Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Only 2 of 13 small SUVs do well in crash tests

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-13, 09:07 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Lesson learned: don't hit trees or utility poles.

And don't let trees and utility poles hit you!
If you do, try to hit it head on!
Old 07-12-13, 11:06 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
If you do, try to hit it head on!
Target fixation.

It works!

Old 07-12-13, 11:54 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Head-ons happen, but not as often. T-bones, rear-enders, and swide-swipes are more common.
T-Bone accidents are scary and have a real world potential for death and serious injury. Most square rear end accidents are minor and generally at traffic lights or stops signs or during stop and go traffic. The high spec rear end accidents are often offset accidents because the offending driver is making an attempt to avoid the collision. It's rare other than on YouTube Russian drives do you see a high speed square Rear end collision. Also, telephone pole impacts are common because when you think about it there is a telephone pole every so many feet on the side of the street. Anyone that veers off the road for whatever reason has a good chance of hitting a pole when it's every 50-100 yards or so

I guess people experience and perception is different depending on where you live and how your roads at build. Where I grew up in the country on a d Island, you have telephone/electric line poles all along the side of the road. Many of the roads are single lane divided roadways. Trees also line the side of the road. Most single car accidents are cars going off the road and hitting something on the side of the road.
Old 07-12-13, 12:10 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ydooby
Yes, but because these types of accidents happen more often they actually result in less fatality these days since a lot of efforts have been put into making cars safer in these situations. Small frontal overlap collisions on the other hand, currently make up around 25% of total fatal car accidents according IIHS, so by improving safety standard in this regard the total fatality rate can be reduced significantly.
I would tend to agree. I'be only rear ended someone 3 times. That sounds like a lot, but the first time was after HS graduation and I fell asleep at a stop sign and rolls into the car in front of me. The 2ns time was in stop and go traffic and I stopped, but the car behind me rear ended me and pushed me I to the car in from of me. The 3rd time we were driving at highway speed. A car on the left lane cut in front of the car in front of me and came to a virtual stop trying to make an illegal right turn. The car in front of me barely had time to hit the brakes nd rear ended the car. I had some time to react, hit my brake and swerved to the left and clipped the car on the left side with my front right corner. Damage was to my right headlight, fender and bumper area. But that does show most accidents are overlapping edge to edge and not full square impacts.

My sisters accident in a CRV ironically was on the freeway driving in the left lane. The car next to her in the middle lane was side swiped causing that car to hit my sister sending her into the cement barrier at a 30-45 degree angle impacting the divers front edge first.
Old 07-12-13, 02:34 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

While I know they're far from alone in being caught off guard by this and it would not stop me from getting in one of their cars, it is pretty frustrating how Toyota/Lexus does not have one vehicle out of 5 tested that gets higher than a poor rating.
Old 07-12-13, 03:26 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
While I know they're far from alone in being caught off guard by this and it would not stop me from getting in one of their cars, it is pretty frustrating how Toyota/Lexus does not have one vehicle out of 5 tested that gets higher than a poor rating.
Same here. I never look at a cars safety rating when looking for a car to buy. Unless it's something crazy like exploding gas tanks on a Pinto or something. I grew up wearing no seatbelts, sitting on the lap of my mom in the front seat. Sure, it's it safe, but truthfully it's very low on my car buying Check list.
Old 08-29-13, 06:11 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

About time!! Hopefully the new midcycle changes can arrive soon enough.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...-crash-ratings

Toyota hustles to remedy low crash ratings
Midcycle changes to boost vehicles' small overlap safety

August 26, 2013 - 12:01 am ET
ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Toyota Motor Corp. is racing to make its cars stronger in frontal crash tests after some vehicles, including the RAV4 compact crossover, were stung by poor safety ratings.

Engineers at the Toyota Technical Center here have been reworking designs since last year, said Osamu Nagata, CEO of Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing North America Inc. and head of all local manufacturing and r&d.

Toyota plans midcycle vehicle changes so the cars perform better in so-called small overlap frontal crash tests, he said.

The tests, performed by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, simulate what happens when a driver crashes the left front quarter of his vehicle into an object such as a tree or pole.

