Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Most patriotic car-buying cities are in the country's middle

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-13, 01:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Most patriotic car-buying cities are in the country's middle

Most patriotic car-buying cities are in the country's middle

Happy 4th of July! CarGurus Celebrates "Most Patriotic" Car-Buying Cities
Heartland cities buy American, coastal cities stick with foreign brands

CAMBRIDGE, MA (June 27, 2013) – CarGurus (www.CarGurus.com), the nation's fastest growing car shopping website, today released a study identifying how U.S. cities stack up in terms of shoppers' interest in buying American brand cars.

Topping the list is the Motor City, Detroit, MI, where 67.8% of shoppers' car listing inquiries are directed to American brands. Detroit is also notable for an unusually wide split between preferred foreign brands: shoppers there show the lowest share of interest in Asian brand cars (10.97%).

California dominates the other end of the rankings for American brand inquiries, with San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Jose and San Diego appearing at the bottom of the list. San Francisco shoppers are also notable for their leaning towards European brands (30.45%), as they showed the highest interest in the country in that category. Similarly, the nation's capital is in the bottom 10 and shows the highest percentage of shoppers' interest in Asian brand cars in the nation (33.55%).

To see the full ranking of the top 51 cities and a U.S. map displaying the results, click here.

Top and Bottom 10 Rankings of U.S. Metro Areas by Level of Consumer Interest in Buying American Brand Cars

The Top 10:
1. Detroit, MI
2. Cleveland, OH
3. Indianapolis, IN
4. St. Louis, MO
4. Kansas City, MO
6. Tulsa, OK
7. Milwaukee, WI
8. Rochester, NY
9. New Orleans, LA
10. Pittsburgh, PA

The Bottom 10:
1. San Francisco, CA
2. Los Angeles, CA
3. San Jose, CA
4. New York, NY
5. San Diego, CA
6. Seattle, WA
7. Boston, MA
8. Washington, DC
9. Miami, FL
10. Hartford, CT

Methodology
For this study, CarGurus analyzed inquiries submitted to dealers on car listings for sale in top metro areas in the continental U.S. over the past month, comparing share of interest by brand (American, European and Asian) in each metro area. Metro areas were ranked according to the percentage of total inquiries submitted on listings of American brand cars versus non-American brand cars.
Nice Map:
http://www.cargurus.com/press/assets...n_made_map.pdf
Old 07-04-13, 02:03 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

not surprising. all the big cities on the coasts have the most immigrants and less conservative population
Old 07-04-13, 02:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thread should be relabeled "Most idiotic car-buying cities are in the country's middle".

Oh, and I got my daughters Suzuki on Pearl Harbor day!
Old 07-04-13, 02:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

this shouldnt be a surprise for anyone anywhere in the US. I remember driving through Nebraska and hearing someone say " That big guy is driving one of them fancy foreign jobs ". I will never forget it. I also noticed that a Japanese car is fewer and further between when youre not near the coasts
Old 07-04-13, 05:07 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I live in san francisco. Even if you drive 80 miles east of here on I-80, there are less and less foreign and nice cars on the road and more and more pickup trucks.
Old 07-04-13, 10:50 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Most people don't realize that alot of "American" cars are made outside the U.S. and foreign car companies like Honda, Toyota are designed and made in the U.S. by our own "American" work force. So by buying "American" isn't always buying American..
Old 07-05-13, 11:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The thing is......unlike the last several decades, when American-designed vehicles were often junk, those conservative car-buyers in the Midwest now actually have something to be patriotic about. Like it or not, a number of American-badged vehicles are now competitive and worth buying. There are, of course, many reasons for that, but two of the most important are the (now) much better management at Ford and the bailouts at GM/Chrysler which almost completely transformed both corporations. The new Ford Fusion, in particular, compared to several of its foreign-badged rivals, is impressive. The flip side to that, of course (as we also see with Buick, Cadillac, and Chrysler) is that much of the engineering and platforms that made the new American-nameplate vehicles better was actually developed in those corporation's European-divisions (Opel, Vauxhall, Fiat, Ford of Germany, etc...), and simply rebadged (or modified) into American nameplates. So it is really the engineers in Europe that take much of the credit.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-05-13 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-05-13, 01:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Most people don't realize that alot of "American" cars are made outside the U.S. and foreign car companies like Honda, Toyota are designed and made in the U.S. by our own "American" work force. So by buying "American" isn't always buying American..
people buy them because the brand is American. In the global economy we all know they are not made here totally but the brand is still an American brand:uh. Pretty simple. I bet you 75% of American car buyers are not totally aware that there cars are being made outside the US. They buy them with blind patriotism. I have had argument after argument with people about this. I have been hard on American cars because they were garbage, BUT have been making a very very strong come back since their wake up call a few years back. All I care about is reliability, quality, and performance. The rest is secondary. My wife's 2013 Toyota Sienna Limited was made in the US but the quality is top rated . Some Nissans are made in the US and are having tranny issues like crazy . Japanese vs American vs German is actually getting blurred in terms of quality since the differences are not as great as they were before. Now we need to watch quality since writing a brand off, like I used to, is not needed to get a good car. Just do the research . Its like the brand are evolving into each other. Manufacturers know we want American power ( and pricing ), German design, and Japanese build quality, reliability , and attention to detail. That exactly what cars are becoming slowly

Last edited by I8ABMR; 07-05-13 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-05-13, 06:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
people buy them because the brand is American.
True...at least as far as the logos on the hood and trunk are concerned.

I bet you 75% of American car buyers are not totally aware that there cars are being made outside the US.
Given the complexity of just what can (and can't) be considered "American" in today's world-sourced vehicles, it's hard to just pluck a straight percentage figure out of the air. As I noted in my last post, a number of today's best vehicles with traditional American logos on the hood are now using Asian or European platforms, drivetrains, and interiors. They can be built either here or in overseas plant. One of the best examples....my own Buick Verano. It's a combination of a German Opel/Vauxhall Astra sedan platform/chassis, a typical GM Ecotec 4-cylinder, a typical GM 6-speed Sport-shift automatic, an almost carbon copy of a left-hand-drive Astra interior (with a few Buick touches), and, of course, LOTS of the Buick Quiet-Tuning sound insulation. It's built in Wixom, MI, BTW.

And where was my previous Subaru Outback built? Lafayette, Indiana.....right in the heart of the traditional Great Lakes American-brand buying region. That plant was formerly shared by Subaru/Isuzu and now is Subaru/Toyota. My late father's whole side of the family was from Indiana. One or two of my uncles, several years ago, gave me and my brother some guff for doing an "Un-American" thing by purchasing a Subaru and a Honda (Civic). When I pointed out where those two cars were actually built (with American labor from both Ohio and Indiana).....suddenly, a strange silence.

They buy them with blind patriotism. I have had argument after argument with people about this. I have been hard on American cars because they were garbage, BUT have been making a very very strong come back since their wake up call a few years back. All I care about is reliability, quality, and performance. The rest is secondary. My wife's 2013 Toyota Sienna Limited was made in the US but the quality is top rated . Some Nissans are made in the US and are having tranny issues like crazy . Japanese vs American vs German is actually getting blurred in terms of quality since the differences are not as great as they were before. Now we need to watch quality since writing a brand off, like I used to, is not needed to get a good car. Just do the research . Its like the brand are evolving into each other. Manufacturers know we want American power ( and pricing ), German design, and Japanese build quality, reliability , and attention to detail. That exactly what cars are becoming slowly
No arguments here, with this paragraph. I agree with most of what you say.