Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motortrend: Luxury Diesel SUV Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-13, 12:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Über amounts of torque but that name is ridiculous
Old 06-11-13, 02:37 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Just thought I'd post the finishing order of the C&D test:

1. Volkswagen Touareg TDI
2. Porsche Cayenne Diesel
3. Mercedes ML350 Bluetec
4. Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel
5. BMW X5d (current gen)

After reading the article, I found C&D's conclusion to be much more believable. I've found myself questioning MT's conclusions lately.
Old 06-12-13, 05:57 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
You can't go wrong with either of the four. No question about that

However, since I guess we're referring to the American market, perhaps BMW should release what is available for the European market..........into the North American market:

BMW X5 M50d XDRIVE

DROOL!
Old 06-12-13, 06:15 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Just thought I'd post the finishing order of the C&D test:

1. Volkswagen Touareg TDI
2. Porsche Cayenne Diesel
3. Mercedes ML350 Bluetec
4. Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel
5. BMW X5d (current gen)

After reading the article, I found C&D's conclusion to be much more believable. I've found myself questioning MT's conclusions lately.
Have not driven the others but I guess it makes sense. They said it was really 1st place for the Touareg and pretty much a 4-way tie for all the others. Would explain how the two mags could get completely different results if the cars really are that close.

They dinged the X5d for being noisy. Well I guess, this is something I've learned can be pretty subjective though. If an engine is noisy, that can be ok so long as you like the soundtrack, which my wife and I both do. The only objectionable noise our diesel makes is when going from idle to light acceleration, there's some audible harsh combustion noise but only for an instant, and you only hear it from the outside or if you've got the windows down. Otherwise we like the purring and chugging that the powertrain makes, but yeah it's definitely not silent and I don't think we'd want it that way either given that we like the sounds it makes.

Cargo and interior space is definitely a bit cramped in the X5 too. They throw the battery in the back for weight distribution, which raises the cargo floor and also cuts down on cargo space a bit. I don't think the Benz is setup like that but I could be wrong. Third row seats only available on the X5. We use them all the time, and that was one of our big reasons for buying this thing. Our kids are 4 and 6 and we commonly stuff them back there when we've got other adults along. They don't particularly like it and visibility isn't that great, but give them their iPod Touches and they're fine. The extra space of a minivan would be handy for us nowadays, but the X5 fits in our garage with 2 inches to spare. Any larger vehicle and it'd be getting parked outside.

Just gotta say it, 6-cylinder diesels are great! I hope more manufacturers come out with them. Nobody really "needs" more than 240-260hp, and the torque and efficiency are amazing. Very seriously considering the 328d next year, if I don't keep my E93. Should be about as quick as our X5, which is plenty quick, and get mid-40 mpg highway. Not sure if I'll like the soundtrack of a 4-cylinder diesel as much though. Will have to see. Big diesel fan here though, no doubt. More please!