Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Special-Review: 2013/2014 Porsche Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-13, 10:39 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The original Boxster, from what I remember, had a 5-speed manual and Tiptronic automatic. Dual-clutch automanuals and 6MTs hadn't been developed back then. Even with the original drivetrains, though, the late-90s Boxsters (at least by my standards) could still get out of their own way.
Regarding powertrain carryovers, I was referring to last year's model/generation.

I didn't get a chance to compare on Porsche's website.

Technically, ALL Boxsters are Spyders (if you accept the definition of "Spyder" as meaning "convertible"). To my knowledge, there were no production hardtop Boxsters......which is why the Cayman was developed.
I was referring to the latest Boxster Spyder (MY 2011 only), which cut weight be offering radio and A/C as options, lots of carbon fiber, and other weight-saving measures such as cloth door handles in the interior, no hood props, no cupholders, no storage bins, no convertible-top mechanisms (you pull the cloth top taut when closing the trunk), and other somewhat-ingenious (and sadistic) methods.

So ingenious that this particular Boxster was almost the same weight as a BMW Z3!

An excellent question. You might have to ask the Porsche marketers that one.
It makes the Boxster sound like Porsche's best bargain. Suntan (or sunburn) comes standard.

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 06-18-13 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-18-13, 11:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Regarding powertrain carryovers, I was referring to last year's model/generation.
From what I could find on its history, the former-generation (Porsche 987) actually had two parts (a 987 Gen I and Gen II) within the larger 2Gen model-run...yes, I know it sounds confusing. 2Gen Gen I models used 2.7L and 3.2L flat-sixes and 5 speed manual/5-speed Tiptronic automatic. 2Gen Gen II models used a slightly more powerful version of the 2.7L and a 3.4L, with a 6-speed manual or 7-speed PDK (dual-clutch). From there came the present 3Gen 981 model.....with the specs I outlined in the review (those new specs came from the Porsche web site).

(How Porsche comes up with the specific 9** numbers for each generation, though, beats me......)

It makes the Boxster sound like Porsche's best bargain.
Yep. Hank probably wouldn't have bought one otherwise.
Old 06-19-13, 11:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

P.S. Any idea why the Cayman is more expensive than the Boxster? I mean, convertible versions of a coupe are typically more expensive, but the Cayman/Boxster counters this generalization.
Here, BTW, are some possible explanations:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7151636AAUzWCe

http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-b...n-boxster.html

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/page1....qdtl6ftbg
Old 06-19-13, 07:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The last I heard, my other friend is still driving his 1997 Boxster....the one he waited over a year for when he ordered it brand-new.
Old 06-19-13, 09:57 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Sorry for your loss.

Great review goes without saying. Until this latest iteration of the Boxster I really had no interest and always found them to be too feminine for my tastes. This one however had changed my mind (though I still probably prefer its hardtop sibling Cayman).
I never thought much of the Boxster and considered it an unreliable, wanna-be Porsche until I actually got to, you know, drive one . . . at Laguna Seca through the famous cork screw. A year later I had my own Cayman (not so much a convertible fan) which has also been to Laguna.

The Boxster is just fun to drive.

Old 06-19-13, 10:23 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

I didn't get a chance to compare on Porsche's website.
The 987 (Boxster / Cayman) engine was completely redesigned starting in MY 2009, with more horsepower, DFI and elimination of the dreaded IMS issue (Google that if interested). Also, the Tiptronic auto transmission was replaced with the much better PDK double-clutch transmission. (No major change in the manual gear box option throughout all this.) That and some minor style changes defined the change from 987 Gen 1 to Gen 2 (987.1 to 987.2).

The 981, starting with 2013 MY Boxster and 2014 MY Cayman, provides a redesigned larger, lighter and stiffer chassis, but not much difference in the drive train - about 5 HP increase at each level. The 981 also brought electric assist steering and an electric parking brake. The 987 wheels evolved from 17" to 19" options and the 981 seems to have 19" and 20" options.

