Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think about the new TLX?
I like it; I think it looks great.
36.36%
I hate it; it looks bland, boring, and ugly.
14.77%
I have mix feelings / It is just ok at best.
48.86%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

2015 Acura TLX Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-13, 10:14 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 Acura TLX Discussion

These are the first spy shots of the next Acura TL, oh wait "TLX". The "bird beak" will most likely stay, but it should be tone down like with the new RLX and MDX. I hope the TLX will take after the second and third generation TL; rather than the current model.

Acura will launch a mid-size sedan next year that will serve as the replacement for both the TL and TSX lines, and we have the first spy shots of a prototype for it.

The new sedan is expected to be labeled the TLX and fill the gap between the ILX and new RLX flagship, with Acura’s reformed lineup mimicking that of most rival makes in the luxury segment.

Underpinning the car will be a premium version of the platform underpinning the Honda Accord. Lighter materials may help engineers save weight on the Acura version.

In the powertrain department, the TLX is likely to launch initially with a version of the 3.5-liter V-6 fitted to the latest MDX and RLX models. This means an output ranging between 290 and 310 horsepower and drive going to either the front or all four wheels via a six-speed automatic with paddle shifters.

Further down the track, Acura will launch a hybrid version of the TLX. It’s possible this hybrid TLX will adopt the advanced Acura Sport Hybrid Super Handling All-Wheel Drive system confirmed for the RLX and next-generation NSX supercar.

However, to save on costs Acura may simply install the conventional hybrid system fitted to the Accord Hybrid. This uses two electric motors, one housed essentially inside the other, sitting between the engine and transmission. One motor acts as a generator to recharge the battery during regenerative braking while the other sends drive to the wheels.

The TLX should arrive in showrooms next summer, most likely as a 2015 model. Look for a debut at one of the major North American auto shows taking place in the first half of next year.

We’re not expecting pricing to deviate much from the mid-$30k point that the TL lists at. At this point, the car’s closest competitors will likely be the Infiniti Q50 and Lexus ES.

Sadly, with the TSX being discontinued, it’s likely the Honda-badged version sold overseas, the Accord Euro, will suffer a similar fate. Sales of the current Accord Euro have failed to ignite overseas, especially with the regular Accord offering much better value, so the car’s demise doesn’t come as much of a surprise.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-tlx-spy-shots
Old 07-09-13, 10:37 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL! It's the exact same car!
Old 07-09-13, 11:41 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Based on what they did with the accord, I bet this TL will be a huge improvement over the current one.

The current one has ridiculous proportions. Small wheelbase, giant overhangs.

Wheelbase 109.3 in
Overall Length 195.5 in

But this one looks like it's nicely shaped for a FWD. I bet it will look like a smaller RLX, and the RLX will continue to sell like crap.
Old 07-09-13, 11:43 AM
LexFather

They hope it sells back in the volume as the 2nd and 3rd gens as its supposed to be their volume car. Imagine the ES, 3 series, G37 selling 50% like before. They will likely go super conservative.

From Vigor to Tl to now TLX....geez...

Old 07-09-13, 12:25 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Proportions look good so far, but may be too little too late. At this point I would not buy ANY Acura sedan within the first 2 model years of its life...look at the Gen 2 TSX (got much improved steering etc in its 3rd model year) and the total disaster that is the ILX.....

This brand truly peaked during the Legend/NSX days. The Gen 1 TSX and Gen 2 and 3 TL were signs of life, but that's all gone now....(Gen 2 TSX is still a decent car, best sedan in the lineup overall)
Old 07-09-13, 01:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

It's gonna look just like the RLX
Old 07-13-13, 10:04 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you would think that if a supposed 3rd party cameraman was able to get close enough and have the time to take these alleged multiple-angle "spy shots", he had ample opportunity to pull out a tape measure. since he did not, i suspect his paycheck has Honda printed on it. this is just a ploy to gauge interest and drum up fake pub
Old 07-13-13, 10:37 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

i'm really looking forward to this car. i still kick myself not buying the "08 TL Type-S brand new when i had the chance few years back. i'm looking for a larger sedan to replace my IS in a year or two, i will definitely keep my eyes on the TLX. my dream specs for the TLX:

Honda Earth Dream DI V6 without the cylinder deactive crap
firmer suspension
offer a sporty variant ala Type-S, with Brembo brakes preferably
size-wise don't be larger than the new Accord sedan
standard LED headlights

Last edited by stlgrym3; 07-13-13 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-19-13, 11:10 AM
Hoovey689

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-...photo-2114719/
Old 12-19-13, 11:22 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see it now. It will look like the current Accord with a beak in the same way as the RLX looks like a big Accord with a beak. And in both cases the Accord will be the better looking car.
Old 12-19-13, 11:54 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

you can tell its not very different . I just hope the fixed that ugly *** front fender with the crease in it. Looked like crap. Also they need to get rid of that lame tapered trunk design and the beak
Old 12-19-13, 04:39 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
you can tell its not very different . I just hope the fixed that ugly *** front fender with the crease in it. Looked like crap. Also they need to get rid of that lame tapered trunk design and the beak
hold on there cowboy, this is Acura we're talking about!

That's like asking Niagra not to Fall

Old 12-19-13, 05:27 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Acura needs to drop FWD. No one takes them seriously when they offer FWD like they did with the RLX.

They need to just drop it and offer SH-AWD standard.
Old 12-19-13, 06:20 PM
volkce28n
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

hopefully they fixed that hideous bucktooth grill
Old 12-20-13, 01:07 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Oops! I got my hopes up for about 10 seconds then came back down to earth to remember how many times we've been down this road before.... Acura is set to release an all-new sedan and it's a flop. Why break the pattern now?

Quick Reply: 2015 Acura TLX Discussion