Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Vespa 946 priced at $10,000. Really...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-13, 09:07 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Vespa 946 priced at $10,000. Really...

125cc motor.

11.6 horsepower.

129 mpg.

BUT FOR $10k?!?

Vespa 946 priced at $9,946
HFL Link

RideApart has confirmed that the all-new Vespa 946 will be priced at $9,946 when it goes on-sale in the US in November. Production of the technologically advanced scooter will be “very limited,” delivering a bike equipped not only with a 129mpg motor, but also ABS and traction control.

That price is probably raising your eyebrow, and it should. The current 150cc Vespa range starts at just $4,599.

So what’s going on here?

The 946′s new motor is an air-cooled, fuel-injected 3-valve 4-stroke. It’s a 125 with 11.6bhp at 8,250rpm and 7.6lb/ft at 7,000rpm. Why air cooled? Water pumps and radiators are expensive and scooters are supposed to be cheap. The modern fuel injection system works with a three-way catalytic converter to cut emissions by 30 percent (!) and Vespa says that it will be good enough not only for the current Euro3 standards, but future emissions regulations as well.
Much attention was paid to fluid dynamics within the cylinder as well as reducing fictional losses by mounting all moving parts, for the first time, on bearings.

The 946 does adhere to some traditions. The monocoque body doubles as the frame, but instead of the traditional all-steel construction, it incorporates aluminum side plates, fenders, seat unit and handlebars to drop weight. That’ll make it both more efficient and easier to ride.

Also contributing to that ease of use is a wheelbase longer than current long-body models, but steering geometry sharper than that of the short-bodies. More stability and faster steering than either in the 946.

All that sounds like a much-needed update to the traditional Vespa formula, right? Well, pricing the 946 at $10k seems to indicate that there’s two potential paths forward: 1) it serves as a design-led halo product for the brand, with the technology and that new motor trickling down to other, more affordable models in the range. 2) This initial model year of the 946 is intended to capture early adopters and will eventually reduce its price as production volume ramps up.

Either way, the investment it took to develop this new motor means that it must be used in a volume product and Piaggio is adding TC and ABS to literally every other bike it makes, so it’s logical those safety aids will make it to other Vespas too.
For the same price, you can get a lot more bike with other brands and models...
Old 04-22-13, 10:47 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Is Vespa even that "revered"? That's an outrageous price for a scooter
Old 04-22-13, 11:53 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Is Vespa even that "revered"? That's an outrageous price for a scooter
Other than Harley Davidson, I find no other motorcycle company (if fact, no other car company) that has a more enthusiastic and dedicated group of owners than Vespa.

Still, $10k is a lot of money, even for enthusiasts.

I can imagine this model to be a collectible as the first liquid-cooled modern Vespa. I hypothesize that future liquid-cooled Vespas will be less expensive, but just as performance-capable and fuel-frugal.
Old 04-22-13, 12:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Other than Harley Davidson, I find no other motorcycle company (if fact, no other car company) that has a more enthusiastic and dedicated group of owners than Vespa.

Still, $10k is a lot of money, even for enthusiasts.

I can imagine this model to be a collectible as the first liquid-cooled modern Vespa. I hypothesize that future liquid-cooled Vespas will be less expensive, but just as performance-capable and fuel-frugal.
I might actually challenge that with the Mini brand (IMO). Pretty fierce loyalty and Mini owners seeing other Mini owners on the road are hilarious to watch. They're like children smiling and waving
Old 04-22-13, 12:06 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

i think i can run faster than this bike
Old 04-22-13, 01:29 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I might actually challenge that with the Mini brand (IMO). Pretty fierce loyalty and Mini owners seeing other Mini owners on the road are hilarious to watch. They're like children smiling and waving
I find it rare to see a MINI-only meet before. They usually are encompassed into BMW meets, but are moreorless ignored by BMW enthusiasts.

Still, I have been in the midst of a "gang" of Vespa owners, splitting lanes on PCH, waving Ciao to all, usually dressed as hipsters or in Italian mod fashion as if playing an extra part in Roman Holiday.

Old 04-22-13, 06:47 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yikes! To quote the article, "scooters are supposed to be cheap" . . . What happened?

In its defense, it is a beautiful work of art, but for $10K, maybe a nice display case would be more appropriate . . .
Old 04-22-13, 07:58 PM
Fly4u
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The article suggests production will be "very limited." Ah yes, limited mostly by virtue of price!