Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Personal Review: Ford Escape vs. Honda CR-V vs. Mazda CX-5 vs. Toyota Rav4

Old 06-04-13, 02:53 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Personal Review: Ford Escape vs. Honda CR-V vs. Mazda CX-5 vs. Toyota Rav4

I recently moved out of the city (to the northern suburbs) and am now commuting about 70 miles round trip per day, and it quickly came to my attention that the GS was eating a little too much gas, 5 days a week. After a very happy, trouble-free and solid 5 years, I've spent the last two weekends car shopping for something to replace the GS. My budget is ~$30,000 but the field of contenders has been very open, ranging from a new to used, Subaru BR-Z to the Honda Accord and Toyota Highlander.

I test drove the new Accord and Altima, as well as a new Camry. I also considered used options like a GS 460 and M37, but after five years in a sedan, I was just ready for something different and began to focus on CUVs and SUVs. A few years ago, I'd never have assumed I would be in this position, but as we grow up, I guess our needs and priorities tend to change a bit. I've gotten tired of worrying about curbing wheels and scratching front lips, so the simplicity of a CUV is very appealing to me. Safety and efficiency are high on the list too, as well as utility.

I started out looking at some of the midsize options like the Highlander, Explorer and new Pathfinder, as they currently have pretty attractive lease rates that drop them down into my budget for monthly payments. I quickly realized that this was more car than I needed as a single guy, and with my current commute, the terms of a lease would leave me paying significant overages. At first I was weary of the idea, but I decided to drop down a class and start looking at the entry level car-based CUVs.

Almost every entrant into this class is new and the level of technology that you can get in something as basic as a Rav4 is downright astonishing. I had been worried about the idea of "downgrading" from my Lexus, but aside from the status associated with the badge, a few yards of leather and some wood trim, everything else is quite the opposite. Bluetooth, voice commands, advanced navigation systems, automatic everything, great sound systems, direct injection engines, 6 speed automatics, the list goes on. It's almost shocking how much things have changed in the last few years.

I did not consider the Subaru Forester, though it is a great option. I personally do not care for the design enough to disqualify it from the running. After researching and fact checking several options, below were my finds after extensively test driving several different grades of the Ford Escape, Honda CR-V, Mazda CX-5 2.5 and Toyota Rav4.

Fourth Place: Ford Escape
I have been admiring the look of the new Escape for a while now, as I find the Titanium trim in particular to be pretty sharp looking with LED DRLs, bigger wheels and body-colored trim. I drove the Escape after driving the CX-5 and CR-V, and between those two, the Ford struggles to impress:

Exterior: As mentioned above, the exterior of the Escape is attractive in my eyes. Like any of these vehicles, in lower trims it is less attractive, but the Titanium model was very sharp. Lots of nice detailing with the LED DRLs, big wheels, exposed exhaust, and it's a nice size, too. Rear lift gate was a trick option!

Interior: This was the Escape's major let down. Shiny black plastic trim seems to be in all of the right places across the dashboard to reflect sun directly into the driver's eyes. This quickly became rather annoying during my test drive - if i wasn't wearing my glasses, a pair of sunglasses would have probably solved the problem. Other parts of the interior quickly became problematic: thin feeling dash and door panels, misaligned trim pieces and an awkward design on the center console. Oddly, if the gear shifter is in park, some of the buttons in front of it are almost impossible to reach, as the shifter blocks access. More positively, the seating position was good for me (6ft, wider build) and the general level of comfort inside the cabin was great. Outward visibility was good as well.

On the road: The Escape falls roughly midpack in terms of acceleration, handling, steering and ride. Handling is predictable and sure-footed, though not particularly confidence-inspiring like the CX-5 or Rav4. The ride was generally compliant, but there was some bouncing and harshness, no doubt due to the larger wheels...not quite as smooth as the CR-V.

