Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think about the new TLX?
I like it; I think it looks great.
36.36%
I hate it; it looks bland, boring, and ugly.
14.77%
I have mix feelings / It is just ok at best.
48.86%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

2015 Acura TLX Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-14, 04:06 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

TLX teaser
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Live reveal tomorrow on Acura's YT channel
Old 01-13-14, 09:22 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexFather
Who can ever forget this concept which was their idea of the future of their design….seriously wtf is this?

They tried to take their emblem "A" and make their car look like it.

Not sure why they thought that was important.
Old 01-13-14, 09:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

^^^ proving once again, concepts are a waste of time and money.
Old 01-13-14, 10:09 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Huge +1 (I hate concept cars)
Old 01-13-14, 10:40 AM
LexFather

No only ridiculously ugly concepts are a waste of time and money. To a real enthusiast they are ways to show imagination and the future.

Old 01-13-14, 10:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
No only ridiculously ugly concepts are a waste of time and money. To a real enthusiast they are ways to show imagination and the future.
Some are......some aren't. The Plymouth Prowler street-rod, Chevy SSR, and Chrysler Crossfire were classic examples of concepts that made it from the show-platform into production relatively unchanged...and then completely tanked out on the actual sales. Others, such as the Chevy HHR, Chrysler PT Cruiser, and the modern 2-seat Thunderbird, also made it from show to street relatively unchanged, and, at least at first, were very successful, though the T-Bird's sales slackened quite a bit after the initial extreme hype, and it was dropped after several years.
Old 01-13-14, 11:10 AM
LexFather

No one needs a history lesson but thanks

There are different "concepts" some are wild, some production ready. They showcase future design and show a company's views on the future, sometimes even the past. Now they are even used in video games.

They are not a waste. It just happens that this concept was a preview of Acura's design and we all know how well that played out. To acura this was a good idea.

Old 01-13-14, 11:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

No one needs a history lesson but thanks
You and I and some CAR CHAT regulars may not, but not everyone can necessarily remember all of the previous vehicles we do.

They are not a waste. It just happens that this concept was a preview of Acura's design and we all know how well that played out. To acura this was a good idea.
I've seen a lot of silly Acura parrot-beaks, but I have to agree that that particular concept-one took the cake. In fact, I can remember once when I myself posted that image in one of your threads as a friendly joke (I think it was on an April Fool's day, but I can't remember which year).
Old 01-13-14, 11:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

There are different "concepts" some are wild, some production ready.
a "production ready concept" is an oxymoron. it's already a done deal.

the vast majority of concept cars, IF they come to market in an alleged related model, rarely look much of anything like the concept and if they do they're seriously watered down.

the LFA was one car that i feel the finished product was far superior (less outrageous but beautifully purposeful) to any of the numerous concepts.
Old 01-14-14, 08:13 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

revealed......
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Acura TLX Discussion-tlx1.jpg   2015 Acura TLX Discussion-tlx2.jpg   2015 Acura TLX Discussion-tlx3.jpg  

Last edited by bagwell; 01-14-14 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-14-14, 08:15 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, she's not ugly...
Old 01-14-14, 08:21 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Powertrains
2.4L w/8-speed DCT PAWS
3.5L V6 9-speed PAWS, SHAWD

sorry bit --->> While technically a concept, true to tradition the car is a thinly veiled version of the production model.

Replacing both the TL and TSX the TLX is 3.8 inches shorter than the current TL but mirrors that car’s 109.3-inch wheelbase. As a result, it fits right into the middle of the ILX and RLX in the brand’s three-car sedan lineup.

The big news, however, is what’s under the hood. Surprisingly it’s not the engines but two all-new transmissions. Rather than the six-speed automatic or even the new seven-speed dual-clutch transmission, Acura will offer either an eight-speed dual-clutch transmission or nine-speed automatic.

The TLX will also be available with two engines and with either front- or all-wheel drive. A new direct-injection 2.4-liter four-cylinder that Acura promises is “significantly lighter” than the brand’s previous 2.4L will come mated to the eight-speed DCT, while a 3.5-liter V6 gains the new nine-speed automatic.

Both engines will be offered in a front-wheel drive package with Acura’s Precision All-Wheel Steer (or P-AWS).

As for the all-wheel drive models, they will come exclusively with the V6 and nine-speed and the latest version of the brand’s SH-AWD system.

It isn’t surprising considering the multi-geared transmissions, but Acura is claiming fuel economy for the car will be class-leading.

To maximize driver enjoyment, the TLX will come with another Acura first called the “Integrated Dynamics System.” The system will deliver four driving modes to better customize the drive: ECON, Normal, Sport and Sport Plus. Each drive mode will adjust the settings for the electric power steering, throttle response, SH-AWD and P-AWS control logic, transmission shift timing and the Active Noise Control setting.

A long list of safety and convenience features will be available including a collision mitigating braking system, forward collision warning, lane departure warning, lane keeping assist, a blind spot indicator and adaptive cruise control with a low-speed follow function.

On display in Detroit the TLX Prototype is shod in a stunning Athletic Red Pearl paint and features Acura’s signature Jewel Eye LED headlights and big 20-inch wheels wrapped in wide 265/30ZR20 tires.

The TLX production model could debut as early at the Chicago Auto Show next month with an on-sale date for the 2015 model year car set to come later this year.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-9-speeds.html

Last edited by bagwell; 01-14-14 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-14-14, 08:26 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The presenter was horrible. If I wanted to sleep, I'd listen to him.

As for the car itself, I'm surprised the V6 is getting a 9 speed when the RLX hybrid is only getting 7.
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why does a smart luxury vehicle have to be so well behaved? Introducing the 2015 Acura TLX.
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I need to see one in person, but from these pictures, I like what I see.

Quick Reply: 2015 Acura TLX Discussion