BTW, the 911 series has gone through a similar evolution from 996 to 997 to 991, usually a bit ahead of the Boxster / Cayman.

The owner of this beautiful 981 Boxster told me her only complaint about the car was that the on-or-off (no in-between) nature of the electronic parking brake did not help when navigating the steep hills in San Francisco.

Old 06-19-13, 10:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TerrySmith
I never thought much of the Boxster and considered it an unreliable, wanna-be Porsche until I actually got to, you know, drive one . . . at Laguna Seca through the famous cork screw. A year later I had my own Cayman (not so much a convertible fan) which has also been to Laguna.

The Boxster is just fun to drive.

I never doubted it's accolades, as its a solid performer. I just don't like the styling as shown in the picture. Well that is until this latest Boxster came to be. Much more masculine than previous gens
Old 06-19-13, 10:43 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

A special (in memoriam of a friend) Review of the 2013/2014 Porsche Boxster. . .

RIP, Hank. RIP, James.

MM
Anyway, Thanks MM for the excellent, comprehensive review. And since your review did include a bit of Boxster history, I wanted to remind everyone that the first entry-level, 2-seater, mid-engine Porsche was not the Boxster, but the 914 like this 1973 CanAm Limited (aka bumble bee):

Old 06-20-13, 01:08 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great review as always MM, sorry to hear about your buddy.
Old 06-20-13, 07:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Great review as always MM, sorry to hear about your buddy.
Thanks.

He's not the first auto enthusiast friend I've lost to cancer, but there was a more rational explanation for the first one. (His name was Kurt). he had once worked on school buses (including brake-linings) and, for a time, had been regularly exposed to asbestos, which is a known carcinogen. Hank, in contrasts DID spend some time in the Navy (some Navy positions did have asbestos exposure)...but in much lesser amounts.
Old 06-20-13, 07:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Anyway, Thanks MM for the excellent, comprehensive review.
Sure...glad you enjoyed it.

And since your review did include a bit of Boxster history, I wanted to remind everyone that the first entry-level, 2-seater, mid-engine Porsche was not the Boxster, but the 914 like this 1973 CanAm Limited (aka bumble bee):
Whenever I do a full-review, it usually includes, in the OVERVIEW section, a bit of the car's (or manufacturer's) history. That helps the reader understand what leads into the latest-generation of the car (if it is not an all-new vehicle) that is being reviewed.

I remember the 914 well...it was introduced when I was in college. It was marketed under the Porsche nameplate, and many enthusiasts did not consider it a true Porsche, but more of a 2-seater VW.
Old 06-20-13, 08:12 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Mike,

I bow to you sir... condolences for your friend and a special review which outshines all others

Kudos.... with my hat over my heart... well done and thank you for sharing
Russ
Old 06-20-13, 08:57 AM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

I remember the 914 well...it was introduced when I was in college. It was marketed under the Porsche nameplate, and many enthusiasts did not consider it a true Porsche, but more of a 2-seater VW.
Designed by Porsche and built by VW - except most of the 914-6s were also built by Porsche. I consider it a Porsche.

Subject 981 is made in Finland but bears the Stuttgart crest - also fine by me.

Thanks,
Old 06-20-13, 05:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Designed by Porsche and built by VW - except most of the 914-6s were also built by Porsche. I consider it a Porsche.
Actually, I never test-drove a 914 (that I can remember), so I can't describe in detail how it drove. Many Porsche enthisiasts, though, even if the car was in fact designed by Porsche, were not impressed with it. They likened it more or less to a mid-engined VW.

Subject 981 is made in Finland but bears the Stuttgart crest - also fine by me.
Fine by me, too. The Boxster was never meant to compete with less-expensive sports cars. It pretty much carved out a niche all its own.
Old 06-20-13, 05:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Mike,

I bow to you sir... condolences for your friend and a special review which outshines all others
Thanks, Russ. I did put a fair amount of time and effort into it.... more so than than usual.

Quick Reply: MM Special-Review: 2013/2014 Porsche Boxster