Verdict: I was turned off by the Escape's interior accommodations but enjoyed the vehicle's overall demeanor. The one factor that ultimately tossed the Escape out of the running was a $33,000+ window sticker for the 1.6L EcoBoost model optioned similarly to the other contenders.

Third Place: Honda CR-V
I am admittedly not a huge fan of much of what Honda is doing lately, but since the CR-V is often seen as the benchmark in this class, I wanted to drive it regardless. I have a few friends with CR-Vs and they all seem to love them with nothing but positive comments to share, so I was actually somewhat excited to take it for a spin.

Exterior: In my eyes, the CR-V is the ugly duckling of this group. Yes, it's inoffensive, but overall the CR-V looks one or two generations old compared to the others.

Interior: What the CR-V lacks in design flair, it makes up for with refinement and quality. The CR-V's interior felt a cut above the others in this test with soft touch plastics and vinyl, leather, faux wood trim and aluminum accents. Much like the exterior, parked next to the CX-5 and Rav4, the interior of the CR-V really lacks character and presence. The dashboard and instrumentation look much like the previous model, just after a minor nip and tuck. Most of the surfaces are flat and rather uninspiring compared to the competition. Once again though, what is lost in design is compensated for in overall quality.

On the road: Much like the uninspiring but competent interior, the CR-V was predictably stable, smooth and enjoyable on the road. The Honda's refined manners made it easy to sit back and relax during highway driving, but it did not offer quite the "bite" that the Rav4 or CX-5 provide when the pavement gets twisty. The other two were not as smooth on the road, but I am willing to give up some smoothness for tighter handling and better feedback.

Verdict: I viewed the CR-V as the "Camry" of this group - it does everything well but it's just not particularly inspiring. The design and the drive are both predictably enjoyable and simple, but I was personally looking for a little more than what the CR-V had to offer.

Pause: As you will read going forward, the distance between 2nd and 3rd is much larger than it was between any other two finishers. The Ford had plenty of great qualities, but the low-rent interior and high price knocked it out of the running without a second thought. The CR-V was a polished but uninspiring entry that left no real lasting impression on me. The CX-5 and Rav4 are the clear standouts in this class; moreso than a 1, 2, 3, 4 place finish can convey.

Second Place: Mazda CX-5

Mazda has always been my favorite "underdog" brand and I've got a sweet spot for almost every model in their lineup today. The CX-5 was high on my list considering Mazda's reputation for making sporty, fun to drive vehicles that have also proven to be quite reliable. Needless to say, the CX-5 did not disappoint.

Exterior: In my eyes, the CX-5 was one of the most attractive contenders here, if not the very best looking. Some of the proportions look a bit stubby, but the overall design is clean, interesting and attractive. I drove the 2.5 Touring and Grand Touring models but quickly found the additional value offered in the Grand Touring to be worth the money. The larger wheels also make a big difference with the exterior appearance.

Interior: The interior of the CX-5 is simple but conservatively handsome. With companies like Ford and Toyota going with more radical interior designs, I can appreciate what the CX-5 offers: a cockpit that is simple and easy to use, but understated and attractive. Materials are very close to the CR-V in quality but there were some elements of the design that I was not so sure of. The infotainment system's screen placement looks like an afterthought and the capabilities are well behind the Rav4's Entune and navigation options. The cabin is also a bit more cramped and I was not able to get completely comfortable in the driver's seat. There is also less usable room in the second row. The CX-5's perforated leather seats get the nod over Toyota's SofTex material.

On the road: Not surprisingly, this is where the Mazda really shined. The CX-5's handling is sure footed and competent, well above the Escape and CR-V and just nudging out the Rav4. Mazda has also struck a nice balance here between firmness and comfort. The AWD system felt planted on the road and the CX-5 generally felt athletic and nimble. The 2.5L engine had a little more grunt than some of the others, and my butt-o-meter tells me it's probably a little faster than any of the others in the real world.

