Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

June 2013 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-13, 03:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yeah, it is doing very well. Lower price point vs. the Germans, standard V6, fwd. or awd. etc. I also like their easy approach to options, regular or tech package. With the Germans prices go up fast when you start adding options.
The RDX is selling to loyal customers who will buy any SUV they sell. It has much less luxury and tech and a cheaper price, than the Germans let alone the Escape, Santa Fe etc etc. Its the SUV Camry/Civic, vanilla/average sells in many cases.

Old 07-02-13, 03:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Hoovey

I echo your point about the Mazda 6

I would really like to see an analysis of what is going on regarding customer perception on Mazda

One thing they keep doing that confounds me is spending marketing dollarson branding that few people understand

If you asked any one on the street what the f sky actin means you would get a bunch of blank stares

I had to wiki it and all I get is they use higher compression than (what I don't know)

I remember when they had the millennia they were harping on some unexplained engine tech then too

If some one there had any sense, they woul sell a turbo mistake with close to 300 hp and it would sell like crazy
Marketing....

Look at how Mazda and Hyundai/Kia have approached marketing. Its completely different and the latter also increased warranty coverage etc etc. They made a bang not just with the car but with advertising and marketing.

The 6 is also my favorite in class with maybe the Altima behind it and Mazda has simply not done the job to inform consumers why they should buy a 6 or a Mazda over the competition. Mazda also doesn't have the $$$$$ to spend, nor dealers trying to stay afloat.

I think many of us have a soft spot for Mazda but with a consistent solid lineup it just hasn't become a hit with mainstream America.

Old 07-02-13, 03:22 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Hoovey

I echo your point about the Mazda 6

I would really like to see an analysis of what is going on regarding customer perception on Mazda

One thing they keep doing that confounds me is spending marketing dollarson branding that few people understand

If you asked any one on the street what the f sky actin means you would get a bunch of blank stares

I had to wiki it and all I get is they use higher compression than (what I don't know)

I remember when they had the millennia they were harping on some unexplained engine tech then too

If some one there had any sense, they woul sell a turbo mistake with close to 300 hp and it would sell like crazy
Yeah the marketing is a bit strange. It's there but folks aren't "buying it" so to speak. And yeah say you have this "Zoom Zoom" impression, where are all the Mazdaspeed products? They need to be every bit about efficiency and tech as they are about sport and fun. A good balance would be ideal
Old 07-02-13, 03:51 PM
LexFather

Another exciting sales race!!!
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#axzz2Xvjh6FYU

BMW trims Mercedes's 2013 luxury lead as 3-series demand soars

DETROIT (Bloomberg) -- BMW boosted U.S. sales of its 3-series cars 63 percent last month, helping the automaker set a June record and narrowing the luxury-vehicle lead of Mercedes-Benz.

Deliveries of the BMW brand rose 25 percent in June to 27,074, while Daimler AG's Mercedes reported a gain of 9.8 percent from a year earlier to 24,415, according to statements today. Toyota Motor Corp.'s Lexus posted a 6.7 percent increase to 21,355.

The monthly results trim Mercedes's lead this year to 1,519 vehicles as the two German automakers vie for the annual sales crown BMW has held for two years. Through May, BMW had trailed Mercedes by 4,178 vehicles.

Mercedes sales for the year through June gained 10 percent to 141,950, Daimler said. BMW said its deliveries for the period rose 11 percent to 140,431. The figures don't include Daimler's cargo vans and Smart cars and BMW's Mini brand, which aren't luxury vehicles.

Luxury automakers are benefiting from broader lineups with more affordable prices, said Alec Gutierrez, a Kelley Blue Book analyst.

"It's part of a prevailing trend of near-luxury sales overall," said Gutierrez, who is based in Irvine, Calif. "The available lease offers on 3 series has been a pretty significant driver, too. We've seen promotions from the low- to mid-$300s a month. Even the 335 can be had for $400 a month. That's a lot of car for $400 a month."

Sales of BMW's 3 series, its top-selling model, surged to 10,957, helped by the new 320i, which starts at $32,550. BMW introduced the redesigned 3 series in February 2012. Mercedes was led by gains of 17 percent to 7,639 for the C-class sedan and 37 percent to 2,806 for the GLK-class SUV.

Lexus reported a monthly increase of 50 percent for the ES sedan. The company's luxury brand said it sold 118,415 vehicles this year through June, up 9.5 percent. Lexus was the annual U.S. sales leader for 11 years until natural disasters in Asia curtailed 2011 output.

BMW's status as annual leader for 2012 is based on reported sales. Based on vehicle registrations, Mercedes topped BMW last year, according to researcher R.L. Polk & Co.

Cadillac, Audi

General Motors Co.'s Cadillac luxury-brand deliveries rose 15 percent in June to 13,929 on demand for the new ATS and XTS sedans. Those models accounted for 42 percent of monthly sales. Through June, Cadillac sales climbed 33 percent to 83,679, GM said in a statement.

U.S. sales of Volkswagen AG's Audi brand rose 8.2 percent to 13,706, according to a statement. June was the brand's 30th straight month of record sales. The gains included 13 percent for the A5 sedan and 26 percent for the Q5 SUV. Sales for the year have risen 14 percent to 74,277, Audi's best first half since it began U.S. sales in 1970.

