Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds 100 Ugliest Cars of All Time

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-13, 05:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

2010 Prius is not ugly either... fail list.
Old 05-20-13, 07:42 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chnk
wished they posted pictures for all these cars, i don't feeling searching for pics
+1!
Old 05-20-13, 07:49 AM
LexFather

Meh list, a lot of uglier cars/SUVs that are not included that I won't mention

Old 05-20-13, 08:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

2. 1977 Lincoln Versailles: A rushed response to the original Cadillac Seville, it was a Ford Granada with a half-*** Continental kit. A 1979 face-lift changed the roof profile, but made the car even uglier.
Come on....that's nonsense. I realize that styling is objective, but I don't think that very many people (and certainly not me) would call this the second-ugliest car of all time. And, though Ford Granada-based, it was actually a pretty nice entry-level luxury car.

Old 05-20-13, 08:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Meh list, a lot of uglier cars/SUVs that are not included that I won't mention
I'll bet I can name at least one you're thinking of...the present Acura TL.

In fact, to be honerst, I don't know why it's not on the list either. Back to the issue, I guess, of styling being objective.
Old 05-20-13, 08:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

BTW, if it wasn't for the fact that they are so hilarious-looking and that I get a good laugh every time look at one, I'd name the BMW Isetta, Messerschmitt KR200, and Corbin Sparrow #1, 2, and 3.

Old 05-20-13, 11:52 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Come on....that's nonsense. I realize that styling is objective, but I don't think that very many people (and certainly not me) would call this the second-ugliest car of all time. And, though Ford Granada-based, it was actually a pretty nice entry-level luxury car.

Notice one of its contemporaries, the '82 Chrysler New Yorker Fifth Avenue looked very similar . . .

I bought one of these (used) for my business partner after her Town Car went Tango Uniform in '85. It was an outstanding value and proved trouble free for years.

BTW, if it wasn't for the fact that they are so hilarious-looking and that I get a good laugh every time look at one, I'd name the BMW Isetta, Messerschmitt KR200, and Corbin Sparrow #1, 2, and 3.
But we have to remember these were postwar designs meant to fill the needs of basic transportation for minimal investment. Europe was an economic shambles after the war and a number of micro-cars of questionable engineering were put on the road. Yeah, they were odd looking, not much more than glorified motorcycles, but at least they kept (most of) the rain off during your commute to work.
Old 05-20-13, 12:41 PM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that lambo looks like a bunch of paper airplanes put together and painted grey
Old 05-20-13, 12:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by KeyKeeper
that lambo looks like a bunch of paper airplanes put together and painted grey
wow it's gotta be sooo light!!

Why use carbon fiber when you have Papier-mâché!!
Old 05-20-13, 01:37 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad had an Isetta. The first time I saw that thing I thought it was a toy lol. I got to ride in it, and it was small, and I'm a little guy.
Old 05-20-13, 02:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The only Lexus I would consider to be on the list would be the 2001-2006 ES330 and the 2007-2012 ES350.
Interesting, I can see where you would think that about the 02-06 ES, but not the 07-12 ES. I think that generation ES is still a great looking car (I owned both of those generations)

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Notice one of its contemporaries, the '82 Chrysler New Yorker Fifth Avenue looked very similar . . .

I bought one of these (used) for my business partner after her Town Car went Tango Uniform in '85. It was an outstanding value and proved trouble free for years.
My Dad had an 87 Fifth Avenue, we loved that car. I remember the ridiculously tufted corinthian leather seats and the landau roof with opera lights, the crystal hood ornament, it was a cool car back in the day.
Old 05-20-13, 03:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
I knew the SC430 will be on the list....but i still love it, especially the interior
The SC was a nice looking car once they got those ugly *** plate wheels off the car and put some wheels on it that actually look like they belong on a car and not on a piano. The interior is still impressive today
Old 05-20-13, 03:56 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the Merkur XR4ti not on this list???

Old 05-21-13, 09:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X

The engines/transmissions in these cars, like with most older RWD Chrysler products, were irtually bullet-proof, but you (usually) couldn't say that for the rest of the car. With the FWD Chrysler products, not even the drive trains were reliable.

But we have to remember these were postwar designs meant to fill the needs of basic transportation for minimal investment. Europe was an economic shambles after the war and a number of micro-cars of questionable engineering were put on the road. Yeah, they were odd looking, not much more than glorified motorcycles, but at least they kept (most of) the rain off during your commute to work.
Yes, I realize that. Gas was scarce and expensive in Europe for years after the war, and many cars were essentially enclosed three or four-wheeled motorcycles. I still get a good chuckle, though, out of the way some of them looked.

Messerschmitt, BTW, switched from aircraft production to auto production after the war because it was forbidden by the occupying Allies.

The Corbin Sparrow, BTW, was not a postwar econobox, but a full-electric car that went out of production just a few years ago after the company failed.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-21-13 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-21-13, 02:40 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I agree that the Prius and the SC430 are both hideous.

Cars that should be on the list that aren't: Honda Element, Toyota Previa, Dodge Caliber, 07+ Tundra, 07+ Silverado/Sierra.

Quick Reply: Edmunds 100 Ugliest Cars of All Time