Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MyFord Touch getting buttons and knobs back to counter criticisms

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-13, 10:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MyFord Touch getting buttons and ***** back to counter criticisms

MyFord Touch getting buttons and ***** back to counter criticisms

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/myfor...photo-4588530/

Ford deserves credit for being a front-runner in offering advanced infotainment technology with its Sync and MyFord Touch systems, but continued consumer complaints over its confusing touchscreen interface and capacitive controls has made the automaker relent. The Wall Street Journal reports that physical buttons and ***** for controlling tuning and volume will be coming back to Ford vehicles equipped with the controversial infotainment system.

The 2013 F-150 with MyFord Touch gives us a glimpse of what the new layout with buttons and ***** might look like, as Ford says a similar balance of touch screen capability and buttons/***** are what's being planned for future models. And, while capacitive controls have no fans in the halls of Autoblog, many of Ford's models with MyFord Touch do have a large physical **** for adjusting volume with integrated buttons for tuning and advancing tracks, though most of those are models with the optional upgraded Sony Audio system. Lincoln models with MyLincoln Touch, however, feature only capacitive controls for all stereo and climate functions.

Despite receiving enough complaints to throw buttons and ***** back into the mix (a move that reminds us of BMW's iDrive trajectory, among others), Ford reports that Sync and MyFord Touch have still been sold on 79 percent of its 2013 model year vehicles, a number it claims is double the rate that Honda and Toyota are getting for their infotainment systems. Ford also states that owners who do opt for the duo of technologies are more satisfied with overall vehicle quality than those who don't have it.

While Ford's own numbers may show high rates of satisfaction, other surveys, specifically the J.D. Power & Associates Initial Quality Study, have taken a hit in recent years on account of new owners reacting to MyFord Touch and its buttonless capacitive controls. Ford's ranking in the IQS plummeted to below average in 2011 after the system's debut, which prompted a significant update for MyFord Touch the following year that fixed bugs, improved the user interface and improved the voice recognition. Nevertheless, Ford still ranked below average in the 2012 IQS survey, and today's news of physical buttons and ***** returning to the center stack comes just two days before the release of results for J.D. Power's 2013 IQS. Another system update will be released the summer, and Ford has increased warranties for all models equipped with the system.

SYNC and MyFord Touch Sold on 79 Percent of New Ford Vehicles, New Technology Drives Quality Satisfaction

SYNC® and MyFord Touch® sold on nearly 80 percent of 2013 Ford vehicles, double the sales mix of infotainment systems sold with Toyota and Honda vehicles, and up from 68 percent in 2012; MyFord Touch mix of 55 percent increased from 12 percent in 2012

Customers with vehicles equipped with MyFord Touch have a higher rate of satisfaction with overall vehicle quality for most models compared to those that do not have the advanced infotainment system

Ford customers cite voice command and touch screen features as top purchase drivers much more often than competitors; Ford Escape owners prioritize them twice as much as the segment average

Ford improves MyFord Touch quality by more than 50 percent since launch, plans another upgrade in summer 2013

DEARBORN, Mich., June 17, 2013 – Ford SYNC® voice-controlled connectivity and MyFord Touch® touch screen technologies are attracting more customers and selling at a much higher rate than competitors, as MyFord Touch helps drive higher customer satisfaction with vehicle quality.

Combined, SYNC and MyFord Touch are sold on 79 percent of new 2013 Ford vehicles, double the rate of Toyota and Honda vehicle infotainment systems and up from 68 percent in 2012. This includes a MyFord Touch mix of 55 percent from 12 percent in 2012.

SYNC and MyFord Touch connectivity technologies – launched in 2007 and 2010, respectively – remain a competitive advantage as customers cite voice control and touch screens as top purchase drivers much more often than competitors. For example, 53 percent of 2013 Ford Escape owners say the touch screen is a top purchase reason compared to a 22 percent segment average.

"Ford has launched 60 new technologies the past few years and they are helping attract many new customers in important markets such as the coasts," says Raj Nair, group vice president, global product development. "SYNC and MyFord Touch are key parts of our innovation strategy, and not only bring more new customers to our brand, but help deliver higher satisfaction with overall vehicle quality."

Ford vehicles with MyFord Touch are helping improve perceptions as customers who own vehicles with the system are more satisfied with overall vehicle quality compared to those who don't have the technology. The Ford F-150 with MyFord Touch has the highest rate of quality satisfaction across the Ford lineup, at 86 percent.

F-150 blends touch screen capability with traditional buttons and *****, a similar balance planned for future Ford vehicles.

Young buyer connections
The innovations also are attracting younger buyers. For example, the new 2014 Ford Fiesta will now offer MyFord Touch, adding to other features such as a navigation system, rear camera, leather seats and a sunroof not available in the segment.

Fiesta already is drawing a younger audience of 46 percent Gen Y and Gen X buyers, compared to Toyota and Scion's 36 percent subcompact average. Fiesta innovations are differentiating the car as SYNC is cited as an important purchase reason by 54 percent of buyers compared to a 37 percent average for Toyota's connectivity technology.

Quality progress
Ford continues to refine SYNC and MyFord Touch, including another downloadable upgrade planned for this summer. Previous upgrades already have helped improve quality responses by more than 50 percent.

"We are committed to listening to our customers and improving MyFord Touch to keep drawing in new customers and increasing satisfaction with even higher quality," says Nair.

