Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think about the new TLX?
I like it; I think it looks great.
36.36%
I hate it; it looks bland, boring, and ugly.
14.77%
I have mix feelings / It is just ok at best.
48.86%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

2015 Acura TLX Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-14, 03:30 PM
LexFather

http://jalopnik.com/acura-is-slowly-...ide-1501315445

Ouch!!

Old 01-16-14, 04:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
he's just a naysayer. This TLX is extremely important to Acura, and offers SH-AWD and debuts a 9-speed auto. To me this TLX is what the 4th generation should have been in the first place. Look closely at the stance and it reminds of the aggressive stance the 3rd generation had. The ILX and RLX need to go back to the drawing board, but this at least shows Acura still has a pulse. MDX while capable seems softer to me than the outgoing model, similar to BMW and this latest X5 vs the outgoing. Oh and the RDX needs SH-AWD, there's no excuse not to offer it as an option on the entire line-up. It's great tech and Acura could take advantage of it and implement SH-AWD similar to how Audi does with Quattro. Another sign Acura is alive is the fact that US operations gave a big middle finger to Japan HQ by building this upcoming NSX. Regions and markets know what they want, not some bean counters thousands of miles away. Even Lexus USA is starting to come into its own and do things without word from Japan
Old 01-16-14, 04:48 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
he's just a naysayer. This TLX is extremely important to Acura, and offers SH-AWD and debuts a 9-speed auto. To me this TLX is what the 4th generation should have been in the first place. Look closely at the stance and it reminds of the aggressive stance the 3rd generation had. The ILX and RLX need to go back to the drawing board, but this at least shows Acura still has a pulse. MDX while capable seems softer to me than the outgoing model, similar to BMW and this latest X5 vs the outgoing. Oh and the RDX needs SH-AWD, there's no excuse not to offer it as an option on the entire line-up. It's great tech and Acura could take advantage of it and implement SH-AWD similar to how Audi does with Quattro. Another sign Acura is alive is the fact that US operations gave a big middle finger to Japan HQ by building this upcoming NSX. Regions and markets know what they want, not some bean counters thousands of miles away. Even Lexus USA is starting to come into its own and do things without word from Japan
Honestly nobody knows whats goin on inside Acura, but check this out. TLX is a product of Honda USA while RLX is product of Honda Japan. Two completely different visions as to where the brand should go and what it should be. I find it odd that American Honda who brought us a current TL and took a crap in terms of sale has turned around and it's now driving the Acura into better mindset.

Honda of Japan has all the technology and they just don't know how to use it right in Acura but a good thing is they are willing to listen. And listen they do when HPD ditched a proposal from Japan to put twin turbo-ed RLX 3.5 inside NSX in order to save money. Japanese have responded by giving them a proper powerplant.

TLX will maybe go back into 3rd gen TL sales numbers but it will for sure outsell current TL.

Also a turbo engine will be an addition to TLX line up within a year or on MMC, according to source at vtec
Old 01-16-14, 04:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

tech is good/great... dont forget that engines are new as well... I dont think AWD matters much except for internet battles. Even Audi sells more FWD than AWD cars worldwide, and Acura isnt up to Audi status.

I am just concerned if they mellow the concept even a bit, it will look like you have seen it before... profile pic looks very Toyota/Lexus - front like Toyota, back like IS.

we will be likely getting this as Euro Accord again, and thats great.
Old 01-16-14, 05:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Honestly nobody knows whats goin on inside Acura, but check this out. TLX is a product of Honda USA while RLX is product of Honda Japan. Two completely different visions as to where the brand should go and what it should be. I find it odd that American Honda who brought us a current TL and took a crap in terms of sale has turned around and it's now driving the Acura into better mindset.

Honda of Japan has all the technology and they just don't know how to use it right in Acura but a good thing is they are willing to listen. And listen they do when HPD ditched a proposal from Japan to put twin turbo-ed RLX 3.5 inside NSX in order to save money. Japanese have responded by giving them a proper powerplant.

TLX will maybe go back into 3rd gen TL sales numbers but it will for sure outsell current TL.

Also a turbo engine will be an addition to TLX line up within a year or on MMC, according to source at vtec
Validates my point that by doing a more regional thing they can cater to consumers better

Less interference from Corporate, just lexus Acura USA do their thing

Originally Posted by spwolf
tech is good/great... dont forget that engines are new as well... I dont think AWD matters much except for internet battles. Even Audi sells more FWD than AWD cars worldwide, and Acura isnt up to Audi status.

I am just concerned if they mellow the concept even a bit, it will look like you have seen it before... profile pic looks very Toyota/Lexus - front like Toyota, back like IS.

we will be likely getting this as Euro Accord again, and thats great.
Yes new powertrain help tremendously. Perhaps worldwide, but here in the US, Quattro is a huge selling point and I'll venture 99% of Audi's I see have AWD. Only ever seen base FWD on dealer lots.