Verdict: The CX-5 does everything very well: it drives beautifully, it looks great, the interior is nice and uses high quality materials, the engine and transmission work flawlessly together...so why didn't it win? Well, let me explain...

First Place: Toyota Rav4

Mentally, at the outset of this adventure, the Rav4 came in roughly mid-pack among the others. After two days of back to back test drives against the CX-5, it ultimately won my heart over in a few key categories.

Exterior: I will start by saying that I find the CX-5 to be generally more attractive than the Rav4. The Toyota has angles where it looks good, and most of the models I have seen on the streets have been "lesser" LE and XLE models. The Limited takes things to a different level with larger alloy wheels, a roof rack and a few other nice touches. As odd as it sounds, the CX-5, to me, looked like it could be a few years old (despite still being a very good looking ute). The Rav4 looks a little more fluid and up-to-date, at the expense of having some quirky elements like the chrome whiskers at the front and and the loss of LED tail lights. I ultimately chose the Magnetic Gray Mica exterior color which jives well with the black plastic cladding - it's a little more masculine looking than some of the other options. In this color, I really like the Rav4.

Interior: This is another area where I was rather unsure of the Rav4 based on pictures. In fact, in any color other than black, I really dislike it. Toyota is on a streak of trying to make interiors look fun and interesting by experimenting with colors and textures, and a large swatch of gray or orange trim across the dash looks ugly, IMO. Also, the open space in front of the passenger's seat is odd, but with the black interior, it blends in a bit better. One area where the Rav4 excelled over the CX-5 was usable space. Despite being nearly identical on paper, there is something about the Toyota's cabin that feels considerably larger and more open. I had three other people in the car and it never felt claustrophobic or uncomfortable...the Mazda was considerably tighter.

Of note, while the CX-5's screen looks like a bit of an afterthought, the interior of the Rav4 seems to revolve around the dashboard's (available) Entune system, which is neatly integrated into the top level of the split dashboard. The Rav4's JBL sound system also gets a bit of a nod over the CX-5's Bose system.

The second level of the dash is a bit out of reach for drivers, and I think I might appreciate a more "one dimensional" dash layout like the CX-5. The flip side of that is that the Toyota's dash makes the interior feel more open. The carbon-fiber imitation material was also handsome on the black interior, but looked tacky on other colors. The Mazda's high-gloss, black plastic trim is not as nice looking in person.

SofTex. This seems to be a point of contention for some folks, but I really like the material. Quite frankly, I forgot that it was not leather until the salesman mentioned it. It was one of those things where you think to yourself, "Oh, now that you mention it - this does feel a little different." I doubt that most people would notice the difference or think twice about it. The Mazda's perforated leather seats get the nod here.

On the road: This is another place where I would give a slight edge to the CX-5,. The CX is a little more confidence-inspiring and the ride quality on both were very similar - firm and taut, but smooth enough for me. The Rav4's steering was a little firmer, which I appreciate. The AWD systems in both felt a little more buttoned-down and dialed-in than the other two.

The Toyota was a good bit quieter on the highway which is pretty important for me right now. Both had great engines and transmissions, with me giving a slight bump to the Mazda for power and efficiency. Quite frankly, I am surprised with just how strong the powertrains in both the Toyota and Mazda felt. Four cylinder engines have come a long way, and 6ATs go a long way towards reducing noise.

Verdict: After two days of back to back test drives at both Toyota and the Mazda, and as much as I hate intangibles, there was just something about the Rav4 that felt a little more comfortable to me. The cabin was a little larger and more user-friendly, the navigation system was much better than the Mazda's, the sound system was a bit stronger and highway cruising was quieter, despite still offering 8.5/10ths of the driving fun offered in the CX-5. I plan to purchase, so another large consideration for me was resale, where the Toyota will surely be worth more in a few years time than the Mazda.

