Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Akio Toyoda making special announcement: confirmed to build ES350 in Kentucky, USA

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-13, 08:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
bit,the early '10 RX350's made in Canada has some quality issues.
production line startups often have challenges. but that's what continuous improvement is all about, and finding out what's being done differently in the two locations.

Originally Posted by spwolf
so did any early lexus models built in japan... 2IS, 3gs and last es too...

i used to work for toyota and never saw a problem related to factory, they were all model related.. in fact, usually same suppliers build parts in different factories, they build around toyota....

its all abouz QA and Toyota is best there... i would have no problems buying lexus made in china....
post of the day.

Originally Posted by rominl
"Lexus was founded in the United States, so it is only fitting that we are bringing the production of luxury sedans for our U.S. customers back to where the brand was born"

just like my friend said when i told him the news. "if that's what he said, then why not make all the lexus in the US now and all toyota in the japan?"
another excellent post

Originally Posted by cino
The matter is TQM of the production.
yup

If being built in the US, make a car worse, stop... I mean stop praising BMW and Mercedes anymore.
well bmw and mercedes have made buggy vehicles around the world. but they've definitely improved in recent years.
Old 04-20-13, 01:29 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
well bmw and mercedes have made buggy vehicles around the world. but they've definitely improved in recent years.
Just consistency in German manufacturing.
Old 10-10-14, 07:17 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus ES 350 Production in Kentucky to Start by Late 2015

The Lexus manufacturing plant in Georgetown, Kentucky is getting ready for the production of the ES 350, with much of the construction required for the new 307,310 square-foot facility either completed or in progress.

Equipment at the existing plant will also be improved to facilitate production, and staff is also undergoing extensive training for assembly of the Lexus model — from the Lexington Herald-Leader:

Group leader John Kidd holds up a manual roughly the size of an encyclopedia volume. That, he said, is a summary of the steps for one part of moon-roof installation.

First, the leaders study the set of instructions as thick as their fists. Then, Kidd and team leader Scott Peach will practice bolt installation in the roof again and again, initially for correct placement and solid installation, later for time. Then they will teach it to some of the employees who will be working in the new plant.

First build trials will begin in March 2015, with production expected to start late next year. An estimated 50,000 ES 350s will be built annually.
http://lexusenthusiast.com/2014/10/0...art-late-2015/
Old 10-11-14, 08:47 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

Lexus, at least make some of the cars in Kentucky and some of the cars in Japan, like you used to do with the Camry. That way everyone has a real choice. I would not buy a Lexus made in America, because I do not feel that most American workers have the same work ethics as Japanese workers as a result of seeing things at work here all of my life. At least give people a real choice between the two countries.

Last edited by Akachan LS; 10-11-14 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-11-14, 08:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

They will still make the ES in Japan...likely for other markets.

You have to realize the economics at work here. They're not going to pay tariffs and import some ES's and not others.

Personally I don't think its going to be an issue.
Old 10-11-14, 09:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Akachan LS
Lexus, at least make some of the cars in Kentucky and some of the cars in Japan, like you used to do with the Camry. That way everyone has a real choice. I would not buy a Lexus made in America, because I do not feel that most American workers have the same work ethics as Japanese workers as a result of seeing things at work here all of my life. At least give people a real choice between the two countries.
It's narrow-mindedness like this that continues such a negative views of American manufacturing. Would you buy an RX from Canada? Lexus fully implements their practices and protocols regardless of what soil their factories are on.
Old 10-11-14, 09:58 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It's narrow-mindedness like this that continues such a negative views of American manufacturing. Would you buy an RX from Canada? Lexus fully implements their practices and protocols regardless of what soil their factories are on.
Narrow-mindedness,? How about calling a Spade a Spade Like I have just done. Not everyone feels as you do. Let's cut throught the BS. The truth hurts. Like I said, I don't feel that most American workers have the same work ethic and dedication to quality, and I stand by that! You are not helping anyone by ignoring this. Not everyone will agree. The only way to make everyone happy is to build some in America and some in Japan.
Old 10-11-14, 10:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The only way to make everyone happy is to build some in America and some in Japan.
Spoken like somebody with absolutely zero business knowledge. They will not sell Japan built ES's in the US once this plant is up and running smoothly. They simply cannot afford to build a car like the ES in Japan and import it into the US at that price point any longer. They're not trying to "make people happy", they're trying to sell cars for a profit...and 99% of buyers will have no idea if its built in the US or Japan. This is good news as it will give them a little room to improve the ES.

As for American plant quality...can you show us some data that shows a drop in quality when they starting building the Honda Accord, or the Toyota Camry, or a myriad of BMWs...I have a friend that has a new South Carolina built X5 and a German built 335 convertible, she sees no quality difference between the two.

As others have said, Japanese Lexus plant quality is not above reproach. Look at rattle complaints on later model Lexus cars built at tahara...

Have a little faith in your country.
Old 10-11-14, 10:11 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Spoken like somebody with absolutely zero business knowledge. They will not sell Japan built ES's in the US once this plant is up and running smoothly. They simply cannot afford to build a car like the ES in Japan and import it into the US at that price point any longer. They're not trying to "make people happy", they're trying to sell cars for a profit...and 99% of buyers will have no idea if its built in the US or Japan. This is good news as it will give them a little room to improve the ES.

As for American plant quality...can you show us some data that shows a drop in quality when they starting building the Honda Accord, or the Toyota Camry, or a myriad of BMWs...I have a friend that has a new South Carolina built X5 and a German built 335 convertible, she sees no quality difference between the two.

As others have said, Japanese Lexus plant quality is not above reproach. Look at rattle complaints on later model Lexus cars built at tahara..

Have a little faith in your country.

You just need to get real. That is all I have to say.
Old 10-11-14, 10:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You just need to get real. That is all I have to say.
HAHA, you're the one wanting Lexus to build the ES in Japan AND in the US "so people have a choice" and I need to get real? That viewpoint is so naiive and out of touch its hilarious. This is a business...they're going to do what makes them the most money...thats how business works. If you don't want to buy a US built ES, better buy one now. If you don't its okay, 70,000 other people will every year.

Do what I said...if what you say is true we should see a significant drop in Camry/Accord/etc sales when production was moved to the US from Japan. Or when the RX was shifted from Japan to Canada. Post the data here.
Old 10-11-14, 10:20 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

HAHA, you're the one wanting Lexus to build the ES in Japan AND in the US "so people have a choice" and I need to get real? That viewpoint is so naiive and out of touch its hilarious. This is a business...they're going to do what makes them the most money...thats how business works. If you don't want to buy a US built ES, better buy one now. If you don't its okay, 70,000 other people will every year.

Do what I said...if what you say is true we should see a significant drop in Camry/Accord/etc sales when production was moved to the US from Japan. Or when the RX was shifted from Japan to Canada. Post the data here.
LOL, I think you are the one that is out of touch. The truth just hurts too much. And for your information Japan created Lexus, not North America.!
Old 10-11-14, 10:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Why would it hurt me? I don't work for Lexus, nor do I or anybody I know work in the Auto manufacturing industry either in Japan or here. I likely will never purchase another ES so what do I care?

Like I said...post the data, prove your point.

When did I say North America created Lexus? Lexus was created in Japan, however it and the LS were specifically designed for the US market and US roads. Lexus and the LS were first launched here, unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show. The brand didn't even exist in Japan until 2005.

Lexus exists because of the US.
Old 10-11-14, 10:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Narrow-mindedness,? How about calling a Spade a Spade Like I have just done. Not everyone feels as you do. Let's cut throught the BS. The truth hurts. Like I said, I don't feel that most American workers have the same work ethic and dedication to quality, and I stand by that! You are not helping anyone by ignoring this. Not everyone will agree. The only way to make everyone happy is to build some in America and some in Japan.
Lol clearly . I'm being objective and you want to segregate Lexus based on their country of origin. You're entitled to your opinion but assumptions are not facts. Stereotypes are close but again not fact. And assuming how people think, is for lack of a better word, ignorant. Regardless, the nationalistic view doesn't have much use in a business world that is becoming so international. And again company practices and protocols are implemented (and strictly enforced by Lexus). In the end the gist of what you're saying is you don't want American built ES's because you assume American's don't take pride in their work. That's fine, enjoy. Stop hating on the other thousands who enjoy their ES's. I'd hate to know how you feel about Mexican made Mazda's and VW's. And you still never answered the Canada Lexus question
Old 10-11-14, 10:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

GET REAL Hoovey
Old 10-11-14, 10:54 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

GET REAL Hoovey
Really That's funny?

Quick Reply: Akio Toyoda making special announcement: confirmed to build ES350 in Kentucky, USA