Ford's dealership personnel and dedicated connectivity customer service line also have become competitive advantages in an era of new automotive technologies. Customers who seek dealership assistance with SYNC or MyFord Touch report a 91 percent satisfaction rate.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/17/m...ter-criticism/
Old 06-18-13, 01:19 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

What would you focus more on?
1) All the lies Ford has said the last two years claiming there's nothing wrong with SYNC?
2) Ford taking the initiative to rush a fix and listen to customer's complaints?
Old 06-18-13, 09:15 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MyFord Touch was one of the major reasons I dumped my Ford Edge within one year of ownership. I won't consider any Ford or Lincoln vehicle equipped with that garbage system.
Old 06-18-13, 11:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

HOORAY!

Like I've said many times......newer and/or more-complex is NOT always better.
Old 06-18-13, 04:08 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
What would you focus more on?
1) All the lies Ford has said the last two years claiming there's nothing wrong with SYNC?
2) Ford taking the initiative to rush a fix and listen to customer's complaints?
The complaints were not related to SYNC. SYNC and MyFord/MyLincoln touch are different. You can have SYNC without the Infotainment system. The complaints were with the infotainment system. SYNC would be compared to OnStar. The Ford/Lincoln touch system do work much better than they did a couple years ago.

IMO, I liked using the sliders and not having the buttons, seemed easy to figure out. I have driven many hours in Lincolns equipped with MyLincoln touch and never had an issue. I enjoyed playing around with the infotainment systems. I would rather have the Ford touch system than some other cars I've seen that looked like they had 1,000,000 different buttons.

I am glad Ford is listening to customer feedback to hopefully make a better system. Just because it worked for me doesn't mean it's a great system. Everybody I sold a Lincoln to really did like the MyLincoln touch, although they did say it took some practice to get used to.

I'm also curious how the Cadillac CUE system will work out, seeing as how it's basically the same thing as the MyLincoln touch system. I might be biased since I sold Lincolns, but the CUE system did look more difficult to use than the Lincoln system.

Sorry if that seems disorganized, long day at work.
Old 06-18-13, 09:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

^
CUE is already getting trashed by reviewers and the media. I'd surmise consumers will be similarly annoyed by it like Ford's system. Perhaps Cadillac even knows this already, as they have dedicated an entire ATS commercial highlighting a young lady making it look simple. (Very annoying commercial at that- she's talking so fast you can't understand what she's saying).
Old 06-19-13, 09:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dc893
Everybody I sold a Lincoln to really did like the MyLincoln touch, although they did say it took some practice to get used to.
How do your customers like the finger-slide volume/fan-speed electronic strips on the new MKZ's console? I recently did a full-review on a new MKZ, and found them gimmicky and somewhat awkward to use, especially if the car is going over bumps.

Old 06-19-13, 04:13 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=mmarshall;7997895]How do your customers like the finger-slide volume/fan-speed electronic strips on the new MKZ's console? I recently did a full-review on a new MKZ, and found them gimmicky and somewhat awkward to use, especially if the car is going over bumps.

I only sold a few MKZs before I quit working at the dealership. Most of the customers seemed to like the sliders they just took some getting used to. They do work much better than the other models with similar sliders.

Everybody is different and some people can adjust to the sliders easier than others.

I did spend 10 hours driving in a 2013 Hybrid MKZ and I thought it was a very quiet and comfortable ride.
Old 06-19-13, 05:38 PM
Hoovey689

I like the MKZ. One of my biggest gripes is the antenna. This is 2013 for goodness sake, shark fin NOW!!

Old 06-19-13, 06:23 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

I would rock an MKZ. I'd probably have the infotainment down quickly. I have an uncle who owned Lincolns for years. My first cross-country road trip was in an 85 Lincoln Town Car. Most comfortable ride ever. I really want Lincoln to succeed.
Old 06-20-13, 06:03 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I like the MKZ. One of my biggest gripes is the antenna. This is 2013 for goodness sake, shark fin NOW!!

You won't see a sharkfin antenna nor a rear window-grid antenna because of the movable roof. They may be able to put a sharkfin on the windshield header or forward portion of the roof that stays in place but that is so seldom seen -- other than GM trucks with OnStar -- for some reason.
Old 06-20-13, 06:38 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
You won't see a sharkfin antenna nor a rear window-grid antenna because of the movable roof. They may be able to put a sharkfin on the windshield header or forward portion of the roof that stays in place but that is so seldom seen -- other than GM trucks with OnStar -- for some reason.
If you look there's an antenna sitting on the black portion of the trunk too, most likely for GPS. Something tells me an internal antenna didn't meet Ford's FM/AM reception standards and they weren't willing to compromise. A lot of modern cars get pretty terrible AM radio reception due to their antenna designs.
Old 06-20-13, 06:44 AM
nikko2jzge
Driver

The cool factor is there, but I can see it getting old and frustrating. Especially for those who have shaky hands.
Old 06-20-13, 08:32 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
If you look there's an antenna sitting on the black portion of the trunk too, most likely for GPS. Something tells me an internal antenna didn't meet Ford's FM/AM reception standards and they weren't willing to compromise. A lot of modern cars get pretty terrible AM radio reception due to their antenna designs.
Now that you mention it, I see it. It looks like a satellite antenna (Sirius / XM radio or GPS navigation system), as you said.

A window grid antenna on the back window would be blocked by the roof when it is down, so, yeah, that would affect reception. A window grid antenna in the windshield would likely mean embedded wires that are too close to the driver, affecting visibility.
Old 06-20-13, 10:43 AM
Hoovey689

Well doesn't matter how they do it, just that antenna is out of date and does not belong on this sleek vehicle

Quick Reply: MyFord Touch getting buttons and knobs back to counter criticisms