Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus is China's 3rd most sought after luxury car brand

Old 06-30-13, 11:27 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Lexus is China's 3rd most sought after luxury car brand

According to the findings of The World Luxury Index.

Even though their sales aren't as high as Audi, BMW, or MB, Lexus still has good perception in China, this is also my personal experience from discussing with those in China.

Cars – Audi (#1) and BMW (#2) maintain their leadership position in the luxury car segment. Lexus (in 3rd place), breaks the German trio, moving ahead of Mercedes (now 4th). Jaguar is the rising star, showing the fastest evolution (+5 places since last year) followed by Cadillac and Lincoln. Maybach, Ferrari and Maserati experienced the biggest losses in the category.
http://www.digital-luxury.com/#!/201...luxury-brands/
Old 06-30-13, 12:27 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great news for us, but kinda surprising. On one of my last visits to China, Buicks and Cadillacs seemed to be the talk of the town.

I really thought they'd be occupying spots 2 and 3.

And of course, Audi is MASSIVE there.
Old 06-30-13, 01:34 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Asian people love Lexus/Toyota in general.

9 outta 10 people in my HUGE family all have Toyota's
Old 06-30-13, 08:09 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Article is misleading IMO.

Lexus sells very poorly in China, yet its very sought after??? Makes no sense. (I know the dealer network is not as big as the other makes, but sales are very LOW.)

I know Lexus does well in Russia, but it has very weak sales in every market except for US and Japan.
Old 06-30-13, 08:14 PM
LexFather

Great news for Lexus.

Fyi Ferraris are highly admired and they sell 8,000 a year. The point is even with issues in China people desire a Lexus.

Old 06-30-13, 08:37 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Last time I checked Lexus is not an Exotic a la Ferrari or even Bentley.

Im sure if there was sufficient demand they would sell the Chinese couple hundred thousand RX and ES cars with no issue.
Old 06-30-13, 08:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Last time I checked Lexus is not an Exotic a la Ferrari or even Bentley.

Im sure if there was sufficient demand they would sell the Chinese couple hundred thousand RX and ES cars with no issue.
You missed the point. The jest of the article is about desirability not sales. We all know of Lexus challenges in China.

The point is even with those challenges the brand is still highly revered.

Old 06-30-13, 08:47 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Actually, this made me think of another issue with Lexus in China.

I was also suprised to see Lexus seen as desired because like RNM said, the low sales numbers. I think a partial reason why Lexus doesn't sell well in China is due to it's Japanese roots. I have a feeling there is still some lingering animosity towards Japan from China due to historical conflicts between the two nations. Thus, the low sales.

Mainstream cars like Honda/Toyota still sell high because they are utilitarian vehicles, but when a wealthy individual buys into luxury branding, a certain prestige and history follows with the purchase. In this case, Lexus, being of Japanse prestige might serve as a hindrance and reasoning for the low sales.

Interestingly enough, this is another possible issue with the other big Asian country, S. Korea. Relations between Japan and them have also been a bit on the tense side. Could be a reason why Korea's auto product line so intensely wants to compete with Japan's.
Old 06-30-13, 08:49 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blueprint
You missed the point. The jest of the article is about desirability not sales. We all know of Lexus challenges in China.

The point is even with those challenges the brand is still highly revered.
Im confused bec article makes zero sense.

If we are talking bout Ferrari - It makes sense. It can be #1 sought after / revered car but in terms of sales it is last bec its a niche car sold in small #s.

If Lexus is so sought after and respected why the hell is it being out sold by Land Rover for pete's sake?? It is not due to availability, bec its not a niche exotic Brand. Its is a global mass producing Luxury Automaker!

Are you saying that Tata-owned Land Rover is better equipped to manufacture/sell enough cars in China but Toyota-owned Lexus is not???
Old 06-30-13, 08:56 PM
LexFather

Im confused bec article makes zero sense.

If we are talking bout Ferrari - It makes sense. It can be #1 sought after / revered car but in terms of sales it is last bec its a niche car sold in small #s.

If Lexus is so sought after and respected why the hell is it being out sold by Land Rover for pete's sake?? It is not due to availability, bec its not a niche exotic Brand. Its is a global mass producing Luxury Automaker!

Are you saying that Tata-owned Land Rover is better equipped to manufacture/sell enough cars in China but Toyota-owned Lexus is not???
You seem to be hung up on sales in a thread about image and desire, not sales. If you want discuss sales we do have china/Lexus threads.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-in-china.html

Again the point of the article is Lexus is desired in china so if you want to say anything about sales, it is Lexus has opportunity there.

Old 06-30-13, 10:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

that website seems very self-serving and limited on source details. cool background video though.

on the about page, it says the company is "made up of a global team of digital and luxury professionals, experienced in all angles of the luxury business" nothing about market research or statistics.

but wouldn't be surprised if lexus is desired in china.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-30-13 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-30-13, 10:45 PM
doublehh03
Pole Position

No way you can tell me the "mainstream" luxury makers (Audi/BMW/Mercedes/Lexus/Infinity) are more "sought after" than a Porsche/Bently/Lambo/Maserati/Ferrari LOL.
Old 06-30-13, 11:32 PM
SDGSPW
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Asian countries, name brands are everything. Though considered a luxury brand, Lexus does not have the snobbish allure of BMW, Audi, and MB. Reliability and quality is second to "name respectability."

This is just the way it is in Asia. You have to understand the culture. If you live in CA, you see the same phenomenon in the Asian community. Some kids living at their parents house drive Range Rovers and BMWs.

Maintenance cost and saving up for a house of their own be damned.

Last edited by SDGSPW; 06-30-13 at 11:33 PM. Reason: mis-spelling
Old 07-01-13, 03:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Article is misleading IMO.

Lexus sells very poorly in China, yet its very sought after??? Makes no sense. (I know the dealer network is not as big as the other makes, but sales are very LOW.)

I know Lexus does well in Russia, but it has very weak sales in every market except for US and Japan.
thats because Lexus is very expensive since it is imported brand.. it is 30-50% more expensive than similar BMW.

I wouldnt buy it at those prices either... well I guess unless something really sucks with chinese built BMW's and Audi's
Old 07-01-13, 06:49 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
thats because Lexus is very expensive since it is imported brand.. it is 30-50% more expensive than similar BMW.

I wouldnt buy it at those prices either... well I guess unless something really sucks with chinese built BMW's and Audi's
I think some lower end Mercedes ( C class definitely) are built in China too for the local market.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus is China's 3rd most sought after luxury car brand