Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think about the new TLX?
I like it; I think it looks great.
36.36%
I hate it; it looks bland, boring, and ugly.
14.77%
I have mix feelings / It is just ok at best.
48.86%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

2015 Acura TLX Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-14, 09:56 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

i'm in the market for a sedan right now. looking forward to test driving the TLX SH-AWD, but i just can't see how I would get it over the IS350 F Sport.
Old 09-15-14, 10:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no that isn't the point of a DCT. the DCT's dual clutches 'pre-selects' and synchronizes the next/previous gear for much faster shifts. but there's always been a trade-off with smoothness at low speeds. with an electronically controlled torque converter, acura has given the car the best of both worlds. pretty slick.
Not quite. It's true that the Ford Focus/Fiesta, Dodge Dart, and a couple of other makes have had trouble with clunky low-speed DCT performance, but it was not universal by any means. The VW/Audi DSG/S-Tronic DCT transmissions, especially the early versions, were as smooth, if not more so, than most torque-converter automatics....even the ultra-smooth automatics from GM and Lexus.
Old 09-15-14, 10:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not quite. It's true that the Ford Focus/Fiesta, Dodge Dart, and a couple of other makes have had trouble with clunky low-speed DCT performance, but it was not universal by any means. The VW/Audi DSG/S-Tronic DCT transmissions, especially the early versions, were as smooth, if not more so, than most torque-converter automatics....even the ultra-smooth automatics from GM and Lexus.
you're right there, the vw/audi dsg/dct is amazing.

maybe GSteg in this post...

Originally Posted by GSteg
I really want to try Honda's DCT. I've been turned off by other brands' DCT because of low speed drive-ability. They're great for when you're gunning it, but horrible when using in a crowded parking lot. I'm actually quite happy Honda still has some ingenuity in them. There is hope after all..
was referring to the single clutch autos like the one in an older m3, and even the LFA, which are known for abrupt shifts at low speed.
Old 09-15-14, 11:12 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Personally, I don't buy into this trend.

I'm all for weight savings and complying with CAFE, but I need a spare or RFTs. If you want to force me to buy the spare and a jack as an accessory, I'll do it. But I won't drive a car with an inflator kit. With TPMS, how often are drivers stranded with a flat that can hold air from a slow leak? Yes, I have AAA, but if I'm nowhere near home, that's a long tow if an inflator kit can't help me; and if I have the family with me, how are we all going to fit in the cab of the tow truck.

I don't love RFTs, but it's the only way I'm foregoing a spare.
+1 no spare is for cost cutting. Its just spun to make its seem like they're conscious about fuel economy.
Old 09-15-14, 11:17 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

no that isn't the point of a DCT. the DCT's dual clutches 'pre-selects' and synchronizes the next/previous gear for much faster shifts. but there's always been a trade-off with smoothness at low speeds. with an electronically controlled torque converter, acura has given the car the best of both worlds. pretty slick.
Bitkahuna, I think you and GSteg are correct that there's a trade off at low speeds and initial start off with DCT's. There's a lot of slippage and delay, even with the VW units, and right now a huge problem (in my opinion) with the Mercedes unit in the CLA and GLA. Can make stop and go and in parking lot maneuvers pretty maddening. Maybe this Honda application of a torque converter can eliminate that.
Old 09-15-14, 11:41 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Acura delivers an all-new TLX that’s truly tasteful and conservative.
Old 09-15-14, 12:48 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out the first modified TLX that we just did! Very clean look with our Silver Polished VFS2's.

Old 09-15-14, 02:20 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The VW/Audi DSG/S-Tronic DCT transmissions, especially the early versions, were as smooth, if not more so, than most torque-converter automatics....even the ultra-smooth automatics from GM and Lexus.
My particular experience is with my aunt's VW Golf GTI. It was fine at higher speed, but you do feel some jerkiness when maneuvering in parking lots. It's definitely not bad, but there are some room for improvements. VW had issues with their earlier 7spd DSG transmission, but the later revision seems to be better.
Old 09-15-14, 04:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

In a car like the M3, the more violent shifting at low speeds is more acceptable because of the caliber of car it is. The TLX however has it right by not only giving the car a quick shifting DCT but a TC for ultimate refinement, which lets face it, the car is more happy racing around suburbia than on the Nurburgring. That said the VW DSG unit is among the better units as just a DCT but it's not perfect. The Focus if you guys remember has a DCT and it's terrible at low speeds, very jerky and often it's Achilles Heel in reviews and comparison tests.
Old 09-15-14, 04:40 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

My experience with an 2010 VW CC DSG indicated that it could get jerky around parking lot speeds. Did you test a model that was earlier than that?
Old 09-15-14, 04:48 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
+1 no spare is for cost cutting. Its just spun to make its seem like they're conscious about fuel economy.
Fine--I don't like it, but I'll accept that. But make it available as an accessory. Roof racks and cross bars have been removed for cost cutting, under the guise of fuel economy standards. But they don't give you a ball of twine instead--you can still get a roof rack and cross bars. Don't give me an f---ing inflator kit; I want a spare.
Old 09-15-14, 06:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The Focus if you guys remember has a DCT and it's terrible at low speeds, very jerky and often it's Achilles Heel in reviews and comparison tests.
yeah someone i know has a focus with the DCT. she is not made of money and buying a new focus was a stretch and she was VERY upset with the transmission. i told her to return it as a lemon since clearly the dealer couldn't do anything but i think she kept it.
Old 09-15-14, 07:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Bitkahuna, I think you and GSteg are correct that there's a trade off at low speeds and initial start off with DCT's. There's a lot of slippage and delay, even with the VW units
Somehow, though, the VW/Audi units, even with slippage, avoided clunkiness a low speeds. The Fiesta/Focus, and Dart units didn't.
Old 09-15-14, 07:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
My experience with an 2010 VW CC DSG indicated that it could get jerky around parking lot speeds. Did you test a model that was earlier than that?
Yes, the first VW/Audi DCT units were smooth as silk....as much so in some cases as torque converters. Later VW units, as you and a few others here have noted (and I agree), did seem to have a slight bump now and then starting off.
Old 09-15-14, 07:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

yeah someone i know has a focus with the DCT. she is not made of money and buying a new focus was a stretch and she was VERY upset with the transmission. i told her to return it as a lemon since clearly the dealer couldn't do anything but i think she kept it.
Ford has admitted that the Focus/Fiesta DCT units are clunky at low speeds, and has promised to rectify it in the future (but I have no idea how long it will take).

When I did my first Fiesta review several years ago, I noted a hesitation in the responsiveness starting from rest, but I didn't realize, at the time, that it was actually the Ford DCT (as the older VW units had been smooth as silk). I summed it up, in the review, to a (possible) condition of too much leanness in the fuel mixture (which will also give uneven low-speed acceleration problems). That was probably wrong on my part.

Quick Reply: 2015 Acura TLX Discussion