Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche 911(991) 2014-16 Models

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-15, 06:28 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

they had to make the grille ugly...... just because.?

body colored old one was better

Old 09-13-15, 09:23 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gengar
As far as a turbo finding its way into the GT4 - very unlikely. One of the (few) weaknesses of the midengine platform is that cooling is very difficult. Cooling was already an issue with turbocharging the M97.21 engine (987) according to the privateer Cayman racing teams, and Porsche apparently had to redo the front of the GT4 (including adding an additional cooling duct) just to have sufficient cooling for its engine. I'd have to think the new turbo engines will tax cooling far more than either of these.
I'm not sure I understand why cooling would be a bigger issue for a mid-engined car than it would be for a rear-engined one.They have about the same options for ventilation, don't they?

Also, if cooling was that big of problem, I would think that it wouldn't be the case that almost every serious supercar on the planet is mid engined, no matter the power output or presence of turbos (including even the Bugatti Veyron).

I know that it's harder to cool a mid-mounted engine than a front engine, but I would think Porsche's engineers could figure it out for a GT car. Even if it requires some [likely small] chassis changes in the 981.2.
Old 09-13-15, 11:47 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I'm not sure I understand why cooling would be a bigger issue for a mid-engined car than it would be for a rear-engined one.They have about the same options for ventilation, don't they?
In a rear-engined car, the engine is not only further from the main body/passenger compartment/etc., but there is more room along the body, which means more surface area as well as more space for intakes and exhausts. For example, just look at a 996 Turbo and compare it to a 981 Cayman and look how much more room there is around the engine compartment in each.

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Also, if cooling was that big of problem, I would think that it wouldn't be the case that almost every serious supercar on the planet is mid engined, no matter the power output or presence of turbos (including even the Bugatti Veyron).
But you're getting the design process out of order. Whether a car is mid-, front-, or rear-engined is one of the first things decided in the design. If an engineer wants to make a mid-engined car, it's going to be a mid-engined car. Even the engine is (or at least specifics of the engine are) at best secondary to that design decision. The cooling is usually even further down the list. Engineers will make the cooling work based on those other decisions.

So the relevant question is whether the 981 Cayman either 1) was designed to support or 2) is capable of supporting a turbo powerplant (and specifically the one that will go in the next 991). Obviously I don't know the answer to either of those questions - I'm just speculating. But that's why I brought up the privateer racing teams having trouble with a turbo M97.21 (notably, because the 987 was never designed for a turbo M97.21 engine). Even in the case of the C2S engine in the GT4, they had to add additional cooling.
Old 09-14-15, 11:49 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gengar
But you're getting the design process out of order. Whether a car is mid-, front-, or rear-engined is one of the first things decided in the design. If an engineer wants to make a mid-engined car, it's going to be a mid-engined car. Even the engine is (or at least specifics of the engine are) at best secondary to that design decision. The cooling is usually even further down the list. Engineers will make the cooling work based on those other decisions.

So the relevant question is whether the 981 Cayman either 1) was designed to support or 2) is capable of supporting a turbo powerplant (and specifically the one that will go in the next 991). Obviously I don't know the answer to either of those questions - I'm just speculating. But that's why I brought up the privateer racing teams having trouble with a turbo M97.21 (notably, because the 987 was never designed for a turbo M97.21 engine). Even in the case of the C2S engine in the GT4, they had to add additional cooling.
True, I was thinking about that. That's probably the strongest argument for cooling issues with the existing Cayman chassis (especially since Porsche's GT team claims that providing enough air to the 3.8-L was already a challenge). Porsche probably did not design the Cayman with the expectation of stuffing a powerful turbocharged engine in it.

My main point was just that the fact that the Cayman is mid-engined alone does not preclude it from having a higher power, turbocharged motor. The chassis may have baked in limitations, but I don't doubt Porsche could update the design to make it suitable for turbo power.

... And they likely will have to for the 981.2 since the turbos are probably going to trickle down by then.
Old 10-19-15, 05:08 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new 911 Carrera models feature an optional front-axle lift system, that raises the front end by approximately 40 mm. With this new system, kerbs, ramps and car park entrances are a sporting challenge of the past.
Old 10-19-15, 11:53 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I have to get one of these new 911's someday.
Old 10-21-15, 05:03 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

The logical place for belongings in a Porsche 911 is the luggage compartment at the front. This is key to good travel comfort, remarkable everyday practicality – and the strong individuality of an unadulterated sports car. The perfect basis for superlative sporty performance, which you can bring to the road day in, day out.
Old 11-06-15, 08:50 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

The 991 Porsche GT3 RS has heritage going back to the ultimate incarnations of the 911. Is it the best Porsche you can buy today?
Old 11-24-15, 06:54 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Has turbocharging ruined the 2016 Porsche 991.2 Carrera S? CAR magazine finds out...
Old 11-26-15, 10:58 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

We are always looking forward. Not sideways, never back. We don’t want to rest on the laurels of our past, no matter how illustrious it may be.

For the new 911, we started again from scratch with one single goal: to create the next 911, one that can do more, deliver more and consume less than ever before. A sports car as beautiful now as it was on day one.

That is our tradition. And our future. We will give it our all. For the best 911 of all times: the new 911.
Old 12-01-15, 07:20 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Great eminence does not come from making grand statements. Sometimes a single appearance suffices.

The new 911 Turbo. Power. Presence.

Porsche's just dropped the details on the new 911 Turbo and Turbo S. It's fast alright...
Old 12-02-15, 01:52 AM
OkiFD3S
Driver School Candidate

These are damn impressive.
Old 12-15-15, 06:39 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Presence requires a strong foundation. On the 911 Turbo models, this is the 3.8-litre, twin-turbo six-cylinder engine, which is characterized by extraordinary engine power and surprisingly low consumption. Watch this video below to learn more about the engine.
Old 12-23-15, 06:23 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Pushing the boundaries, extracting the maximum. For once, we are not talking about the engine here, but rather about driving enjoyment and driving comfort as a whole.

Can the mind blowing Porsche Cayman GT4 live with its bigger, more expensive brother, the Porsche 911 GT3 RS, on track? Watch as Steve Sutcliffe finds out on the famous Silverstone National Circuit...
Old 12-25-15, 05:02 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Road test editor James Disdale pits the all new Audi R8 V10 Plus against the Porsche 911 '991' Turbo. Which four-wheel-drive supercar comes out best - naturally aspirated or turbocharged?

Quick Reply: Porsche 911(991) 2014-16 Models