Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Old 11-14-13, 08:16 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

This thread really highlights the benefits and excitement of having multiple manufacturers with varied goals available to us. I like the Q50, but for me, the IS was more in line with my tastes. For others, the Q50 will be exactly what they want in a car.

We can argue on which one is better, but there is never just one answer, in black and white. It depends on so many variables.

Something for everyone! I love it! And SimTide985, congrats on your new ride! She's beautiful!
Old 11-14-13, 08:46 AM
SimTide985
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDR76
This thread really highlights the benefits and excitement of having multiple manufacturers with varied goals available to us. I like the Q50, but for me, the IS was more in line with my tastes. For others, the Q50 will be exactly what they want in a car.

We can argue on which one is better, but there is never just one answer, in black and white. It depends on so many variables.

Something for everyone! I love it! And SimTide985, congrats on your new ride! She's beautiful!
Ya know, if my dealer had the IS that I wanted (as advertised) on the day that I walked in and if they were offering more on my G37 trade-in, I'd be in an IS right now...
Old 11-14-13, 11:06 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SimTide985
I wasn't counting out your words. I'm just pointing out how your attitude came across in your post. Your intentions were obvious, especially now after this post.
Text has connotations. Assumptions are dangerous

Originally Posted by LexFather
Hoovey has actually been one of the most vocal people in regards to what the IS needs to improve. I know, we have butt heads about it a few times and I love him like a brother** He's also stated the Q50 interior is a high point.

However overall, we both agree ( I put 3k miles on one) as do most reviews so don't expect a standing ovation. Congrats on the new ride.
Am I a broken record yet?

fixed** for you

__

JDR76 summed it up nicely:

We can argue on which one is better, but there is never just one answer, in black and white. It depends on so many variables
With the Q50 and IS being just two of many great choices, buyers are bound to find something tailored more towards them. Eventually an equilibrium will be struct so it'll come down to visual and badge preference. Specs and dimensions won't vary much. And to add to that the Jaguar XS will come to play in this segment soon too.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 11-14-13 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-15-13, 07:44 AM
SimTide985
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-03-13, 04:19 PM
Hoovey689

Default Infiniti Q50 steer-by-wire system took 10 years to develop

Infiniti Q50 steer-by-wire system took 10 years to develop

Infiniti's Direct Adaptive Steering (DAS) is quite a novelty - the system employs no physical connection between the steering wheel and the front wheels under normal circumstances and instead relies on a computer, clutch and steering-angle actuator to guide vehicles down the road with input from the driver.

In our First Drive review of a 2014 Infiniti Q50 equipped with the system, we weren't overly impressed by the artificial feedback. But we can't help but be impressed with how long Infiniti spent on its development: a full 10 years, according to Autoline Daily in the video report below. A staggering 70 percent of the research and development time spent on DAS was devoted to getting the steering feel right, and unfortunately, our first impression suggests their results still leave something to be desired, as we found it lacked the sporty feeling a sport sedan should have.

The weight of DAS is comparable to that of a conventional steering system due to its complexity. For example, three ECUs are used in the first-generation DAS system to ensure there's never a loss of steering, but Infiniti is refining the technology and is working to simplify it to reduce weight. One day Infiniti hopes that only one ECU will be needed to control DAS. We just hope it doesn't take the Japanese automaker another ten years to get the steering feel right.
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A130yDHLToc#t=95

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/03/i...n-years-video/
Old 12-03-13, 07:35 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

So what's the point of this system? Even if the long term goal is to reduce weight, how much weight is there to be lost?
Old 12-03-13, 07:46 PM
Hoovey689

10 years and a significant number of reviewers and consumers are not sold on this steer-by-wire system.
Old 12-03-13, 09:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
10 years and a significant number of reviewers and consumers are not sold on this steer-by-wire system.
Needed 10 more years….but even without it, the steering is nowhere as good as the G37.

The thing is, it likely is the future….

Old 12-03-13, 11:45 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexFather
Needed 10 more years….but even without it, the steering is nowhere as good as the G37.

The thing is, it likely is the future….
no avail to motorsport enthusiasts but its perfectly fine to daily driving. I had no issues with it during my extended test drive
Old 12-04-13, 07:45 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

You have to give Nissan credit where credit is due. It is the first mass-market steer-by-wire system, and, as such, there are no previous ones to learn from. I would expect that the next one (by either Nissan or Honda or BMW) will be that much better as they will have an existing, operational one to study, but also have real-world drivers' experience with the system to learn from.

As this was the first such system, the ten years was probably spent equally developing standards (engineering and safety standards) as much as on hardware and software engineering design and development. They would have to know and understand the exact, expected behaviour (what happens when you turn the wheel, what happens if a minor or major bump in the road or crosswind turns the car off course, etc.) before they start building it.

As the article suggested, this first system was probably over-engineered and subsequent ones will be less complex and lighter with fewer parts. Steering "feel" will no doubt increase also.
Old 12-04-13, 08:09 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
So what's the point of this system? Even if the long term goal is to reduce weight, how much weight is there to be lost?
theres a lot of packaging improvements, no more steering shaft, which improves the safety ratings, reduces weight, reduces system size. Everything seems to be moving this direction already: throttle by wire, electric power steering, etc. This is probably the next step
Old 12-04-13, 08:24 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
theres a lot of packaging improvements, no more steering shaft, which improves the safety ratings, reduces weight, reduces system size. Everything seems to be moving this direction already: throttle by wire, electric power steering, etc. This is probably the next step

There is still a steering shaft as a mechanical backup if the power fails and/or all 3 ECUs die.

This is the next step in drive-by-wire technology but I myself would not want to drive a car that does not have some sort of mechanical backup: I would want to know that I can still steer and brake the car if all power suddenly dies (even if just to be able to push a dead car to the side of the road).
Old 12-04-13, 09:01 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took 10 years to suck? Pity...So much time wasted it would seem.
Old 12-04-13, 09:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
There is still a steering shaft as a mechanical backup if the power fails and/or all 3 ECUs die.
Yes. It's operated by an emergency mechanical clutch that connects the rack and the steering-shaft, by-passing the electronics, but I don't know how it works in detail.

This is the next step in drive-by-wire technology but I myself would not want to drive a car that does not have some sort of mechanical backup: I would want to know that I can still steer and brake the car if all power suddenly dies (even if just to be able to push a dead car to the side of the road).
I'm with you on this one.
Old 12-04-13, 09:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
it is cost cutting..

spectacular failure of engineering since everyone hates it.

As to its positive features, like line steer, you can find those in other cars without steer-by-wire.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread