Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus GS300h revealed at Shanghai Motor Show

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-13, 07:12 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GS 300h makes sense, politically, in certain countries. If you live in a country where you are taxed based on your engine's displacement, its carbon dioxide output, or receive tax breaks for purchasing a hybrid, then, sure it makes sense. If your fuel is taxed to extremely high levels to discourage personal transportation, sure, it makes sense. Note that only the GS 250 and GS 450h is available in Europe. For that political region, the GS 300h fits in nicely. The European Union has made purchasing a gasoline-engined 3.5 liter V6 prohibitively expensive for most of the population and, as such, the GS 350 is not available for sale there.

In countries where consumers have additional freedom, unencumbered by as many social engineering taxes, the product line is different. In the United States and the Middle East Lexus offers the choice between the GS 350 and GS 450h as that is what consumers want, not "what they have to buy".
Old 04-22-13, 09:13 AM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
In countries where consumers have additional freedom, unencumbered by as many social engineering taxes, the product line is different. In the United States and the Middle East Lexus offers the choice between the GS 350 and GS 450h as that is what consumers want, not "what they have to buy".
I live in US, but I WANT GS300h.
Old 04-22-13, 10:50 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sears1234
I live in US, but I WANT GS300h.
I live in the US, and I want IS 300h F sport with real leather.
Old 04-22-13, 11:23 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
I live in the US, and I want IS 300h F sport with real leather.
Amen
Old 04-22-13, 04:01 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by sears1234
It will be very very silly if Lexus doesn't sell GS 300H in US soon.
You missed the part where the IS 300h isn't even offered the US???

US <- lexus
Old 04-22-13, 06:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
is there LWB GS in China? Do rest of us really need LWB GS?

Should we start petition for Toyota to offer all of their 120 models worldwide? :-)
No but its a big market in China. For whatever reason, LWB mid-size sedans are big sellers there.

I think a 300h GS here would be awesome

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Good question. I don't think there is, but the ES supposedly does
Wow, I had no idea about that. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Amen

Another AMEN

Old 04-22-13, 07:09 PM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lexus still thinks that just because the gas is cheaper in the US compared to other countries or that people will just go for the gas version having the hybrid... The ES300h proved them wrong. There's a demand, almost 25-30% of the total sales of the ES comes from the hybrid version, that's great news. I believe there's a market for the IS300h as for the GS300h.
Old 05-04-13, 11:51 AM
@lpher
Lead Lap

I just wish Lexus would take the european market seriously and bring us touring/stationwagon versions of the IS and GS. Today the only vehicles that fit into this category somewhat are the CT and the RX. IS and GS wont reach higher numbers when they are only available as 4 door sedans.
Old 05-06-13, 08:01 PM
LexFather

Not sure why we can't get this...the GS cannot just live on one big huge 3.5 liter V-6..... they need a smaller engine as well and a more MPG oriented hybrid

Old 05-07-13, 01:30 AM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Not sure why we can't get this...the GS cannot just live on one big huge 3.5 liter V-6.....
The ES is/was able to live on that same one big huge 3.5 liter V-6, why can't the GS?
Old 05-07-13, 06:12 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
The ES is/was able to live on that same one big huge 3.5 liter V-6, why can't the GS?
the ES 300h is here. If you would like an education on the luxury market please let me know I would be happy to explain.

In short the one engine option is just an old method while the Germans pound the market with multiple engine choices here. Their 3.5 liters are the mid level upgrade they all offer smaller entry level engines.

Old 05-07-13, 07:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

the ES 300h is here. If you would like an education on the luxury market please let me know I would be happy to explain.

In short the one engine option is just an old method while the Germans pound the market with multiple engine choices here. Their 3.5 liters are the mid level upgrade they all offer smaller entry level engines.
i have driven GS250, and it is very slow engine for car such as GS... I am not so sure that GS300h is much faster.

ES is 500lbs lighter FWD comfy luxury car.
Old 05-07-13, 07:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
i have driven GS250, and it is very slow engine for car such as GS... I am not so sure that GS300h is much faster.

ES is 500lbs lighter FWD comfy luxury car.
AUDI sells a FWD, CVt 200hp I-4 base A6 here.
BMW sells a 528 I-4 with 240hp
I believe the new CTS will also have a base engine before you jump to the V-6

Mercedes starts with a 3.5 V-6 but its the status quo and has coupes, wagons and AMG.

THe old way was Lexus offering one engine in one car, they have got to offer more engine choices as the luxury market has moved to smaller engines. Tons of people could care less about speed they just want a nice mid-size package at a great price.

If Lexus keeps the GS at one engine sales here will be flat at best.

Old 05-07-13, 09:01 AM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Ya, if we dont get the 300h, the 250 would at least be a nice option. I'm pretty sure it'll sell like hotcakes. Lower prices always brings in more customers in the long run.

Speaking of lower prices, it is not really fair to compare the fact that we have an ES with one 3.5 V6. It is cheaper than the GS, and i dont think the demographic that shops for the ES considers sportier rides like the GS.
Old 05-07-13, 09:21 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

AUDI sells a FWD, CVt 200hp I-4 base A6 here.
BMW sells a 528 I-4 with 240hp
I believe the new CTS will also have a base engine before you jump to the V-6

Mercedes starts with a 3.5 V-6 but its the status quo and has coupes, wagons and AMG.

THe old way was Lexus offering one engine in one car, they have got to offer more engine choices as the luxury market has moved to smaller engines. Tons of people could care less about speed they just want a nice mid-size package at a great price.

If Lexus keeps the GS at one engine sales here will be flat at best.
They'll also be bringing in the E250 with its 4-cyl diesel soon to do battle as their base high-mpg engine. I still think Lexus is still figuring out what they want to do with the GS. I think it should turn into a 4-door coupe. They don't have much to lose.

Quick Reply: Lexus GS300h revealed at Shanghai Motor Show