Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Apple unveils iOS for the Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-13, 09:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Apple unveils iOS for the Car

Today at Apple's 2013 Worldwide Developer's Conference, the House That Jobs built debuted iOS in the Car, an upcoming feature for iOS devices that mirrors what your iPhone can do on your car's in-dash screen. A perfect port of your iPhone's screen wouldn't work, since its dimensions don't match those of most in-dash screens, so what you'll see, according to the demos shown by Apple on stage, is something like an auto-optimized version of the iPhone's new operating system, iOS 7.

Apple says that 95 percent of vehicles sold today are already able to work directly with iOS devices for music and playback control, but iOS in the Car will expand that functionality to also include phone calls, maps/directions, and sending and receiving iMessages using your vehicle's screen or eyes- and hands-free using Siri. It's basically Apple making a move to replace the built-in hardware and software that came with your car, and makes us wonder how automakers will react to all those iPhone users circumventing the OEM's own full-featured infotainment and navigation systems in favor of mirroring Apple's.

We'll find out soon enough, as Apple already has a pretty big list of automakers on board to integrate iOS into their cars by 2014. The list includes Honda, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Ferrari, Chevy, Infiniti, Kia, Hyundai, Volvo, Acura, Opel and Jaguar.

Source and Video:
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/10/a...s-for-the-car/
Old 06-11-13, 12:39 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

very cool. In the end the infotainment segment is evolving the fastest of any feature I can think of. Well that and the uncrashable car
Old 06-11-13, 12:52 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts
Default iOS in the Car

Anyone else bummed to not see Lexus rolling out iOS in the Car in 2014? Seems like it could easily be integrated into our UI. I hope Lexus is developing something soon!
Old 06-11-13, 04:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Today at Apple's 2013 Worldwide Developer's Conference, the House That Jobs built debuted iOS in the Car, an upcoming feature for iOS devices that mirrors what your iPhone can do on your car's in-dash screen. A perfect port of your iPhone's screen wouldn't work, since its dimensions don't match those of most in-dash screens, so what you'll see, according to the demos shown by Apple on stage, is something like an auto-optimized version of the iPhone's new operating system, iOS 7.

Apple says that 95 percent of vehicles sold today are already able to work directly with iOS devices for music and playback control, but iOS in the Car will expand that functionality to also include phone calls, maps/directions, and sending and receiving iMessages using your vehicle's screen or eyes- and hands-free using Siri. It's basically Apple making a move to replace the built-in hardware and software that came with your car, and makes us wonder how automakers will react to all those iPhone users circumventing the OEM's own full-featured infotainment and navigation systems in favor of mirroring Apple's.

We'll find out soon enough, as Apple already has a pretty big list of automakers on board to integrate iOS into their cars by 2014. The list includes Honda, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan, Ferrari, Chevy, Infiniti, Kia, Hyundai, Volvo, Acura, Opel and Jaguar.

Source and Video:
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/10/a...s-for-the-car/
AB as usually not even understanding what they are writing about.

How will Automakers react to consumers using feature automakers added to their cars... I think they would be pleased, no?

Last edited by spwolf; 06-11-13 at 05:09 AM.
Old 06-11-13, 05:31 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Will be a big winner. Haven't operated an infotainment OS where I have been satisfied. This is the one area that automakers shouldn't mess with. --Too hard to optimize,deliver updates, subscription confusion, etc.
Old 06-11-13, 06:01 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Megafast13
Will be a big winner. .
yep, probably, but they couldn't come up with a cooler home screen than that??? looks kinda plain blah.

I'd much prefer Apple just push to integrate the iPad or mini in there.

Last edited by bagwell; 06-11-13 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-11-13, 08:12 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts
Lightbulb Apple iOS in the Car - not for Lexus/Toyota?

Apple announced basic details on iOS integration with cars, but it looks like Toyota and Lexus are not currently participants.

Just wanted to know what everyone here thought about it:
-do you want it or do you have another alternative?
-why is Lexus not on the list? greed?
-what makes it so great?

Time for some groupthink!
Old 06-11-13, 08:16 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Two relevant articles:
1. Basic details of "iOS in the Car" http://blog.caranddriver.com/apple-a...er-conference/
2. What happened to Siri Eyes Free? (Toyota was supposed to support it) http://www.imore.com/whatever-happened-siri-eyes-free
Old 06-11-13, 08:43 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

...and FWIW, Mercedes-Benz has some of this functionality that became recently available as a dealer-installed upgrade to 2013/4 vehicles. I was pretty well set to have it installed on my SLK when it arrives. The unfortunate thing is now that it's available, it would appear they made the hardware exclusive to the iPhone 4 and 4S -- the website says the iPhone 5 will not be supported until late this year (I'll pray that's to tie in with "iOS in the Car" some way). IMO, it would seem MBZ was trying to be ahead of the game as they are with lots of these technology things, but messed-up with their implementation -- as even customers who have or do buy the current implementation will need new hardware to make the more-than-a-year-old iPhone 5 work some day. See this site for a demo, and this page for the original Daimler press release.

My personal desire is to have "iOS in the Car" because I first want Siri interaction -- it understands me most of the time. My Lexus voice recognition has not since 2006 and does not even in my 2013. My other thought is Apple's standardization is a GREAT thing -- in theory, it would provide documented hardware and software interfaces for car mfgrs to interface to and has the possibility to be as robust and "standard" as Bluetooth has become between smartphones and our rides some day. There should also be less mis-steps like MBZ seems to have made trying to do their own thing (and many others did with early proprietary iPod interfaces years ago). We should also see more functionality then be made available vs. each car mfgr doing their own thing trying to build unique apps and interfaces into their vehicles, the update process, keeping things current, adding new functions, etc. (which most mfgrs are very very very slow at doing the way "un-standardized" things are now, and I suspect is part of the reason for slow adoption rates from even customers that love technology like me.)
Old 06-11-13, 09:05 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Apple ain't the center of the universe, so I think ToMoCo can play with generalized apps and such that can accommodate to multiple operating systems.
Old 06-11-13, 09:13 AM
abqpete
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me too. I put that as a desire in the last survey they sent me. Maybe 2015 or 2016...
Old 06-11-13, 09:21 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Ain't going to happen. Apple keeps a tight lid on their IOS crap. It's one thing for NAV to interface with IOS but you won't ever see IOS running NAV for the same reason no other manufacturer has IOS on their phones.

Besides IOS is outdated garbage. Android FTW!
Old 06-11-13, 09:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

it seems silly... so you have to get iOS hardware in your car, but you can activate it only by using iPhone... so if you dont have iPhone, what then?

Toyota's Entune is actually something similar, but works on both iOS and Android.
Old 06-11-13, 10:56 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it seems silly... so you have to get iOS hardware in your car, but you can activate it only by using iPhone... so if you dont have iPhone, what then?

Toyota's Entune is actually something similar, but works on both iOS and Android.
I think thats the point, to help sell more iphones.
Old 06-11-13, 12:01 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not liking any of iOS in my car. I'd rather have an infotainment system that can stream OS such as Android, Blackberry OS, Firefox, iOS, Ubuntu, and Windows Phone. Android is a bigger market, why stick with iOS?

Quick Reply: Apple unveils iOS for the Car