I cannot fault anyone for choosing the Mazda - it's an amazing CUV that does many things very well. After driving this fleet of vehicles, it felt to me like the Rav4 offered the best of every other model: A design that is more interesting and futuristic like the Escape, the smoothness and quietness of the CR-V, and driving dynamics and an AWD system that come close to the CX-5. All of this is wrapped in an attractive package that is competitively priced with great technology and features.

I've got to wait for mine to be built, but it's a Magnetic Gray Limited AWD model with Black SofTex interior. Entune, Navigation and JBL sound, as well as cross bars for the roof rack and a tint. Out the door for less than $30,000, too.

Anyone want to buy a 2003 GS 300 Sport Design?
Old 06-04-13, 03:03 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, lovely review, I could tell your excitement yesterday when we chatted. I really think this review was well done in explaining tangibles and as you stated "intangibles".

Good luck on your purchase! Your 2GS was sweet with that saddle leather!
Old 06-04-13, 03:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice review and congrats on selecting a ute. All four are strong contenders but it really comes down to personal preference. My own ranks them CX-5, Escape, Rav4 and CR-V in that order.
Old 06-04-13, 03:25 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

The Escape Titanium has the upgraded 2.0L EcoBoost engine with like 240HP... It was still only mid-pack in terms of speed??
Old 06-04-13, 03:29 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
Mike, lovely review, I could tell your excitement yesterday when we chatted. I really think this review was well done in explaining tangibles and as you stated "intangibles".

Good luck on your purchase! Your 2GS was sweet with that saddle leather!
Thanks man! It's a change, but I am excited to go with something that's just generally carefree for the next few years. I appreciate the kind words about the GS!

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Nice review and congrats on selecting a ute. All four are strong contenders but it really comes down to personal preference. My own ranks them CX-5, Escape, Rav4 and CR-V in that order.
Thanks Hoovey. Each one really does have a unique set of talents and weaknesses, and the good news is that there are really no "bad cars" here, per se. Can't fault you for liking the CX-5...it's awesome!

Originally Posted by whoster
The Escape Titanium has the upgraded 2.0L EcoBoost engine with like 240HP... It was still only mid-pack in terms of speed??
The Titanium model that I drove had the 1.6L EcoBoost since the 2.0L model is a bit more expensive. The Escape does have some features that the others do not, like the panoramic roof, but it's still priced a few thousand dollars above the competition when similarly equipped and those features are not exactly worth the money to me personally.
Old 06-04-13, 03:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

great review, and congrats!

how was the purchasing/haggling experience on the rav 4?
Old 06-04-13, 04:10 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

What I am curious is, the reason you want a different car is for higher fuel efficiency, assuming to save cost of gas, not saving the world.

Selling your GS for a new RAV4 will cost you ~$22k.

You are saving ~$800 a year in gas cost from the 6 MPG higher of the RAV4 for your 70 miles a day, 5 days a week.

So you will break even after 27.5 years in 2040 and then start saving gas money from that point?

Last edited by BNR34; 06-04-13 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-04-13, 04:25 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 563 Likes on 385 Posts

Congrats on the buy! We're actually looking to pick up the CX-5 AWD touring this weekend and noticed many of the things that you did. The wife is shorter than you (5'7ish) and the size of the CX-5 was perfect for her. It was a big step up in terms of size from her Yaris, but the tighter interior made it seem less big. The real leather vs fake leather was a nonstarter for her because she prefers cloth (go figure).

Definitely agree about the screen size though. The 5.8 inch screen is a bit lacking in the Mazda and I'm not so high on the TomTom powered nav
Old 06-04-13, 05:17 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
What I am curious is, the reason you want a different car is for higher fuel efficiency, assuming to save cost of gas, not saving the world.

You are saving ~$800 a year in gas cost from the 6 MPG higher of the RAV4 for your 70 miles a day, 5 days a week.

So you will break even after 27.5 years in 2040 and then start saving gas money from that point?
Lol wow....talk about number. Ayways, i wondered that too, why not a prius ?
Old 06-04-13, 05:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

he also probably wanted new car...
Old 06-04-13, 05:37 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
I am sure he just want a new car, using MPG as an excuse.