They are not yet included in the federal government's five-star ratings. But researchers say they are responsible for an outsized share of driving deaths. The IIHS ratings have become a major marketing factor for brands that perform well.

In December, the Toyota Camry and Prius V fared at the bottom of the field among mid-sized sedans tested and were rated poor, the lowest designation. In July, the RAV4 racked up another poor rating despite getting updates to improve stability and padding.

"We are now implementing some design countermeasures to improve our small overlap results," Nagata said in an interview.

Fixes will be made "as soon as possible" to the RAV4 and other vehicles, Nagata said. He did not identify other nameplates.

"Each vehicle has its own countermeasure schedule," Nagata said. "As soon as designs are ready and parts are fixed, we'll have running changes for any vehicle, not only the RAV4."

Toyota would not say which vehicle gets the next upgrade. Nagata did not give details of the changes. But fixes likely will include strengthening structural parts, he said.

"We will make sure the customer feels safe," Nagata said. "Some products are still best safety picks under the IIHS recommendations, so this is our additional challenge."

Toyota spokeswoman Cynthia Mahalak said 21 Toyota, Lexus and Scion models were named 2013 Top Safety Picks by the IIHS.

But cars performing poorly in the small overlap test can still receive top-pick status if they perform well in the IIHS's four traditional tests. To get the best rating of Top Safety Pick+, the vehicle needs a good or acceptable small overlap result.

By that measure, only the Scion tC qualifies.

IIHS began using the tests last year but telegraphed the change to carmakers in 2009, institute spokesman Russ Rader said. Some manufacturers, including Honda Motor Co. and Subaru, were quicker to incorporate design changes than others, he said.

The IIHS released its latest batch of small-car test results this month. But it delayed testing of the Toyota Corolla because a redesigned car is coming to market soon.

Rader said the IIHS is testing the Corolla this month and will release its small overlap appraisal in a few weeks.

Last edited by ydooby; 08-29-13 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-29-13, 08:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Well that makes me a tad uneasy hah!
Old 11-07-13, 01:28 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

The 11-year-old XC90 (which went into production in August 2002) just got a GOOD rating in the latest small overlap crash test!! Freaking amazing Volvo!!! A true model example of engineering for safety rather than safety score!
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/volvo/xc90

Last edited by ydooby; 11-07-13 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-07-13, 01:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

That's most excellent. Always loved the XC90 when it offered the 4.4L Yamaha V8. Excited to see what's in store for this new generation!
Old 11-07-13, 03:55 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ydooby
The 11-year-old XC90 (which went into production in August 2002) just got a GOOD rating in the latest small overlap crash test!! Freaking amazing Volvo!!! A true model example of engineering for safety rather than safety score!
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/volvo/xc90

2014 Volvo XC90 small overlap IIHS crash test - YouTube
They've no doubt made changes to pass the test. Don't be delusional, a 2002 XC90 would not do well.
Old 11-07-13, 06:42 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
They've no doubt made changes to pass the test. Don't be delusional, a 2002 XC90 would not do well.
Pretty sure that there has to be enough evidence for the IIHS to be convinced that there had been no structural change since the model's introduction, to the point that they'd retroactively apply the rating to the vehicle's previous model years.
Attached Thumbnails Only 2 of 13 small SUVs do well in crash tests-iihs-xc90.png  
Old 11-07-13, 09:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

when you have kids this stuff means more and more. Never even considered rating like this when I bought my previous cars while I was buying. Now its at the top of my list when buying. Good to see Toyota trying to remedy the issue fast
Old 11-07-13, 10:22 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Well the XC kind of skidded off the barrier, which seems to be the case for many cars that get a Good rating.

Also, they probably did make changes, apparently its not that difficult. A lot of 2013 mercedes cars were getting poor and then they did something, so now the 2014s get good ratings
Old 11-08-13, 12:19 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That's most excellent. Always loved the XC90 when it offered the 4.4L Yamaha V8. Excited to see what's in store for this new generation!
I'm excited about the next-generation XC90 as well.

Actually, I'm excited about anything from Volvo.

Quick Reply: Only 2 of 13 small SUVs do well in crash tests