?
Old 07-09-13, 01:20 PM
9600baud
Driver School Candidate

91-94 MR2 Turbos were prone to head gasket failure so most people just swapped them for the JDM motors which are more plentiful.

As far as to which car to own, MR2 is hands down much more fun, but seriously impossible to use as your only car. Unless you dont plan on having to carry things or people ever.
Old 07-09-13, 02:09 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do it! I would especially for a turbo ive seen people trade or sell their MR2s and regret it later down the road.
The 5sfe NA or the 3sgte Turbo are very reliable You usually see people rebuild the turbo engine because they really drive them hard.

I would trade my SC for a clean MR2 finding a owner to do that out here is very rare. Aint complaining tho I love my SC

Last edited by Joey-E; 07-09-13 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-09-13, 02:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

My friend had a 91 MR2 NA. Then put the stock turbo set-up in it. Fun car, loud though
Old 07-09-13, 03:02 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 9600baud
91-94 MR2 Turbos were prone to head gasket failure so most people just swapped them for the JDM motors which are more plentiful.

As far as to which car to own, MR2 is hands down much more fun, but seriously impossible to use as your only car. Unless you dont plan on having to carry things or people ever.
If you're young and don't have a family, I'd say its plenty practical. You can get a set of golf clubs in the rear trunk, plus it has a front trunk.

Finding a nice one that wasn't beat on is the tricky bit. Personally I'd go for the N/A model, less maintence, less things to break, probably not driven as hard. These things are a ****** to work on with the engine being in the middle, lot harder than the SC with its huge by comparision engine bay.
Old 07-09-13, 05:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I never actually owned one, but a close friend of mine bought a brand-new red 1994 MR2 Turbo with the black leather seats and kept it several years. I drove it a number of times and sometimes helped him clean and take care of it. It had dynamite, Ferrari-like looks, and excellent workmanship inside and out. It was a blast to drive on a winding road with sharp curves, but, because of the mid-engine location and the center of gravity behind the driver, the lack of weight (and stability) over the front wheels meant that it didn't track particularly straight on long Interstare highways, tended to lane-wander, and you had to constantly make small steering corrections to keep it centered in its lane. The very low stance also made it rather difficult for taller or larger-size people to get in and out....especially since, by then, I was no longer in my youth. It also rode too stiff and choppy for my tastes.

There are some comments in this thread about engine unreliability. My friend never experienced failure or any real engine problems in the time he owned it, but, perhaps because of the engine's more or less hidden location, cut off from a lot of cooling-air, and from the way the vents/radiator/slats were designed, it DID tend to run rather hot. The turbo, of course, added even more heat. I've noticed that hot-running tendency on some other mid-engined cars, BTW....it was so bad on some Pontiac Fieros that they were recalled for engine-fires.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-09-13 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-09-13, 05:49 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I absolutely loved the 2nd gen MR2 when it came out. Was totally in love with it.

But several years ago my Evo 8 tuner's wife was in an accident in a 3rd gen MR2 and to say that the car had zero protection is an understatement. She got really f'd up and will never be the same. Since talking to her (maybe a year after the accident) she made me no longer like the car.

So irregardless of engine or mechanical issues, if a 3rd gen can fall apart like a piece of paper I'm not sure if a 2nd gen would be any better (although it certainly seems to have "more car").

So I'd go Lexus over an MR2...based on a limping woman who's life will never be the same for being in only a 25-30mph crash.
Old 07-09-13, 06:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

One of my staff has a tuned one and he loves it. Great little car and its die hard. He beats the crap out of it and it just keeps on running. He has an NA motor so its not a fully tuned car but he loves it, its reliable, it makes a great noise when he gets on it, and best of all, it puts a smile on his face
Old 07-09-13, 10:20 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

used to have a 91 turbo and na, awesome car, still kick myself for selling. Miss it everyday. I would look for one that was converted to 3rd Gen Japan Spec (240+ hp stock) lots of cool things like a MAF instead of air flapper like the US engines etc.

You won't be disappointed, however the paint on the solid colors is crap before Toyota used clear coat so find one already been repainted or repaint it youself, cool project car since they are inexpensive.

Somethings break but once you replace them the parts last another 100,000 miles, unlike my current Audi TT GRRR

NA is even a nice little car, I will tell you the 2 must haves are: T-Tops and 94+ Taillight (easy to retrofit) ENJOY.
Old 07-12-13, 01:04 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

I use to own a 92 sc400 and still have a 91 mr2 turbo, but it's not running right now. I hope to revive it some day but until ten, it's just sitting in my garage.

The MR2 are a pain to work on only because the engine compartment is so tight. The reason why you see so many mr2 needing engine replacement or has had their engine replaced/rebuilt is because their owner probably beat on it without taking care of i or they are in search of more power. The car is pretty rare now days and the most desirable years are the 94-95 second by the 93. 91-92 tend to have synchro issues and didn't offer them with lsd option and are the least desirable of the 2nd gen.

The sc400 is a better cruiser but the mr2 is funner to drive. Dont know about Colorado smog reg, but if they aren't strict you can swap in a 3rd gen 3sgte and call it a day. More reliable and better flow but parts can be hard to come by. Also the mr2 rear end can be twitchy when driving so you will always have to be on your guard. More noticeable in the turbo due to the extra low end torque.

Since modding isn't a thing you're interested in, it all really comes down to if you want a cruiser or tossable two seater. The MR2 also will get more attention so it depends if you like that or not.

If you're wondering why my car is sitting, I just chose to not renew the registration and file PNO. It does need quite some work cause the teen who owned it before me of course didn't maintain it too well but I got it for a decent price and the body was straight without any rust or dents. Finding a unmolested MR2 is hard and usually cost a arm and leg if you do find one.

Last edited by joshthorsc; 07-14-13 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-12-13, 10:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by joshthorsc
The MR2 are a pain to work on only because the engine compartment is so tight. The reason why you see so many mr2 needing engine replacement or has had their engine replaced/rebuilt is because their owner probably beat on it without taking care of i or they are in search of more power.
Tight engine compartments, especialy on mid-engine cars, are also not conducive to good air-flow around the engine when the car is moving. That, of course, retains heat, and (potentially) shortens engine life.
Old 07-12-13, 12:46 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm a sucker for a mid engine two seater so the MR2 would be my choice. Unless you plan on taking a lot of people around as passengers daily driving a two seater is no big deal. I used to daily drive my NSX and back then I had a wife and kid. You just take a different car when you need the space. I was all set to buy an MR2 if I didn't get an NSX instead. There is nothing better than driving a mid engine sports car. I used to own an SC400 and it's a no brainer for me. Driving a sports car is not all about speed. It's the driving experience and driving dynamics of the car. If you want a sports car experience, get the MR2.