Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Elon Musk confirms Tesla Model S battery swaps, demo coming this week

Old 06-18-13, 12:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Elon Musk confirms Tesla Model S battery swaps, demo coming this week

Elon Musk confirms Tesla Model S battery swaps, demo coming this week

For something as secret as a battery swap option in the Tesla Model S electric vehicle, we sure have heard rumors about it for years. Four (!) years ago, after all, we knew that the Model S was designed to accommodate battery swaps and Tesla CEO Elon Musk has talked about taking long-distance EV trips that included battery swaps, and Tesla's proprietary Supercharger network was supposed to have a battery swap component at one time. But then the discussion shifted to focus on that Supercharger network, and how, by stopping for lots of 20-minute sandwiches along the way, a cross-country EV road trip would be totally doable. And, for a while, the Tesla battery swapping talk disappeared.

Until, of course, Musk brought it back a month ago by tweeting: "There is a way for the Tesla Model S to be recharged throughout the country faster than you could fill a gas tank." That set off a fresh search for information, which we now know we will be cleared up later this week.

Yesterday, Musk tweeted: "Live pack swap demo on Thurs night at 8pm California time at our design studio in Hawthorne. Seeing is believing." He also tweeted that Better Place founder Shai Agassi "actually got the idea from a visit to Tesla. The idea is obvious (many things allow battery swap), but the technology is not."

We have so many questions about this new option: does it apply to all Model S vehicles? Will it be free, like Supercharging? Will the swap locations be at Tesla stores, Supercharger stations or at other locations? Why is Tesla thinking of battery swaps when it's also been so bullish on its fast-charging technology? We'll try to find answers to all of these questions when the first public swap is performed live on Thursday.

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/06/18...o-coming-this/
Old 06-18-13, 01:37 PM
Hoovey689

Pop a new battery and it's like the energizer bunny for your Tesla S hah
Old 06-18-13, 01:41 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a long time I've talked about battery swapping being the only way I will ever take EVs seriously, and Tesla is now going to make it a reality? Simply amazing if they can pull it off. Go Tesla!!
Old 06-18-13, 04:08 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Wow, impressive.. between the extended miles per charge on their battery packs, the supercharging station network, and the ability to quickly swap out batteries, Tesla will successfully be able to quell the concerns that so many potential buyers have had about EVs. This is amazing news. I really hope they pull it off. Can't wait to see the demonstration on this!
Old 06-18-13, 05:20 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

might be the pickiness in me, but I dont want other people using my battery
Old 06-21-13, 12:07 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Electric car maker Tesla unveils 90-second battery pack swap

(Reuters) - Tesla Motors Inc on Thursday unveiled a system to swap battery packs in its electric cars in about 90 seconds, a service Chief Executive Elon Musk said will help overcome fears about their driving range.

The automaker will roll out the battery-swapping stations later this year, beginning along the heavily-traveled route between Los Angeles and San Francisco and then in the Washington-to-Boston corridor.

"There are some people, they take a lot of convincing," Musk said at an event at Tesla's Los Angeles design studio. "Hopefully this is what convinces people finally that electric cars are the future."

Electric cars have been slow to catch on with consumers because of their high price, limited driving range and lack of a charging infrastructure. Tesla has been working to address some of those issues with fast-charging stations and now with the battery-swapping technology.

A battery pack swap will cost between $60 and $80, about the same as filling up a 15-gallon gas tank, Musk said. Drivers who choose to swap must reclaim their original battery on their return trip or pay the difference in cost for the new pack.

Musk demonstrated two Model S battery pack swaps in the time it took for a car on a screen above the stage to fill up with gas, about four minutes.

The stations will cost about a half a million dollars each to build. They will be located alongside Tesla's fast-charging stations, which take around 30 minutes to charge the car's battery.

Musk told Reuters earlier this week that the battery-replacement network would entail an investment of $50 million to $100 million.

In contrast to several traditional automakers that have rolled out electric vehicles that failed to live up to expectations, Tesla has sold thousands of its luxury electric cars. Investors have embraced the company's strategy and Tesla shares have nearly tripled this year.

The announcement comes a month after Better Place, an electric vehicle company whose business was centered around battery swapping, said it would liquidate.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...95K07H20130621

I think $60-$80 makes sense and is a fair price, though IMO I think it should be closer to $60 than $80. A regular car driving cross country will not need to stop for gas as often as a Tesla driver, so will not be filling up as often. However, with the labor involved in swapping out a pack, the higher $80 pricing also makes sense.

I think the idea of them allowing customers to take the new pack home with them and having customers pay the difference is interesting, but I wonder how they will calculate the "difference"?
Old 06-21-13, 12:32 AM
Hoovey689

90 Sec that's pretty convenient
Old 06-21-13, 11:25 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

A battery pack swap will cost between $60 and $80, about the same as filling up a 15-gallon gas tank, Musk said. Drivers who choose to swap must reclaim their original battery on their return trip or pay the difference in cost for the new pack.
Hmm that makes it more expensive than gas then, especially since most cars run quite a bit more than 300 miles on 15 gallons of gas.

Still it's a good step in the right direction.
Old 06-21-13, 02:21 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

and here's the demo....

Old 06-21-13, 04:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Very cool!
Old 06-21-13, 05:08 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

very awesome indeed
Old 06-21-13, 05:46 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Wow thanks for the closeup video I had no idea it's fully automated with no labor involved. This is way too cool!!!
Old 06-22-13, 05:17 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tesla S changed battery in 90 secs

Old 06-22-13, 05:32 AM
JessePS

Thanks for the videos.
Old 06-22-13, 07:29 AM
kevq35
Driver School Candidate

That lady was funny, "OMG, it's the new battery!" I had to laugh...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Elon Musk confirms Tesla Model S battery swaps, demo coming this week