Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds.com 2013 Honda Accord vs. 2014 Mazda 6 vs. 2013 Nissan Altima Comparison Test

Old 04-23-13, 01:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

All of these are winners. Such a competitive segment. To that end if given the choice between these 3, It'd be the Mazda6 in my garage
Old 04-23-13, 02:28 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No way would I buy that Altima. Not my kind of style, and no on the CVT.

And I'd have to test drive the Accord and 6 before I could decide, that would be a close call for me. That Mazda interior looks pretty stark, but the exterior has a lot of potential. And I am sure I would like the way the Maxa drives.

That Honda is just a solid vehicle. Nothing spectacular, but it does a lot well.

Last edited by KevinGS; 04-23-13 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-23-13, 02:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

what blows me away is the kind of features and creature comforts these belly button cars have. Insanely common but nicely appointed. I like the Altima but it is WAY too common for me . In fact all of them are. I like the styling on the Fusion the most but if it was my money I would go with the regular cookie cutter models like the Accord, Altima, and Camry
Old 04-23-13, 05:52 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-23-13, 08:31 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
No way would I buy that Altima. Not my kind of style, and no on the CVT.

And I'd have to test drive the Accord and 6 before I could decide, that would be a close call for me. That Mazda interior looks pretty stark, but the exterior has a lot of potential. And I am sure I would like the way the Maxa drives.

That Honda is just a solid vehicle. Nothing spectacular, but it does a lot well.
So you wouldn't mind the Honda's CVT?
Old 04-23-13, 11:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

nice video Motor - interesting the two reviewers don't agree.
Old 04-24-13, 12:14 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

The new Altima is one of those very few cars that actually looked better in pictures than in person. Something about the back-end doesn't line up right. I think it's the bottom of the taillights, which angle upward ever so slightly. They are skewed just enough to make the observer wonder if the factory assembled them in a sloppy manner. The new Sentra has tidier lines, dare I say.

Still, there are no losers here exept for maybe the Camry. What a dated and doudy dud compared to all it's modern an sleek brethren.

BTW, I believe the cars tested here were chosen due to newness. All are very recent additions or newly introduced. The Camry, Passat, and Fusion were last year's news.
Old 04-24-13, 08:39 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think there are any losers between those three cars. You can't go wrong with either of them.=)
Old 04-24-13, 10:41 AM
LexFather

So in the Camry vs Accord review they felt the Camry interior was of better materials and quality than the Accord. Might start a riot here

Old 04-24-13, 11:39 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

What gets me about these mid sizers... any of them, is that they are as well-equipped and in many ways just as sophisticated as some luxury cars of only a few years ago. The parity in the car market seems to be getting closer all the time.
Old 04-24-13, 11:52 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The new Altima is one of those very few cars that actually looked better in pictures than in person. Something about the back-end doesn't line up right. I think it's the bottom of the taillights, which angle upward ever so slightly. They are skewed just enough to make the observer wonder if the factory assembled them in a sloppy manner. The new Sentra has tidier lines, dare I say.
Completely agree with this. I notice the awkward back-end of the new Altima every time I get behind one and can't help but obsess over the off angle of those tail lights. IMO, it turns a luxurious design into a cheap one. It also makes the car appear smaller than it is, but not in a good way. Hopefully they will fix the tail lights and straighten them out on the refresh in a couple years?
Old 04-24-13, 12:04 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Completely agree with this. I notice the awkward back-end of the new Altima every time I get behind one and can't help but obsess over the off angle of those tail lights. IMO, it turns a luxurious design into a cheap one. It also makes the car appear smaller than it is, but not in a good way. Hopefully they will fix the tail lights and straighten them out on the refresh in a couple years?
I really don't have a problem with the Altima's looks. IMO, the Accord is the best looker of this trio. Oddly enough, it's the 6 that is the biggest let-down in person. It seems like a design that was close to being special but the designers ran out of time getting to that point.
Old 04-24-13, 01:56 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Thank you! Finally someone else who sees it too. It's like a crooked picture on the wall. Except with the car, you can't walk up to the lights and straigthen them out. I don't see what Nissan was trying to accomplish by having them a few degrees off.
Old 04-24-13, 02:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
So in the Camry vs Accord review they felt the Camry interior was of better materials and quality than the Accord. Might start a riot here
No riots from me. But I will say, though, that, in comparing the latest-generation (2013) Accord and (2012) Camry interiors, I found the two about equal in overall quality of materials and execution. I really couldn't tell much difference now between the two. But, IMO, that was clearly not the case in the last-generation (2006-2011) Camry, where a number of interior trim pieces and hardware seemed done in thin, budget-grade plastic, and, in the manual-climate-control versions, large cheap ***** that wobbled and felt loose as you gripped and rotated them. The last Accord, to my senses, didn't have that problem.
Old 04-24-13, 02:48 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by speedflex
What gets me about these mid sizers... any of them, is that they are as well-equipped and in many ways just as sophisticated as some luxury cars of only a few years ago. The parity in the car market seems to be getting closer all the time.
http://blogs.motortrend.com/one-ford...lem-26343.html

It's about buying the badge!

The 6 is a REALLY good looking car. I always thought the outgoing 6 was better looking than the rest, but this one aesthetically blows them all away. I like how Mazda's designs usually do a good job of not imitating.

And the fact that they can keep a non CVT going with similar mileage is pretty cool too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Edmunds.com 2013 Honda Accord vs. 2014 Mazda 6 vs. 2013 Nissan Altima Comparison Test