Porsche, which is now part of VW, posted a 23 percent gain in June to 3,700 vehicles in the U.S., a record for the month.

Honda Motor Co.'s Acura sales fell 10 percent to 13,765 last month, the company said in a statement. Nissan Motor Co.'s Infiniti slid 13 percent to 9,114, according to statement from the automaker.

Ford Motor Co. sold 7,469 Lincolns in June, a 1 percent decline from a year earlier, the automaker reported.

Land Rover sales droppd 3.7 percent last month to 3,468, while Jaguar's surged 59 percent to 1,637, according to a statement. The U.K.-based brands are owned by Tata Motors Ltd., which has its headquarters in Mumbai.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#ixzz2XvkCqHdt
Follow us: @Automotive_News on Twitter | AutoNews on Facebook

Old 07-02-13, 03:54 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Woof. Mercedes probably can't wait for the CLA to come out.
Old 07-02-13, 04:08 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Wait isn't the E-Class supposed to be #1 by this report?
You're right, I fixed it. So much for proof reading

Shouldn't the Azera and Cadenza be on here if the Avalon and Maxima are?
You're right, I just added it..

Buick slaying Acura
Indeed and I'm loving that the TSX is still outselling the ILX

CT sales have really slowed. Er why is the EX still around?
I like the EX. It's essentially a G37 wagon. I just think it's too close in size to the FX and perhaps the FX is overshadowing it a bit. I think the FX needs to grow in size for the next generation (Q70). Right now it's too close in size to the EX and it's a little too small for its class. Both are really nice vehicles IMO though
Old 07-02-13, 04:18 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

The 3-series is absolutely insane. Lexus needs to offer a lot more variants and trim levels if the IS is to ever come close. A turbo 2.0, a hybrid and a coupe will really help.
Old 07-02-13, 04:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i am just looking forward to the next 2-3 months between 3 series, c class, and IS
Old 07-02-13, 04:46 PM
kwr
Pit Crew

The Mercedes G Class is missing from the SUV/ Flagship class.
Old 07-02-13, 05:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
The RDX is selling to loyal customers who will buy any SUV they sell. It has much less luxury and tech and a cheaper price, than the Germans let alone the Escape, Santa Fe etc etc. Its the SUV Camry/Civic, vanilla/average sells in many cases.
i don't believe they are only sold to 'loyal customers who will buy any SUV they well' and about the luxury, as we've discussed many times, acura is not a luxury brand, it's sort of a 'premium' brand, like buick perhaps.

i happened to sit in a brand new rdx last sunday. it's REALLY nice. very comfortable. very roomy. and it looks great outside with great looking rims. not super luxurious, but way nicer in many ways than an escape of santa fe you mention. the escape for example can only be had with a 4cyl. engine, quite different than the very smooth and quiet 273HP 3.5L V6 in the rdx.

the rdx should add some features as options at least like blind spot monitor and parking sensors, but apart from that, it's a great offering.
Old 07-02-13, 05:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i am just looking forward to the next 2-3 months between 3 series, c class, IS, ATS, and a4
fixed. ...
Old 07-02-13, 06:24 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't believe they are only sold to 'loyal customers who will buy any SUV they well' and about the luxury, as we've discussed many times, acura is not a luxury brand, it's sort of a 'premium' brand, like buick perhaps.

i happened to sit in a brand new rdx last sunday. it's REALLY nice. very comfortable. very roomy. and it looks great outside with great looking rims. not super luxurious, but way nicer in many ways than an escape of santa fe you mention. the escape for example can only be had with a 4cyl. engine, quite different than the very smooth and quiet 273HP 3.5L V6 in the rdx.

the rdx should add some features as options at least like blind spot monitor and parking sensors, but apart from that, it's a great offering.
A few months ago we were shopping X3, Q5 and GLK and the RDX. The RDX offers a lot and the price is a bonus. Odds are it will have solid reliability too. We ended up going with one of the Germans for a variety of reasons, but the RDX was an interesting alternative. I can see why it is selling so well.
Old 07-02-13, 06:28 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Top 10

Old 07-02-13, 07:07 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexBob2
A few months ago we were shopping X3, Q5 and GLK and the RDX. The RDX offers a lot and the price is a bonus. Odds are it will have solid reliability too. We ended up going with one of the Germans for a variety of reasons, but the RDX was an interesting alternative. I can see why it is selling so well.
One of my clients was shopping for a premium SUV earlier this year. I went with her to check out the RX350, Evoque, Q3, and RDX. She loved the Evoque's interior, but was scared off by LR's reliability. She ended up going with Lexus. The RDX was very nice, but she was turned off by the brand's lack of prestige (she works in an industry where status is very important).
Old 07-02-13, 07:33 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm still shocked at how bad the GS sales are

The 4GS is much better car than the 3GS was, has GREAT reviews, Huge Incentives with great lease pricing.....Yet sales are much lower, what gives???

I expect the 5series and Eclass to outsell it - but not by 3 to 1 margins. Crazy

Glad to see the IS start strong, I hope its a hit for Lexus........so we can get a COUPE version finally!!

Quick Reply: June 2013 Sales Thread