Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Getting rid of my IS350, should I get an M5, S4, or IS-F?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-13, 07:05 AM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Getting rid of my IS350, should I get an M5, S4, or IS-F?

To make a long story short, my IS350 is my first car. Got it senior year of high school and owned it for 3 years now and put 20K miles on it. It's been a decent car and got lots of compliments over time. However, it's gotten more issues than I would expect out of a Lexus. It's been to the dealer 10 times for warranty work with repair bills adding up to $5K. Recently, I just messed up my engine and I'm 400 miles out of warranty. Depending on what happens, they might warranty it, partially pay for it, or I'm on the hook for it. $5K in parts are needed and $4K in labor is needed.

Although I don't want to, it's probably time for me to get rid of it once I get this issue fixed. I'm debating which car to get afterwards. My options are an BMW E60 M5, Audi B8 S4, or the IS-F.

I want the S4 since it does have AWD so it's a bonus not having to "need" putting on snow tires like I do now. It's also the cheapest at about $30K with 50K miles.

The '06 M5 has the most power and the best sounding exhaust ever. $33K is the one I'm looking at with 50K miles.

And of course the IS-F but that's nearing $40K but the techs at Lexus say it's a reliable car cause not often do they go to the dealer but I just think that's because they are rare.

Of course, I'm going to test drive them soon but not until I get my car back from repairs. Dealers aren't going to take me too seriously when a 20 year old walks in asking to test drive an S4 and M5 lol. What would you guys choose?
Old 05-17-13, 07:15 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

here's the obligatory warning about german cars shtty reliability....if you had issues with a Lexus, BEWARE of the Germans!

that said, if you hadn't owned an IS350 I would fully recommend the IS-F (and still do)....but I believe you will want to experience something a little different and would say go for a CPO'd S4.
Old 05-17-13, 07:20 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am with bagwell. I am not a fan of lexus or Toyota. But I am a consumer.

Reliability from Toyota and Lexus are unbeatable. Yet, M5 or S4 are both good vehicles with nice technology, and is of a Brand Name. I would still go with Lexus.

Just a Sole-Reason of Reliability. I would go with IS-F, if I was you
Old 05-17-13, 07:27 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

3 years and 20k miles?

If you don't plan to keep your next car for too long, nor are you going to drive it significantly, I say, go ***** out!

Just make sure it has great warranty coverage for the worst case scenario.

P.S. Add the XF-R as an option...
Old 05-17-13, 08:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Since you're in Chicago, a place with bad winters, I'd look at the S4 with Quattro. Or, for a lot less money, if you want a reasonable amount of power with good reliability, a Subaru Legacy 3.6R (too bad the Legacy GT was dropped this year).

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-17-13 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-17-13, 08:43 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Stay away from the M5, no reliability whatsoever. IS-F would be my choice.
Old 05-17-13, 10:44 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my S4. Nothing else at the price range competes with the every day usability, the size is perfect for me (wife is 6' tall w/ a 36" inseam and a car seat fits comfortably behind her), and the low end torque giving daily driving fun AND comfort (well, except the 335, but the AWD version can't keep up with the S4).

Of course, I bought mine CPO w/ 16.5k miles on it, so the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty discounts any issues of reliability as I don't plan on modding it.

If I were in your position, I personally wouldn't get any of those cars except the IS-F at the age and mileage you are looking at; you'd just be asking for expensive repair bills. And even an IS-F at that age is likely to have a few things go wrong.
Old 05-17-13, 10:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

if you already had IS350, maybe change? but make sure whatever else you get has warranty.
Old 05-17-13, 11:05 AM
Fly4u
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you consider the total cost of ownership over the years. I certainly echo the concern with aging German autos. Get the best CPO warranty possible, and find a trustworthy independent mechanic for the stuff not covered.

The price of insuring a 20 yr old with a high performance vehicle may also be eye-watering!
Old 05-17-13, 11:08 AM
balMaster
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't be comfortable with S4 or M5 because of the reliability reasons and also the repair cost. Even the regular maintenance costs more.
Old 05-17-13, 11:08 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ISF of course
Old 05-17-13, 11:23 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

My heart, emotion, and right foot says M5
Old 05-17-13, 12:18 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
My heart, emotion, and right foot says M5
That V10 engine (in the E60) was probably one of the best-sounding and most thrilling engines that BMW has ever made.

Old 05-17-13, 01:38 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't agree with the mindset of going for AWD and all-season tires just to avoid having to swap to winter tires. You'll have a more rewarding experience both in the summer and winter if you accept switching between high performance tires and a dedicated winter set. (I say this having had an IS F as a DD for a couple years in a place averaging 70"+ of snowfall annually.)
Old 05-17-13, 01:39 PM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ISF.

Don't forget that while the German cars are CPO'd there's still the PITA of continuously having to bring the car to the dealership for stupid, needless, repairs.

RWD in the snow is no issue.... I've been DD'ing RWD for several years now, in fact I had a, RB swapped 240sx that had no safety/traction/abs that was a champ in the snow

Jeremy

Quick Reply: Getting rid of my IS350, should I get an M5, S4, or IS-F?