Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus wins another major handling comparison (this time with the 3IS IS350 f sport)

Old 05-06-13, 02:57 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry, but BMW is making huge strides in suspension and steering technology, as well as MB, Audi and Lexus... heck, even GM.

Traditional suspensions are a thing of the past. I know cars like BRZ or E46 M3 might feel purist, but they can't hold a candle to cars with active suspensions that control squat on launch, sway during turns, and can be adjusted to ride as soft as town car or as stiff as a sports car.

Electronic steering is a requirement for these new suspension technologies to work well. It will take some years for manufacturers to tune these systems to have the same feel as traditional mechanical systems, but there is no going back to the old stuff. Anyone who doesn't realize that, simply hasn't driven a modern bmw with M sport package.
Old 05-06-13, 03:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Sorry, but BMW is making huge strides in suspension and steering technology, as well as MB, Audi and Lexus... heck, even GM.

Traditional suspensions are a thing of the past. I know cars like BRZ or E46 M3 might feel purist, but they can't hold a candle to cars with active suspensions that control squat on launch, sway during turns, and can be adjusted to ride as soft as town car or as stiff as a sports car.

Electronic steering is a requirement for these new suspension technologies to work well. It will take some years for manufacturers to tune these systems to have the same feel as traditional mechanical systems, but there is no going back to the old stuff. Anyone who doesn't realize that, simply hasn't driven a modern bmw with M sport package.
What do you mean heck! Ferrari of all automakers borrows their Magnetic Ride Control. GM is one of the tops at suspension, they just choose not to implement it on many of their vehicles
Old 05-06-13, 08:07 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

The main point of the C&D comparo was that the M-Sport 335i had worse ride and worse handling than both the Cadillac ATS and the Lexus IS.

Even the choice of materials for the current F30 3 series suspension shows that BMW has allowed cost cutting to impact on its core values of handling : now the rear suspension has cheaper heavier steel links where previously the E90 suspension was all aluminium for less unsprung weight.

It seems like its BMW's competitors that have embraced the newer advancements in suspension technology and moved forwards whereas BMW is actually taking backward steps in the handling/steering/suspension department. The F30 3 series and F10 5 series no longer nail the ride-handling balance like the E90/E39/E60 of old used to do.

So chances are, "a modern bmw with M sport package" probably handles and rides worse than its immediate predecessor.

I think the C&D editors' assessment of the the modern day F30 335i M-Sport bears that out.

Last edited by natnut; 05-06-13 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-06-13, 09:52 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
What do you mean heck! Ferrari of all automakers borrows their Magnetic Ride Control. GM is one of the tops at suspension, they just choose not to implement it on many of their vehicles
I know that, many people just don't realize that a lot of suspension advancements were actually developed by GM.
Old 05-06-13, 10:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by natnut
The main point of the C&D comparo was that the M-Sport 335i had worse ride and worse handling than both the Cadillac ATS and the Lexus IS.

Even the choice of materials for the current F30 3 series suspension shows that BMW has allowed cost cutting to impact on its core values of handling : now the rear suspension has cheaper heavier steel links where previously the E90 suspension was all aluminium for less unsprung weight.

It seems like its BMW's competitors that have embraced the newer advancements in suspension technology and moved forwards whereas BMW is actually taking backward steps in the handling/steering/suspension department. The F30 3 series and F10 5 series no longer nail the ride-handling balance like the E90/R39/E60 of old used to do.

So chances are, "a modern bmw with M sport package" probably handles and rides worse than its immediate predecessor.

I think the C&D editors' assessment of the the modern day F30 335i M-Sport bears that out.
It might have had a worse ride/handling combo than the Caddy/Lexus - but that just goes to show how much the Lexus/Caddy have improved. As far as it being inferior to the outgoing model, thats nonsense. Even more so with the 5 series.

With that being said, F-sport and M-sport are expensive options. Most buyers aren't going to go for these. I wonder how traditional models perform.
Old 05-07-13, 07:17 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I know that, many people just don't realize that a lot of suspension advancements were actually developed by GM.
Haven't you heard? GM cars fall apart one year after you buy them.
Old 06-01-13, 07:35 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

The comparison test between the 2014 IS350 F-Sport, the BMW 335i M-Sport and the Cadillac ATS (Sport Pack) is now online :

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Old 06-01-13, 11:31 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
GM's MRC is light years ahead of many other companies' suspension system.

Last edited by cino; 06-01-13 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-01-13, 09:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by natnut
The comparison test between the 2014 IS350 F-Sport, the BMW 335i M-Sport and the Cadillac ATS (Sport Pack) is now online :

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Thanks for the update