I am just calling him out
Old 06-04-13, 05:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

MPLexus301 - thanks for the review... I was sitting in Honda, Mazda and Toyota recently and Rav4 seemed like most optimal overall... Mazda had some great things, and then some not so great things (for instance some materials inside were shiny and nice and some were shiny and really not nice), it is kind of up and down. Honda was odd man in the pack, weird things with design, inside and out.
Old 06-04-13, 05:44 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Whitigir
A new Prius would take him 8.5 years to break even. He is tired of his current GS in 5 years.

Saving gas money is never a valid reason to buy a new car
Old 06-04-13, 06:38 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great review, and congrats!

how was the purchasing/haggling experience on the rav 4?
Thanks, Paul! This is the first new car I've ever purchased and even going into it, I was dreading the sales process based on familiar stereotypes of sleazy salespeople. Every single person that I worked with at Ford, Honda, Mazda and Toyota was truly awesome. No pressure, easy going and laid back, and also very helpful. Once my Toyota guy realized that I was not buying anything on the lot or currently in their inventory, he was happy to help me build the car exactly as I wanted. They also gave me a price that was competitive with the CX-5 and treated me professionally through the whole transaction. Overall, I have nothing but good things to say about each of the dealers I visited.

Gas is a big part of it, but as I mentioned above, I'd like to worry less about curbing wheels, damaging front lips and side skirts...and the new technology that's in cars is worlds beyond what is available in my GS.

Originally Posted by Allen K
Congrats on the buy! We're actually looking to pick up the CX-5 AWD touring this weekend and noticed many of the things that you did. The wife is shorter than you (5'7ish) and the size of the CX-5 was perfect for her. It was a big step up in terms of size from her Yaris, but the tighter interior made it seem less big. The real leather vs fake leather was a nonstarter for her because she prefers cloth (go figure).

Definitely agree about the screen size though. The 5.8 inch screen is a bit lacking in the Mazda and I'm not so high on the TomTom powered nav
Congrats!! When you guys get it, put up some pics. I'd love to see the car!

Originally Posted by Whitigir
Prius would not even remotely fit my needs lol. None of these CUVs are fast, but the Toyota and the Mazda are a lot of fun to drive, in addition to being pretty fuel efficient. I also want the AWD and ground clearance for trips to our mountain home.

Bingo! It was time

I am sure he just want a new car, using MPG as an excuse.

I am just calling him out

MPLexus301 - thanks for the review... I was sitting in Honda, Mazda and Toyota recently and Rav4 seemed like most optimal overall... Mazda had some great things, and then some not so great things (for instance some materials inside were shiny and nice and some were shiny and really not nice), it is kind of up and down. Honda was odd man in the pack, weird things with design, inside and out.
Agree. The Rav and CX both have their pros and cons, but IMO, both are also head and shoulders above the CR-V. For another buyer, who is just looking for a nice interior and a smooth ride, the CR-V is a fine choice, but even then, IMO, at least the others have a little character. Honda resale and reliability are selling points for some people I guess.

Also, it's worth noting that it was immediately obvious that the CR-V was the only one I tested with a 5AT. The others were quick to up and downshift with 6ATs, but the CR-V was holding gears and droning a bit in certain situations.

A new Prius would take him 8.5 years to break even. He is tired of his current GS in 5 years.

Saving gas money is never a valid reason to buy a new car
It really was a big part of the decision. Right now my GS is burning through about 1/4 tank a day. Highway speeds here average ~80mph...not kind to a high revving I6 with a 5AT.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 06-04-13 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-04-13, 07:10 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I doubt very much if you'll see better mileage in an AWD SUV vs your GS.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Personal Review: Ford Escape vs. Honda CR-V vs. Mazda CX-5 vs. Toyota Rav4