This looks complete, but I agree they can't mellow this design (similar to Subaru and the WRX), that won't be good. They need this aggression as it give Acura "attitude" which they've lacked for some time now.
Old 01-16-14, 05:48 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This looks complete, but I agree they can't mellow this design (similar to Subaru and the WRX), that won't be good. They need this aggression as it give Acura "attitude" which they've lacked for some time now.
pretty sure this car is 99% production-ready...nothing like what Subby does to us.
Old 01-16-14, 05:52 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^I think a lot of people assume that most Audis have quattro because it's so synonymous with the brand, but when you really start to pay attention, several of them do not, especially in markets like CA and GA where it's hardly necessary because of mild weather. Most A4s and A6s here at the base FWD 2.0T models without LED headlights (A4), minimal luxury features, plastic/metallic trim and smaller wheels.

Not knocking Audi's strategy...it's smart in regions where AWD isn't necessary and makes their cars cost competitive. Somehow, even despite this, media and public seem to be sure that virtually all Audis come with AWD.
Old 01-16-14, 06:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm disappointed that the new RDX and MDX have lost SH-AWD, but they do look great, and sell very well. I see a lot of new RDX/MDX here in NYC.

This new TL is going to be a major hit if its not overpriced. Its a great looking car and with SH-AWD the drivetrain is just amazing.

The RLX and ILX are just stupid though.
Old 01-16-14, 06:46 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I'm disappointed that the new RDX and MDX have lost SH-AWD, but they do look great, and sell very well. I see a lot of new RDX/MDX here in NYC.

This new TL is going to be a major hit if its not overpriced. Its a great looking car and with SH-AWD the drivetrain is just amazing.

I don't think the sh-awd was removed for the MDX.

Agreed, RLX and ILX are pretty terrible efforts.
Old 01-16-14, 07:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
pretty sure this car is 99% production-ready...nothing like what Subby does to us.
it is, but they might change the front/back lights, remove some bits from the front bumper and change the mirrors... together with "normal" wheels, it would end up looking quite ordinary... while now it looks premium and agressive enough.
Old 01-16-14, 07:44 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks much better than the last gen. and that's huge for them because all they ever did was make new versions uglier
Old 01-16-14, 07:48 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The RLX FWD model is terrible but the hybrid is a great effort. The drive train alone is more sophisticated than any Acura within the last 10 years combined. Acura blew it when they offered the FWD to begin with
Old 01-16-14, 08:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
while acura has made LOTS of blunders, esp. in the lost last decade, jalopnik's column shows he doesn't get it.

he wrote:

I don't see anything coming from this company that shows it aims to be the best luxury brand out there
so i say he doesn't get it because i don't believe acura has or has ever had any intention of being the 'best luxury brand out there' in any sphere.

honda/acura do what they do and are overall incredibly successful. it's not everything to everyone, the same as any brand. they've obviously made a lot of product decisions that are hard to fathom, often resulting in uncompetitive vehicles (recent rl and rlx and ilx) or models that needed a thorough makeover to get anywhere (tl, rdx, to name two)...

but i suspect they're having troubles justifying the r&d costs or figuring out their marketing objectives in a more and more crowded near luxury and luxury market.

i've maintained forever that they don't intend to compete with 'mainstream luxury' like bmw, mb, audi or lexus. some obvious reasons they'd be foolish to try is the lack of a rwd platform (although that doesn't stop audi). there may be some cross shopping with other brands, but overall acura has focused on premium or 'low end' luxury offerings with some technical innovations (sh-awd for example).

where they go from here, who knows, but right now, they're mostly a 'premium / entry lux suv company' (rdx, mdx) with one sedan that does ok (tl). the tsx did well, but has strangely been dropped.

it's an odd brand to watch because it's not really like anything else, and makes puzzling (to be kind) moves. but no one should count them out from doing something special (again)...
Old 01-16-14, 09:28 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Acura was never a top luxury brand as they never had a proper flagship outside of very limited NSX, but they were always very competitive with their pricing and their vehicles were very attractive and relatively sporty.

They had a bad run with ugly models such as the ZDX and outgoing TL, and it seems that this problem is solved. This new TL is very sharp looking, and even new RLX and ILX, while not being good values, are also good looking vehicles. Not ugly by any means.

Their cars are still overpriced IMO, but all cars are getting expensive, so we'll have to get used to that.
Old 01-16-14, 10:35 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

The new MDX still has SH-AWD, they just have a fwd version now, the RDX lost SH-AWD which is a shame but the new v6 version with a less sophisticated AWD system is selling at record numbers.

Rumor is the RLX may be getting SH-AWD after the e-shawd comes out along with a 8 or 9 speed auto/DSG from the TLX. ILX was not a good effort aside from the decent 6 speed 2.4 version, there is talk of a major MMC/powertrain upgrade for the ILX that will address the poor base engines which it desperately needs.

I like the styling of the TLX concept, it has a nice aggressive look and will surely be a good driver. I do hope they try to keep the production model as close as they can to the concept and don't make the mistake of putting too small wheels on it like they did with the base 4th gen.

Quick Reply: 2015 Acura TLX Discussion