Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think about the new TLX?
I like it; I think it looks great.
36.36%
I hate it; it looks bland, boring, and ugly.
14.77%
I have mix feelings / It is just ok at best.
48.86%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

2015 Acura TLX Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-14, 10:57 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I don;t agree with your opinions a bit. ISF is a very fun car and guess what, it's no manual.
Your point was valid 10 years ago. It's not anymore. A lot of super sport cars don;t come in manual anymore.
true, but can you imagine driving a miata or BRZ with a slushbox?
Old 08-05-14, 10:59 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I cannot ever imagine myself driving those two regardless
Old 08-05-14, 11:09 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Super Sport car now comes in Automatic only, that is due to the fact that people is getting lazier, and still want to be cool.

The cars have too much power to fool around with the clutch and the shifter, if you have never owned one before. Even if you did, you still have a chance of breaking things in the car.

It is also true that Automatic are faster than Manual. That comes down to the Programmer vs the Chip vs the Human.

Still, being a Sport car, you have to be a Sport yourself....and there is no Lazy Sport...or is there ?
Old 08-05-14, 11:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

right but a midsize sedan is TOTALLY different than a light sports car like miata or brz.

let's face it, manuals are dead except for tiny niche low power enthusiast vehicles.
Old 08-05-14, 11:21 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Whitigir
Super Sport car now comes in Automatic only, that is due to the fact that people is getting lazier, and still want to be cool.
) yah, keep thinking that...
Back to our subject, found this article: http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/first-looks/2015-acura-tlx-first-drive-review?src=soc_fcbks
Old 08-05-14, 11:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

oh I love manual tranny....but in a real sports car...not in a buick-like sedan.

Buick tried offering a 6MT with the Verano Turbo sedan. Despite a lot of talk about it on the Internet and in Buick/GM forums, the actual take rate for it was almost in the negative column.
Old 08-05-14, 11:34 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

No one seems to like the 9 speed transmission for spirited drive, though it serves its purpose for regular commutes. The 8 speed DCT on the other hand, sounds like a good transmission. Why not 8spd DCT all across the board? I'm sure it can handle the extra power from the V6.
Old 08-05-14, 11:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3
marshall, imo, they have toned it down and tone deafed the beak here. And besides, a beak "makes not" a vehicle and if if so they would have sold ZERO TLs. In Italy, having a big/unusual nose was a sign of leadership back in the day.
When the beak debuted those of us with a clue immediately saw it as a huge problem. We of course had people come in here defend the car to no end. Now here we are in 2014 and Acura themselves admit that styling was the biggest reason the car failed. Remember the TL used to sell like an ES and one of the best selling sedans. The 4th gen barely met 50% of its sales target and sold very poorly.

When they toned the beak down in 2012 people said "omg huge improvement" but sales didn't improve so obviously consumers felt differently.

Originally Posted by GSteg
No one seems to like the 9 speed transmission for spirited drive, though it serves its purpose for regular commutes. The 8 speed DCT on the other hand, sounds like a good transmission. Why not 8spd DCT all across the board? I'm sure it can handle the extra power from the V6.
It seems the DCT can't handle the torque nor AWD of the larger engine. Odd since the larger engine isn't exactly full of torque. I believe the 9 speed is the same ZF unit that Jeep/Chrysler uses.

Old 08-05-14, 12:28 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
right but a midsize sedan is TOTALLY different than a light sports car like miata or brz.

let's face it, manuals are dead except for tiny niche low power enthusiast vehicles.
oh I agree 100% (altho the m3 continues to offer the 6 speed manual as standard equipment)
Old 08-05-14, 12:37 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitigir
Seriously, I do not see the point of buying a Sport car, and have it all Automatic....What is the fun of it ?

To me, my own opinions. Sport car is Sport because

1/ So Balanced, so Agile, that you can toss around with confident

2/ Manual, so you get the feeling of when your car is rolling backward from a hill, that you have to utilize your hand brake, and feathering the clutch at the right moment

3/ Manual, so when you row it into gear, or down shift, you will judge at how much Rev you need to give to your engine, and have that Woosh, Soosh, acceleration without the engine jerking.

4/ Manual, so whenever you ride it, you can hear your Exhaust tunes due to the nature of rev matching, and Engine braking....varies speed = varies tunes.

Why do you even considered it being a sport....where you just step on either "gas" pedal or "brake" pedal ? that is beyond me.

Yet, the TL manual trans was so slow moving. That is because the car was a Luxury breed to begin with. Because it is heavy, and Isolate the driver from the road.
Economics 101--lack of demand translates to lack of supply.
Old 08-05-14, 12:44 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

honestly I hope they offer some kind of package resembling the prototype car....but I just don't think Acura has the resources/ability to do a decent Type S package (or similar).
Old 08-05-14, 01:06 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

If the car sells well, I have no doubt they'll offer a Type-S. They would be nuts not to take advantage of the TLX's success (pending). Not to mention, a Type-S model would somewhat alleviate their lackluster image. They have the capability, but they need the green light from their crappy management.
Old 08-05-14, 04:57 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Saw my first one in traffic today while someone was taking it for a test drive. Was in a dark gray color with dark wheels, looked pretty dang good IMO.
Old 08-05-14, 05:57 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 564 Likes on 386 Posts

Does Type-S even have any value any more? They haven't had an S anything since 2008
Old 08-05-14, 07:14 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Are you sure you saw a RLX or an accord? The accord is much better designed and proportioned and very handsome and does without a beak and 800 headlights. And the accord has exhausts the RLX doesnt.

Vanilla is supposed to sell. Vanilla not selling is a serious case of doing it wrong..
I know what Im seeing and saying. Dont care about Honda vs Acura. I said the RLX has a nice presence to it. I like the headlights. Its something different from the rest of the cars you see. Dont care about its sales either. Lets stop pretending one opinion is the right one.

Quick Reply: 2015 Acura TLX Discussion